Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2021, 09:10 PM   #13761
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
If Treliving allows Eichel to go to a divisional rival he should be fired on the spot.
What an utterly ridiculous comment. Like Treliving has the ability to stop Buffalo from making a deal with a Pacific team. If Buffalo wants top prospects and high picks the Flames can’t offer that.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 09:11 PM   #13762
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If Treliving allows Eichel to go to a divisional rival he should be fired on the spot.
How would he even stop that from happening?
Some things are just out of his control. No?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rollin22x For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 09:11 PM   #13763
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, like he has a choice. C'mon man.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #13764
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What an utterly ridiculous comment. Like Treliving has the ability to stop Buffalo from making a deal with a Pacific team. If Buffalo wants top prospects and high picks the Flames can’t offer that.
Or, you know, Brad could man up, do his job, and have Kevyn Adams killed.

I mean put the most competitive offer on the table - Ie gross overpayment, including several years worth of 1st round picks.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #13765
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Gio falling off is to be expected given his age.

Monahan, I’m not convinced he is as bad as most are currently thinking.

Gaudreau played most of the season with an injured Monahan and a 4th line winger.

Tkachuk is the type of guy I truly believe thrives with fans in the seats, it’s not a good excuse or even a free pass for him but he isn’t what he was this season. He looked horrible you are not wrong but there were signs of him coming back around when they put him on a line with Johnny.

My overall point is I think it could be regrettable to trade players like Tkachuk after one bad season.

Players have bad seasons. Even the best of the best do. Kopitar after a 52pt season, in 16/17, was thought to be on the downside of his career. He followed that up with a 92pt season the following year and has been flirting with a pt/g pace since his down year.

Tkachuk is 23yo. This kids skill set is not depreciating.

He will only get better.
I think you may misunderstand a lot of people and trading Tkachuk. IMHO The only way Tkachuk is acceptable as a trade chip is for Eichel. Period. I don't see any other scenario to trade him and its not about him being "bad", it's the return specifically that return.

I know all about Eichels neck but its got to be 97% he still plays.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GS Skier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 10:01 PM   #13766
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Seeing as I had overlooked the presence of a blue chip goaltending prospect in the Sabres system, I’ll revise my Ducks pitch for Eichel:

Comtois
Manson/Henrique
2021 #3OA pick

Maybe add Max Jones with the Sabres throwing in a 3rd or something
There is zero chance in hell the Sabres take that. There is nothing forcing the Sabres to trade Eichel, he is under contract for 5 more years and he is not going to forgo his big salary by sitting out either. I think the Sabres would like to move on but they are not just taking a low ball offer for their franchise centre. I agree the 3rd overall is in play here but so does one of Drysdale or Zegras or the Sabres hang up.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:42 PM   #13767
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Lol, like he has a choice. C'mon man.

Last edited by JBR; 06-17-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:47 PM   #13768
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Liam Kirk, a player mentioned earlier in this thread, has agreed to an entry-level deal with Arizona. Was an all-star alongside Mangiapane at the Worlds. First British-trained player ever drafted into the NHL.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1405741554157846538

Last edited by TheScorpion; 06-17-2021 at 10:50 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 01:23 AM   #13769
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So, if necessary, he should trade Johnny, Lindholm, Hanafin and Tkachuk to make sure he gets it done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2021, 02:59 AM   #13770
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Depends on what the return is, I said it before and I'll say it again, Treliving is like his father, he needs to believe 100% that he's winning any trade, he doesn't want to take any risks that may backfire but it also means he won't hit many homeruns either. Mark Stone would have made this team a hell of a lot better than Valimaki ever will even if they had to pay him $9.5m to keep him. Good GM's don't sit on their hands waiting to fleece another GM, Good GM's make deals, take chances to make their team a contender not take chances on over the hill bum UFA's just looking to cash in on a final contract.

If a divisional rival gets Eichel I will guarantee everyone here will say "we should have beat that offer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
So, if necessary, he should trade Johnny, Lindholm, Hanafin and Tkachuk to make sure he gets it done?
Silliness of this aside we would have a lot of cap space to build around Eichel, with a couple of decent pickups we'd likely be better than the Oilers this year, something we're not right now and won't be unless this team makes a couple of major changes.

There's is not 2 current players plus a prospect on this team I wouldn't trade for Eichel
Old 06-18-2021, 04:06 AM   #13771
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again with Mark friggin Stone?

He was a pending free agent who didn't want to sign in Calgary FFS.

Treliving would have to be monumentally stupid to trade anything of value for him when he was just going to ####ing walk away as a free agent after a couple of months.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 04:24 AM   #13772
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Again with Mark friggin Stone?

He was a pending free agent who didn't want to sign in Calgary FFS.

Treliving would have to be monumentally stupid to trade anything of value for him when he was just going to ####ing walk away as a free agent after a couple of months.
Please find me a quote from Stone that says this, a good GM's job is to sign players under contract and the flames would have had months to do so, I don't buy this story and never have, the only thing I do believe is Brad didn't like the numbers Mark wanted.

But by all means set me straight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 04:33 AM   #13773
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah you don't buy the story because it goes against the narrative you want to spin. It was widely reported at the time that the Flames had a Stone deal in the works but he had to sign an extension and wouldn't, he wanted to go to Vegas for a few reasons not the least of which was his ties to Kelly Mcrimmon.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:47 AM   #13774
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames fans and management need to come to terms with the fact that the team will not be able to get high end players thru trades or free agency. Calgary is in the same tier as Edmonton as far as least desirable places to play in the league.

Have to draft your talent, there is zero other options. Oilers fumbled their way into to doing this, and you do start to see players taking discounts to reap the benefits of playing with the talent, even if it's just for short term deals (Barrie).

Flames continue to spin their wheels.. At this point, what's another decade till they figure it out...
Old 06-18-2021, 05:01 AM   #13775
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah you don't buy the story because it goes against the narrative you want to spin. It was widely reported at the time that the Flames had a Stone deal in the works but he had to sign an extension and wouldn't, he wanted to go to Vegas for a few reasons not the least of which was his ties to Kelly Mcrimmon.
You have your opinion, I have mine. my opinion is Stone would have took the exact same contract in Calgary but Brad had his ridiculous Gio cap then.

Anyway, water under the bridge now, let's see who gets Eichel and what it costs. Eichel is a once in a GM's lifetime chance to get a potential generational superstar center.

Let's see how he handles it!
Old 06-18-2021, 06:18 AM   #13776
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eichel is NOT a generational superstar. For #### sake people, quit blowing this guy up into something he isn't. He was drafted the same year as the last generational talent to come along, and Eichel is NOT in the same class. Eichel is 220 points behind McDavid in scoring. Eichel is a very good player, but NOT generational and NOT a superstar.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 06:23 AM   #13777
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want Eichel for sure but at the same time there are plenty of variables at play that make it not so cut and dry or as easy as hey it’s a franchise Center go get him and if some other team gets him then your fired.

He’s got injury concerns and not little ones but he’s still going to cost a lot and there is no way I want Treliving get stuck in a bidding war if that’s what this becomes.

Also of note Eichel made a big, big deal changing his number from 15 to 9 when Evander Kane left and said that the number 9 had been a big part of identity in both hockey and his life; not trying to say that 9 being off the table in Calgary is a deal breaker and ultimately he doesn’t have any trade clauses to block a deal to Calgary but the last thing I’d want to see is a disinterested Eichel like the one in Buffalo and at this point all things need to be considered before making such a franchise altering deal.

Lots to consider for sure this summer for Brad and co and I’m glad it’s not up to me hahaha.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:28 AM   #13778
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You have your opinion, I have mine. my opinion is Stone would have took the exact same contract in Calgary but Brad had his ridiculous Gio cap then.

Anyway, water under the bridge now, let's see who gets Eichel and what it costs. Eichel is a once in a GM's lifetime chance to get a potential generational superstar center.

Let's see how he handles it!

I’d say you are the only person on the board who has the opinion that Stone would have signed with Calgary.

And you really believe that Treliving’s belief that if given the opportunity to talk contract with Stone(he wasn’t), his best offer would not have trumped Gio’s deal?

For the record, no contract exceeded Gio’s cap hit until a player came along that deserved it. And then they did, and they exceeded it. The Gio cap actually never existed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #13779
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Eichel is NOT a generational superstar. For #### sake people, quit blowing this guy up into something he isn't. He was drafted the same year as the last generational talent to come along, and Eichel is NOT in the same class. Eichel is 220 points behind McDavid in scoring. Eichel is a very good player, but NOT generational and NOT a superstar.
I am inclined to agree with this. He is definitely a top tier centre in this league. He is no McDavid, or Mackinnon though. Buffalo is an awful, awful team. Usually an extremely elite talent can at least bring the team up to the level of mediocre (see:Edmonton).
Old 06-18-2021, 06:42 AM   #13780
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends on what the return is, I said it before and I'll say it again, Treliving is like his father, he needs to believe 100% that he's winning any trade, he doesn't want to take any risks that may backfire but it also means he won't hit many homeruns either. Mark Stone would have made this team a hell of a lot better than Valimaki ever will even if they had to pay him $9.5m to keep him. Good GM's don't sit on their hands waiting to fleece another GM, Good GM's make deals, take chances to make their team a contender not take chances on over the hill bum UFA's just looking to cash in on a final contract.

If a divisional rival gets Eichel I will guarantee everyone here will say "we should have beat that offer"

Silliness of this aside we would have a lot of cap space to build around Eichel, with a couple of decent pickups we'd likely be better than the Oilers this year, something we're not right now and won't be unless this team makes a couple of major changes.

There's is not 2 current players plus a prospect on this team I wouldn't trade for Eichel

I do not agree with your take. Look at the deal with Carolina. Initial response to that trade was mixed at best with a lot of fans absolutely hating the deal. If Lindholm does not break out the way he did that trade would have been a loss for the Flames and there was a ton of risk.

It is like you want him to make a move to make a move. Reminds me of Jay Feaster when we were all excited to see the return on Regehr which immediately turned to pure anger when you see the return.

I don’t agree with your take on everyone saying “we should have beat that offer” look no further than the Dubois trade where Flamea fans were really hoping to get him. When the deal breaks and it is Laine+Roslivic going the other way most Flames fans knew that was not a price we could match. If Anaheim makes a move where they trade the 3rd pick, another young player and take on that cap hot without sending any salary back it is simply something Calgary couldn’t do.

That leads me to your Mark Stone take and sheer lack of acknowledging the salary cap. I have no idea how the Flames would have been able to make that deal work. At minimum the Flames would have needed the Sens or someone to take back Neal in that trade which would never of happened. The Flames could barely make the cap work that summer with Tkachuk signing a bridge deal let alone sign another player for at least 9.5M.

Treliving didn’t give up the pieces for Stone because he was almost surely a rental. The way that team performed in those playoffs it would have been wasted assets because Stone doesn’t turn thinks around against the Avs.

I definitely do not agree with any 2 players a prospect for Eichel. For instance Tkachuk, Lindholm, Zary/Pelletier is not a price I want the Flames to pay. It doesn’t free up much cap space at all while taking 2 first line players and replacing them for one who is injured.
Closed Thread