Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #881
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Agreed. Not sure where you can a C like that other than a Cirelli offer sheet, and even that might not work, plus he's not yet at Monahan's level offensively.

Some think Lindholm to C would work, but I'm not so sure. Plus then you lose our only right shooting RW.
This was my line of thinking for a long time, but not anymore. Centers are more important than wingers, but he's just a far better winger than center.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #882
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Agreed. Not sure where you can a C like that other than a Cirelli offer sheet, and even that might not work, plus he's not yet at Monahan's level offensively.

Some think Lindholm to C would work, but I'm not so sure. Plus then you lose our only right shooting RW.
If Hall is a primary target for Treliving and CGY is primary for Hall, I still think the time is now for a Gaudreau trade for that Center. Don't know. I wish we had an off season to talk about instead of this covid purgatory. I'd like to see trees vision for whats next.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:12 PM   #883
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone post the analytics on Lindholm as center and also as RW? Wasn't he slotted as RW because Peters thought he couldn't handle the center role, when in reality he is more than capable of doing so?

I am just curious because I don't know the correct answer or evidence behind any of this. I also want to know if it would be in our best interest giving Lindholm a shot as center for a long period of time. I don't have any website/article/tweet to back this up but hasn't Lindholm said before he prefers to play as center? If so, shouldn't we get a larger sample size at Lindholm being center? It would be great if we got the next Bergeron/Kopitar/ROR kind of center if Lindholm has the ability to be that game breaking 2-way center we sorely lack.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #884
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
If Hall is a primary target for Treliving and CGY is primary for Hall, I still think the time is now for a Gaudreau trade for that Center. Don't know. I wish we had an off season to talk about instead of this covid purgatory. I'd like to see trees vision for whats next.
Yeah I would agree with that, I just don't think you can get a proven C for Gaudreau, you'd have to snag an up and comer and hope he would develop quickly. Someone like Frost perhaps...

Frost ++

Philly seems like such a logical choice for a Gaudreau trade for obvious reasons. They could use a LW like him, he's likely to re-sign there, they have some good young pieces, and are trying to win now so might part with those pieces to add a Gaudreau, etc...

I mean you could double down on young C's and maybe see if you could get Frost and Patrick plus maybe a prospect like Brink or something...

Patrick is a tough one though, he's probably worth a lot more to the Flyers than he would be in a trade right now because of his injury history and all.

I dunno.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #885
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I agree, Philly could be the best fit.
Frost, a 1st and another prospect/player for JG makes too much sense.
Then sign a UFA. Preferably Hall.

You have to see value in Frost though. I think he is going to be a very good player.

Edit to add that Calgary would need to take back some salary in any deal for JG pretty much.

Last edited by SportsJunky; 07-06-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #886
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Can someone post the analytics on Lindholm as center and also as RW? Wasn't he slotted as RW because Peters thought he couldn't handle the center role, when in reality he is more than capable of doing so?

I am just curious because I don't know the correct answer or evidence behind any of this. I also want to know if it would be in our best interest giving Lindholm a shot as center for a long period of time. I don't have any website/article/tweet to back this up but hasn't Lindholm said before he prefers to play as center? If so, shouldn't we get a larger sample size at Lindholm being center? It would be great if we got the next Bergeron/Kopitar/ROR kind of center if Lindholm has the ability to be that game breaking 2-way center we sorely lack.
They wanted him at center but it was insane to break up the top line when things were going so well. And, they did move Lindy to C for a while but put Backs on the wing for some.weird reason.

At any rate. I THINK lindholm is a #1 RW but a 2/3C. His offensive output would slow but the rest of his game would break out.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #887
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I agree, Philly could be the best fit.
Frost, a 1st and another prospect/player for JG makes too much sense.
Then sign a UFA. Preferably Hall.

You have to see value in Frost though. I think he is going to be a very good player.
Philly's 1st is tentatively the 25th overall pick, that's not a huge piece. Morgan Frost is 21 years old, and has 7 points in 20 NHL games. I feel like there's a weird love for that guy.

If Johnny gets moved, it will be for a significant package - I don't think a deal around Frost and a 25th overall pick is anywhere near enough. If Johnny is getting moved, a top-ten pick and/or a top tier prospect is coming back.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-06-2020 at 05:33 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #888
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Philly's 1st is tentatively the 25th overall pick, that's not a huge piece. Morgan Frost is 21 years old, and has 7 points in 20 NHL games. I feel like there's a weird love for that guy.

If Johnny gets moved, it will be for a significant package - I don't think a deal around Frost and a 25th overall pick is anywhere near enough.
I'd want one of Frost/Myers, a 2020/2021 1st, and Sanheim.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #889
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd want one of Frost/Myers, a 2020/2021 1st, and Sanheim.
If we're looking at Philly, I'm looking at Patrick - 1st overall in a weaker draft aside, he projects to be somewhere around a 2nd line centre, and Johnny is an elite LW. I don't think the Flyers picks are that enticing, and adding a defenceman that will cause expansion draft complications don't fit in my eyes.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #890
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau for Frost + Patrick
Bennett for Anderson

Hall - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Frost - Anderson
Mangia - Backlund - Patrick
Lucic - Dube - Ryan

Groom Frost right away as a top 6 C with good wingers
Groom Patrick with Backlund, get some reps at C bring him along slow
Groom Dube at C with Ryan kicking around too

Always better to have more Cs than you need and shift them to the wings.

There'd still be money for a UFA D like Vatanen, Barrie or maybe even Brodie.

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Vatanen
Valimaki - Kylington

Rittich

That leaves about $5-6 million for a goalie and depth players if you get Hall for around $8 million AAV and Vatanen for around $5 million AAV.

Not sure if it's a better team, it would really depend on how good Frost, Patrick and Anderson are I guess.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #891
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I want Travis Sanheim coming back in any trade with Philly. Ex-Hitmen RHD.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #892
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If Johnny gets moved, it will be for a significant package - I don't think a deal around Frost and a 25th overall pick is anywhere near enough. If Johnny is getting moved, a top-ten pick and/or a top tier prospect is coming back.
Frost is fast and has produced at every level. Konecny had just 28 points in 70 games when he was 21 years old for Philly. f the Flames think Frost will develop then you have to get him now, if he busts out next year he's untouchable just like Konecny is now.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #893
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we're looking at Philly, I'm looking at Patrick - 1st overall in a weaker draft aside, he projects to be somewhere around a 2nd line centre, and Johnny is an elite LW. I don't think the Flyers picks are that enticing, and adding a defenceman that will cause expansion draft complications don't fit in my eyes.
Sanheim would be protected. Giordano would be left unprotected.

If Seattle decides to take Giordano, then that's on them. They could have gotten someone young like Kylington.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #894
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think these are the deals I'd be happy to see:

To PHI: Johnny Gaudreau, 2020 96th Overall
To CGY: Nolan Patrick, 2020 25th Overall

To BUF: Johnny Gaudreau
To CGY: Sam Reinhart or Dylan Cozens, 2020 8th Overall
Old 07-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #895
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Nolan Patrick’s health issues scare me.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #896
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Nolan Patrick’s health issues scare me.
Yeah, and Calgary being what it is for migraines could also be an added level of complexity.

It sounds like Patrick is ready to return though...but yeah, big question mark.

Quote:
Sanheim would be protected. Giordano would be left unprotected.

If Seattle decides to take Giordano, then that's on them. They could have gotten someone young like Kylington.
I just don't see the Flames putting themselves in a position to expose Giordano.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-06-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #897
ballin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I think these are the deals I'd be happy to see:

To PHI: Johnny Gaudreau, 2020 96th Overall
To CGY: Nolan Patrick, 2020 25th Overall
Booooooooooooooooo
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ballin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #898
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I don’t why you are booing that is a completely fair return and us gambling on a potential first line Center. I don’t hate it.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #899
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would much rather take my chances with Cozens and 8th OA than Patrick and 25th OA and its not even close
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #900
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny to Philly has a cap problem for the Flyers. The obvious solution is to acquire Voracek with a salary balance with Gaudreau, but the other option is to sell Johnny at 50% retained for a larger return.

Johnny (50%) for Morgan Frost, Bobby Brink, 2020 1st and Travis Sanheim.
Closed Thread