Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2021, 10:47 PM   #1
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:
Default 2021 MLS Season

Toronto FC with 10 starters out takes out the Mexican champs, Leon, in the CONCACAF champions league.

To do so, they had to go FULL CONCACAF:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1382844986236997633

Last edited by Bill Bumface; 04-16-2021 at 10:49 PM.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is pretty funny honestly. Full CONCACAF indeed.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:11 AM   #3
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Toronto FC should be kicked out of the competition for that move. The player should be identified and barred from playing again.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Montreal beat Toronto 4-2 yesterday. Montreal looked fresh and tactically astute. I've heard rumblings that Wilfred Nancy (Thierry Henry's replacement at Montreal) could end up being a fantastic hire.

TFC started the same team as played midweek against Leon. I think that was a mistake. Michael Bradley got posterized by Wanyama on a goal off a corner.

There were a couple goal of the year contenders yesterday across the league, it was crazy.

Vancouver plays Portland tonight. The Whitecaps did not bring in the #10 that they desperately need and have been promising they'd bring in for a year now. Hard to have any faith in management in you're a whitecaps supporter.

Finally - tons of Canadians playing around the league lately. Great news for the future of the CMNT.
Johnny199r is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
I think Toronto FC should be kicked out of the competition for that move. The player should be identified and barred from playing again.
Green text? Did the game even stop for the other ball on the field 70 yards away?

And compare this to playing in Mexico in big games, players dodging bags of piss thrown from the crowd, or the sinks or toilets mysteriously not working in the visitors dressing room at half time in 33c weather.

Gamesmanship.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It would be the equivalent of a hockey player throwing a puck or a stick onto the ice during play late in the third period of a game seven when his team is down. There needs to be a strong punishment to stop anyone from considering such a bush league move again.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #7
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Montreal beat Toronto 4-2 yesterday. Montreal looked fresh and tactically astute. I've heard rumblings that Wilfred Nancy (Thierry Henry's replacement at Montreal) could end up being a fantastic hire.

TFC started the same team as played midweek against Leon. I think that was a mistake. Michael Bradley got posterized by Wanyama on a goal off a corner.

There were a couple goal of the year contenders yesterday across the league, it was crazy.

Vancouver plays Portland tonight. The Whitecaps did not bring in the #10 that they desperately need and have been promising they'd bring in for a year now. Hard to have any faith in management in you're a whitecaps supporter.

Finally - tons of Canadians playing around the league lately. Great news for the future of the CMNT.
Saputo needed someone on fairly short notice. The chap is probably an excellent coach and tactician and rose up within the club, and likely has earned this, but Saputo treats this team as his toy, and any sign of controversy or bad results and it turns quickly. Getting pushed to the edge by the Cavs in the CC 2 years ago got Remi Garde punted the next day after they beat the Cavs. How dare a 2nd or 3rd tier team push the Impact.as much as they did. Must be the coach.

And then burning the dough to get Thierry Henry was not because he was the best coach, it was an ego stroke and to show everyone what Saputo can do.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Saputo needed someone on fairly short notice. The chap is probably an excellent coach and tactician and rose up within the club, and likely has earned this, but Saputo treats this team as his toy, and any sign of controversy or bad results and it turns quickly. Getting pushed to the edge by the Cavs in the CC 2 years ago got Remi Garde punted the next day after they beat the Cavs. How dare a 2nd or 3rd tier team push the Impact.as much as they did. Must be the coach.

And then burning the dough to get Thierry Henry was not because he was the best coach, it was an ego stroke and to show everyone what Saputo can do.
I agree. It was a stroke of good fortune for the club that Henry quit so late, so they had to make an internal hire. The internal hire has been with the club for over a decade and by all accounts has the making of a great manager. Hopefully he gets a long leash, but we all know Joey isn't that smart.
Johnny199r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #9
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
It would be the equivalent of a hockey player throwing a puck or a stick onto the ice during play late in the third period of a game seven when his team is down. There needs to be a strong punishment to stop anyone from considering such a bush league move again.
Or a sweater perhaps, causing Jarome Iginla to trip before the game 7 tying goal is scored?

It was awesome. Canada/MLS has taken the high road in these competitions for too long to their detriment.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agreed. After all the CONCACAF shenanigans I've seen with CPL/MLS teams it's pretty funny seeing the shoe on the other foot for once.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #11
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Portland scored in the final minute vs NYC to get to extra time in MLS Cup.

MLS Cup going to penalties for the 5th time …

NYC wins

Last edited by troutman; 12-11-2021 at 04:18 PM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #12
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Insigne set to join TFC for €14M a year?
https://twitter.com/user/status/1475872245151055874
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2021, 01:40 PM   #13
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That works out to $334,000 CDN per week, every week for 260 weeks. Nuts. He’ll be on more money than any NHL player.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:08 AM   #14
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

so is Insigne worth that value for TFC? At 30 years old does he still bring the skills needed to play at a high level?
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote