Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #501
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
If that's the case then I think you fire him and let his successor figure out what's what.
For sure, with the Flames captain nearing the end of his career

Gaudreau nearing the end of his contract

Flames can not be writing off seasons...

However, Flames GM made a mistake in the offseason when the forwards were not addressed (i.e. they need another top 6 right winger)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #502
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
This is the ‘5 dots on the side of a die’ defensive structure. Ottawa stays outside and high. This pulls forward the Flames D. Bennett now has to choose between the opposition C and maintaining the Flames structure

That genius DJ Smith outsmarted Wardo

Brilliant
Every player in the NHL is taught and comprehends how paramount defensive side positioning is in whatever structure is being employed.

Bennett lost D side positioning. Period!

Stop defending Sam and blaming Ward by attempting to baffle us with your unadulterated bull####.

Last edited by timbit; 03-02-2021 at 10:54 AM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #503
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why people are kidding themselves if they think Bennett has much trade value. GMs aren’t lining up to get their hands on a third-liner who is poor defensively. There’s a reason the guy has never got a sniff of the penalty kill in six seasons in the league.

Bennett is Garnet Hathaway without the defensive acumen.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #504
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post

However, Flames GM made a mistake in the offseason when the forwards were not addressed (i.e. they need another top 6 right winger)
If I were Brad in the summer I would've been moving the necessary pieces to bring in a guy like Toffoli.

Moving Ryan with a sweetener for incentive would've been enough.

Simon and Leivo was a duct tape patch job of the skill issue on the right side.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #505
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Every player in the NHL is taught and comprehends how paramount defensive side positioning is in whatever structure is being employed.

Stop defending Sam and blaming Ward by attempting to baffle us with your unadulterated bull####.

Yeah, so that was clearly joking

Cool your jets, pal, I think the team is getting to you
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #506
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Was half hopeful for action this morning. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-02-2021 at 11:32 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #507
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Uncle View Post
I agree that clip doesn't look great on Bennett and his coverage is soft at best. However, I wouldn't let Nesterov off the hook. He has nobody covered for that whole clip. At the start of the clip you see Valimaki trying to direct Nesterov but Nesterov doesn't get on the same page. At the end you see Bennett attempt to switch off with Nesterov to cover the third guy high and Nesterov again doesn't pick it up or Bennett provides zero communication... or both. In that instant both Nesterov and Bennett are covering no one. It's an oversimplification to say that is only a Bennett issue but it definitely is a great example of how our d-zone still sucks.
Nesterov is a 6-7 bubble defenceman. Bennett is a high draft pick who wants to play C and in a prominent role.

People sure forget about defence when it comes to lines and positions. All the coaches who put Bennett on wing knew he wanted to play C and maybe played it better than wing offensively. But offensively players move around anyway. Defensively they have specific jobs.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:35 AM   #508
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This just popped up on twitter.

He certainly isnt alone, but its just a constant for years now. Other media staring to pick up the narrative.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366789046773587972
Bennett was lost there, no doubt.

But the indictment from that clip isn't on Bennett, it's on the zone defensive structure and how none of the Flames accomplish anything, other than staying in their little spot, for the entirety of the clip.

It is awful to watch, and unfortunately, we have to watch 30 to 40 minutes of it per game, because - because of IT - they can't retrieve the puck and exit their zone.

While we're on the topic... what is even worse than this D is the fact that, on the rare occasion that they actually DO get possession of the puck, all 5 guys are standing still, so it is almost impossible to make a useful pass. They either force a pass that usually results in a turnover, or they just chip it out and let the whole process start again.

It is the worst hockey I can remember watching in a long time.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #509
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

Hey buddy, I changed my avatar as the old one seemed to really confuse you too

You’re welcome
Old 03-02-2021, 12:13 PM   #510
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
That’s his problem... The Flames do not have the personnel to play Wards’s system, and the system doesn’t suit today’s NHL.
In my opinion, this is it. The system doesn’t work for the team we have. Even pre pandemic, a shakeup of the core proved challenging and building a team to play this style of system by a slow annual process doesn’t really work.

My bigger concern is the heavy similarities in coaching system and styles between the coaches we’ve chosen since Hartley. Peter’s spent his first summer reviewing the previous system and film and created and (I think) adjusted his system. The results were stellar for a large part of the season but late season and playoff adjustments proved to be difficult to implement and in year 2 it seems the system reverted back to something much more similar to Gulutzan’s. Ward continued along that path. Has this core had 3 different coaches or 3 coaches who were very much the same?

Peter’s seemed to be better at getting more from the team than Gulutzan or Ward but maybe that also came with a short shelf life and obviously there were some deep value issues that resulted in his departure.

To me, this represented an opportunity for Treliving to find a coach who had a system that suited the group and one who had strong ways of motivating and ensuring team cohesiveness. Was Ward the answer? The final portion of last season and the Dallas series suggested no to me. I was very disappointed that Treliving decided to re-sign Ward and more so that it was for 2 years. Players get 1 year show me deals, why not the coach?

I have generally liked Treliving’s trades and contracts. Perfect, no, but that’s normal. I am concerned that he has become lost in the trees. He seems to have some core beliefs around coaching and systems that will deliver the requisite results. Is this why we keep repeating the same pattern with this group?

Do I think the core needs a shake up, a major redefined mentality? Yes! A thousand times, yes. I’m probably one of the few that thought that when Hartley was dismissed and Gaudreau and Monohan re-signed. Thing is making a significant move is very difficult and this team probably needs more than one. Getting the right players back is a challenge. Sutter had to blow up the core once and the returns and results were not great. Marc Savard seemed like a pretty good player after he left. Ruslan Zainulin, not so much.

Can the right trade be found and made during the season? Maybe. Could we find a coach with a system that works better for this group? A coach who can make adjustments more quickly? A coach who is a better motivator? A coach who can create or recreate some cohesiveness when locker room tension flares up? A coach that can have the team ready to start? I’d take just some of those at this point.

Still, not a peep from our GM. Are his hands tied or can he not see the forest anymore? One thing that has also concerned me is that “the process” is sometimes too slow and methodical. In my opinion, some decisions take too long and the time/timing has an adverse effect.

Why is it taking so long to figure out that the ship is sinking? Surely, we could at least give everyone a life jacket and prepare the emergency rafts? At a minimum, we have enough staff to shake up the coaches behind the bench and look for some new found energy. Charge up the paddles and clear the patient, she needs a jolt. The rhythm is erratic and fading. Is there any sign of life left?
Willi Plett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #511
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames beat Ottawa 6-3.

11- 3 points , +4

13- 2 points, +2

19- 2 points , +2

23- 1 point, +1

28- 1 point, +1

Totals 9 points. +10

Ottawa beat Flames 5-1

SAME PLAYERS

Totals 1 point. -9
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #512
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames beat Ottawa 6-3.

11- 3 points , +4

13- 2 points, +2

19- 2 points , +2

23- 1 point, +1

28- 1 point, +1

Totals 9 points. +10

Ottawa beat Flames 5-1

SAME PLAYERS

Totals 1 point. -9
yes indeed when a team scores six goals instead of one, players will acquire more points
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 01:26 PM   #513
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
yes indeed when a team scores six goals instead of one, players will acquire more points

That seems plausible but you really need to show your work. Drive by posts like this aren't constructive.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #514
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
That seems plausible but you really need to show your work. Drive by posts like this aren't constructive.
Some of this advanced stats stuff is just way too complex for me.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #515
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

nm
Old 03-02-2021, 01:43 PM   #516
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This is why people are kidding themselves if they think Bennett has much trade value. GMs aren’t lining up to get their hands on a third-liner who is poor defensively. There’s a reason the guy has never got a sniff of the penalty kill in six seasons in the league.

Bennett is Garnet Hathaway without the defensive acumen.
Don't insult Garnet like that!
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #517
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just to insert some fun here Keystone Cops style:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366540427390812162
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #518
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Just to insert some fun here Keystone Cops style:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366540427390812162
LOL That's some level of focus. Wonder how their practices look like.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #519
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post

I don't think adding the winger would have made any difference under the current coaching team. It remains to be seen how this group would have responded to a new coach. Brad addressed what he could. however tying himself to this coaching hire is perplexing. If he had a proper coach in place and was dealing with the players, I think his job would have been a lot more secure.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:15 PM   #520
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Watching this video, I think they played PS5 whole night and now they are just sleep walking. What else they do in hotel room.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote