Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2020, 08:09 PM   #901
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Eskimos should just make the change already. To hell with their market research in northern Canada. Just do it already. I think teams that are still dragging their heels are already way behind the 8-ball. At this point they can barely save face but it's better than leaving the names alone.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #902
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I think the Eskimos should just make the change already. To hell with their market research in northern Canada. Just do it already. I think teams that are still dragging their heels are already way behind the 8-ball. At this point they can barely save face but it's better than leaving the names alone.
As much research as they do, there is still going to be a minority who is offended. So just make the change. Doing research is like saying there is a reasonable number of people that is allowed to be offended and they are seeing if they meet that threshold.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #903
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
As much research as they do, there is still going to be a minority who is offended. So just make the change. Doing research is like saying there is a reasonable number of people that is allowed to be offended and they are seeing if they meet that threshold.
Agreed. Our society has been trending in such a way where these things are increasingly becoming less tolerable. If you need to do market research into this sort of thing, it is probably a good sign that there is an issue. There shouldn't be any question.

Would franchises really lose a lot of money or fans if they changed their branding? If anything, I would think there would be a huge surge in merchandise sales.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:58 PM   #904
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
So with regard to the Eskimos in particular, what if they were called the Edmonton Inuit?

I think one of the problems is still that it is one culture appropriating another’s.

If Notre Dame came up with their name due to it’s strong ties with Irish community or because the organization was mainly Irish, that’s one thing, but a team with no ties at all is another. Who came up with the name for the Red Skins or Blackhawks?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:32 AM   #905
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think one of the problems is still that it is one culture appropriating another’s.

If Notre Dame came up with their name due to it’s strong ties with Irish community or because the organization was mainly Irish, that’s one thing, but a team with no ties at all is another. Who came up with the name for the Red Skins or Blackhawks?
Precisely. Additionally, that culture been persecuted towards the verge of extinction.

It is part of the complexity of understanding cultural legacy and its impacts.

The cultural amnesia First Nations communities experience from residential schools and cultural homilies is tragic.

It also exemplifies & amplifies how horrific the realization that black Americans contemplate upon realization that they have variable skin complexions because their ancestors originated on in different areas of a different continent and were sexually assaulted by white slave owner/ancestors who sold off their own “illegitimate” children on slave markets.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:37 AM   #906
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been told my whole my whole life that the term "Eskimo"was offensive to them, and that they preferrred the term "Inuit". Not sure who they are asking about it...
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:52 AM   #907
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
e=ng
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:06 AM   #908
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I've been told my whole my whole life that the term "Eskimo"was offensive to them, and that they preferrred the term "Inuit". Not sure who they are asking about it...
Preferring Inuit doesn't mean they are offended by Eskimo. I've met very few Inuit people offended by the term Eskimo. In fact some bands actually prefer use the term Eskimo and still us it in their name.

It's like how white folks decided it wasn't okay to call us black, and replaced it with "African American", despite not all black people being African. Most of these changes in terms are virtue signalling due to white guilt and don't actually come from people of color.

As long as the Eskimos aren't using a caricature as a mascot, which they don't (I believe it's a polar bear?), I think they are in pretty good shape and in the same category as the Seminoles.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #909
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we were Inuit, I don't think any of us would appreciate being called an Eskimo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #910
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of all the controversial names I can’t believe Redskins has flown for this long. That name was the one name that always stuck out to me for all the wrong reasons.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #911
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Of all the controversial names I can’t believe Redskins has flown for this long. That name was the one name that always stuck out to me for all the wrong reasons.
No doubt.

https://indiancountrytoday.com/archi...VECg2scBdrVtAA

Quote:
Chris Rock: ‘Redskins? That’s not Nice. That’s a Racial Slur’
Comedian Chris Rock knew the word Redskins was a racial slur long before half of the U.S. Senate did, and perhaps, even President Obama.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #912
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
What about the Washington Swamp Monsters?

Home

Away
Too terrifying!!
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:08 AM   #913
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I posted this in the thread about Floyd, but I expect if Washington does change their team name, it will be to the Pigskins
Old 07-07-2020, 02:13 AM   #914
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I posted this in the thread about Floyd, but I expect if Washington does change their team name, it will be to the Pigskins
That's offensive to animals.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #915
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the Redskins name wasn’t still in use, the use of the Fleur dis lis by the Saints would seem insane.

https://centralrecorder.org/62445/op...ge-their-logo/

Quote:
The fleur-de-lis had many uses, but the most sinister was in the slave trade. The fleur-de-lis was used to brand slaves, like cattle, as discipline for attempting to escape. The practice took place not just in Louisiana, but French settlements around the world. The symbol was branded on slaves so if they did escape, there would be no mistaking to whom they belonged.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #916
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
If the Redskins name wasn’t still in use, the use of the Fleur dis lis by the Saints would seem insane.
I think this is a bit of a stretch. The Fleur-de-lis is a symbol that is literally thousands of years old and is used on dozens of flags worldwide. Although it often represents the Holy Trinity, I believe in this context it represents Catholic saints and New Orleans' French heritage.

As with any symbol that has been around for that long, (and sadly, especially ones closely tied to religion) it has been used for nefarious purposes from time to time but I would argue that it is hardly synonymous with slavery. I guess if we look hard enough we can find something bad in just about anything, but I think there are far bigger fish to fry at the moment.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #917
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there no anger for the Blackhawks because the jersey is so nice?
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #918
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post

https://centralrecorder.org/62445/op...ge-their-logo/
Bad people using something to do terrible things does not make that thing terrible. It is a symbol of French heritage, not the slave trade.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #919
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
No, it's likely because it is named after a military unit that was named after an individual person and their logo is about as realistic as it can get, it's not an offensive caricature like the Indians Chief Wahoo or the old Braves logo froom pre-1990
Old 07-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #920
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
They're on the list, they're just not as high on the list as the Redskins and Indians.

If you subscribe to The Athletic, they had a story last week about the issue: https://theathletic.com/1888307/2020...american-logo/