Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #1701
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit of seasoning and throwing it on the BBQ is literally what I do with pork. I mean, sure, a bit of cider vinegar towards the end. You can't buy the cheap stuff, but good pork is still cheaper than steak and juicy and delicious. Pork is to bourbon as steak is to scotch, basically.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2021, 02:02 PM   #1702
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Back to pork though, I think I might give curing bacon a go. Need to clear some fridge space first.
We're having pork belly at my house this week.

I blame the previous posters who put up pictures of their pork belly burnt ends. Now I have a fridge full of pork belly from Costco.

Pork belly burnt ends for supper today.

Kenji's sous-vide/deep fried Porchetta tomorrow.

Homemade bacon in about a week.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2021, 03:12 PM   #1703
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don’t mind pork, it just takes a bit more work, in my opinion, instead of a bit of seasoning and throwing it on the BBQ to get the best out of it. Thinly sliced flank prepared with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper is so easy and delicious.

I do see some deals on it at Coop or Save-On occasionally. My last trip to Costco was kind of eye-opening on prices. Even the inexpensive fish like steelhead trout was pricy.

Back to pork though, I think I might give curing bacon a go. Need to clear some fridge space first.
I typically make my own bacon now instead of buying it. I follow the guidelines from Amazing Ribs website and find it works out well. Highly recommend it.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ed-bacon-home/
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 09:56 AM   #1704
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We bought of a box of Beyond Meat burgers at Costco a couple of weeks ago to give them a try. I am not sure if I would go with them again. We put then on the BBQ and cooked like any other burger. I think the problem is the flavour and texture is a little off. My kids thought it tasted like dumpling filling. I had previously only tried a bite from the A&W burger when it came out and I remember it being okay, but I think it had a few things going for it - thinner patty and more condiments. The patties in the box from Costco are basically like hockey pucks, and maybe you can squish them down - we didn’t, but each bite has a very high patty to everything-else ratio. Also, there was a strange burnt rubber smell from the patties a few days later when they were re-heated in the microwave. Anyway, decided to give it a shot, maybe need some tweaking on the patty size next time.

Anybody else try those and able to get better results?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #1705
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
A bit of seasoning and throwing it on the BBQ is literally what I do with pork. I mean, sure, a bit of cider vinegar towards the end. You can't buy the cheap stuff, but good pork is still cheaper than steak and juicy and delicious. Pork is to bourbon as steak is to scotch, basically.
Isn't it "Pork is to steak as bourbon is to scotch, basically"? Anyway, as an avowed scotch-drinker, I think the comparison does a bit of a disservice to pork. A thick, bone-in pork chop, reverse-seared to perfection, is a lovely thing to eat.
GGG
Old 06-16-2021, 01:02 PM   #1706
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One appreciated upside to WFH, I can do prep over lunch break. A couple of times a week I will prepare something for the grill mid day, get things marinating, etc. Lets me do more time consuming recipes during the week since I am ahead of the game by the time dinner rolls around.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 01:17 PM   #1707
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Isn't it "Pork is to steak as bourbon is to scotch, basically"? Anyway, as an avowed scotch-drinker, I think the comparison does a bit of a disservice to pork. A thick, bone-in pork chop, reverse-seared to perfection, is a lovely thing to eat.
Pork Tenderloin is the absolute most underrated BBQ meat there is, in my personal opinion. It's just so fantastic, and for what....1/4 the price of beef tenderloin? It's amazing. And don't even get me started on how incredible good pulled pork is!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 02:17 PM   #1708
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Pork Tenderloin is the absolute most underrated BBQ meat there is, in my personal opinion. It's just so fantastic, and for what....1/4 the price of beef tenderloin? It's amazing. And don't even get me started on how incredible good pulled pork is!
Yes! It's one of my go to easy 'nice' meals;

Pork tenderloin(s) topped with olive oil and garlic plus
Bernaise sauce
California mix veggies
Rice.

Delicious, cheap and easy to make!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #1709
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have recently stumbled across some youtube vids were people were making "bacon bombs" on their Q/smoker.

You basically take a slab of pork, stuff it with whatever you like, and then wrap it in a basket weave of bacon and then low and slow for 2hrs. They look delicious.

Has anyone tried such a thing?
Old 06-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #1710
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i have recently stumbled across some youtube vids were people were making "bacon bombs" on their Q/smoker.

You basically take a slab of pork, stuff it with whatever you like, and then wrap it in a basket weave of bacon and then low and slow for 2hrs. They look delicious.

Has anyone tried such a thing?
I've kinda been doing this for years, I learned it as a "bacon explosion". Seasoned sausage meat wrapped in bacon weave and then throw it on the smoker. I always try to fill the smoker up as much as I can if it is fired up anyway. Throw a bit of rub on it and baste it in some homemade sauce. Put it on for the last few hours of the smoke.

I'd have barbecues of 20-ish people for brisket or whatever and the bacon explosion would vanish in minutes.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #1711
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Decided to dive into Kamodo-ville.

Superstore has a presidents choice 18 inch kamodo grill for 699. Some sleuthing tells me that it's pretty much the vision grills kamodo. Without some of the accessories.

On to of that Superstore has a promo on, 25000 points for every 100$ spent on a handful of categories. So I got 175$ in points for buying that sucker.

Can't wait to fire it up!
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 06:58 PM   #1712
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My brother roasted a whole pig on the weekend. Apparently, it was terrific. They cut off the front legs and when I asked why he said that’s the way it’s done but he couldn’t say why. Anyone hear of this or know why?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:29 PM   #1713
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
My brother roasted a whole pig on the weekend. Apparently, it was terrific. They cut off the front legs and when I asked why he said that’s the way it’s done but he couldn’t say why. Anyone hear of this or know why?

heh.... makes me think of this story....

Quote:
One day after school a young girl noticed that her mom was cutting off the ends of a pot roast before putting it in the oven to cook for dinner. She had seen her mom do this many times before but had never asked her why. So this time she asked and her mom replied, "I don't know why I cut the ends off, but it’s what my mom always did. Why don't you ask your Grandma?"

So the young girl called her grandmother on the phone and said, "Grandma why do you cut the ends off the pot roast before cooking it?" Her grandmother replied, "I don't know. That's just the way my mom always cooked it. Why don't you ask her?"

Undeterred, the girl called her great grandmother, who was living in a nursing home and asked her the same question. "Why did you cut the ends off the pot roast before cooking it?" Her great grandmother said, "When I was first married we had a very small oven, and the pot roast didn't fit in the oven unless I cut the ends off."
Old 06-23-2021, 09:00 PM   #1714
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking for a new grill and would appreciate any recommendation and tips from the CP brain trust.

I know that I want a natural gas grill and would really prefer something with a rotisserie/rear sear setup. I may want a side sear burner but I'm pretty sure I don't need/want a normal side burner, ice bucket, etc unless you can convince me otherwise.

Is made in China a deal-breaker? Where does the less-than-good Weber stop and the good Weber begin? Same for other brands. Any brands to write-off?

Willing to spend a decent amount for a quality bbq that will last.

What say you, CP?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #1715
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Made in China is a good cutoff for all brands. Eliminates most of them entirely and ensures you're getting a good one from the makes that still do it properly.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 09:17 PM   #1716
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't know much about Webers. But Broil Kings are underrated. Even the offshoots like Broil-mate. Without the premium price.

They're made out of aluminum and resist rust really well. My Broil Mate blew off my deck a couple years ago, so I stopped giving a #### about it while I shopped for a new one for a couple years. It hasn't been covered in 3 years and hardly has any rust on on it. Aside from the type of parts that need periodic replacing. It burns hot as ever and cooks nicely. Cast iron grates are garbage though.

TL;dr If you're not too concerned about price, just get a Weber in your price range. Otherwise consider a Broil King.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 09:58 PM   #1717
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Looking for a new grill and would appreciate any recommendation and tips from the CP brain trust.

I know that I want a natural gas grill and would really prefer something with a rotisserie/rear sear setup. I may want a side sear burner but I'm pretty sure I don't need/want a normal side burner, ice bucket, etc unless you can convince me otherwise.

Is made in China a deal-breaker? Where does the less-than-good Weber stop and the good Weber begin? Same for other brands. Any brands to write-off?

Willing to spend a decent amount for a quality bbq that will last.

What say you, CP?
I bought a Napoleon two years ago and it has a side infrared sear plate. I have zero complaints about it. The led lights stopped working on the dials and I reached out to Napoleon and they not only replaced them but threw in a BBQ package that had an apron, scraper, tongs, flipper and some cooking spray for the trouble. Nothing bad to say about it. I actually bought it from best buy as they has them on sale for 30% off. I had no clue best buy sold BBQ's but I saw it pop up on red flag deals.

Edit: it is a rogue 525 I believe.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #1718
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Thinking about getting a pellet grill in the $1000 or so bracket to complete my outdoor cooking setup. Right now I have a kettle and WSM.

I do love my WSM but I'm looking for something easier to use on those days when I have other things going on and don't want to worry too much about minding the smoker. Any suggestions?
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #1719
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcfyr View Post
Thinking about getting a pellet grill in the $1000 or so bracket to complete my outdoor cooking setup. Right now I have a kettle and WSM.

I do love my WSM but I'm looking for something easier to use on those days when I have other things going on and don't want to worry too much about minding the smoker. Any suggestions?
Save up a bit more money if you can and the Green Mountain Grill. I have a Cabela's right now. It works. Similar quality to a Traegar but can cook a lot hotter. If i had my choice right now it would be the Jim Bowie GMG in black. The Daniel Boone is smaller and about $200 cheaper. Everyone I know that owns, loves it. I have mixed feelings for Traegar. I think they are good but also very overpriced because of their market share. Once you are promoted by Costco it doesn't take long for a good product to start taking market share. Link is here:

https://www.backcountrygrills.com/gr...ls-alberta.php
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #1720
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can vouch for the GMG.

I've had mine for 4 years now and love it!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber