Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2022, 04:09 PM   #121
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It's more a situation of the poor being exploited by the wealthy, but yeah, your comment is actually pretty demonstrative of the problem.

I would love to see solidarity among all poor people.
SHHHHHHHH don't tell them!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:10 PM   #122
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Anyone with a working class accent will be actively discriminated against. The same thing happens to anyone with a foreign, non-Western European accent.

I agree.. But I'd also consider recent immigrants to be a minority. Are we saying that those immigrants are worse off than black people discrimination wise?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:13 PM   #123
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I can't say for certain regarding accounting, but talk to women and minorities in STEM and it's absolutely been an industry that's hostile to marginalized people. Is your stance seriously that women and minorities haven't been historically denied jobs because of their gender, race, etc.?
My position is the disparities are mostly due to other reasons. But people want to believe they’re about qualified candidates being turned away by bigots and sexists because that makes for a more emotionally stirring narrative.

Also, I work in STEM. And relative to their share of the general population, Asians are overrepresented among my colleagues. How to account for that if hiring is distorted by entrenched bigotry?

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-20-2022 at 04:23 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:22 PM   #124
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
My position is the disparities are mostly due to other reasons. But people want to believe they’re about qualified candidates being turned away by bigots and sexists because that makes for a more emotionally stirring narrative.
And I'm assuming you have stats to back your narrative up? Because most of the actual evidence on the topic I've seen points the other way.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #125
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And I'm assuming you have stats to back your narrative up? Because most of the actual evidence on the topic I've seen points the other way.
As a baseline, we would expect the makeup of new hires in a field to align with the makeup of graduates in that field. So if your contention is that it’s widespread for qualified candidates to be turned down owing to race or gender, you’ll want to show evidence that new hires are not aligned with graduates. That should point you in the right direction.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-20-2022 at 04:36 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #126
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/minoritie...ore-interviews

Quote:
Employer callbacks for resumes that were whitened fared much better in the application pile than those that included ethnic information, even though the qualifications listed were identical. Twenty-five percent of black candidates received callbacks from their whitened resumes, while only 10 percent got calls when they left ethnic details intact. Among Asians, 21 percent got calls if they used whitened resumes, whereas only 11.5 percent heard back if they sent resumes with racial references.
https://hbr.org/2017/10/hiring-discr...ed-in-25-years

Quote:
Broadly, our meta-analysis of callback rates from all existing field experiments showed evidence of discrimination against both black and Latino applicants. Since 1990 white applicants received, on average, 36% more callbacks than black applicants and 24% more callbacks than Latino applicants with identical résumés.
Your turn.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 04:35 PM   #127
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's too bad he couldn't have stayed comatose.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:35 PM   #128
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone with a working class accent will be actively discriminated against. The same thing happens to anyone with a foreign, non-Western European accent.
Do working class accents exist in Canada?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #129
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
100%. My girlfriend always comments how she can tell who I'm talking to on the phone because I tone-switch with the dudes I grew up with (more blue-collar) background vs. my more recent friends from university/work. It's totally subconscious, too, but there's definitely an accent and I pick up on it when I'm back home, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #130
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should add, anecdotally, that when I used to work for a fairly large company back in the mid-2000s, during the height of Islamophobia, I had several of my superiors comment that they wouldn't hire a Muslim.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:49 PM   #131
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
I should add, anecdotally, that when I used to work for a fairly large company back in the mid-2000s, during the height of Islamophobia, I had several of my superiors comment that they wouldn't hire a Muslim.
That was a long time ago and certainly against policy now, especially large companies with evolving HR departments.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #132
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That was a long time ago and certainly against policy now, especially large companies with evolving HR departments.
It's like 12-15 years ago. Not a lifetime ago. But it gets to the previous point. If this was common 12-15 years ago, then it would stand to reason that Muslims were under-hired and as such underrepresented in various industries. So how do you fix that to even it out?

As I said, my example is anecdotal, so I'm not willing to say they were under-hired without any statistics to back it up, but I'd be surprised if they weren't based on the accepted rhetoric at the time.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:00 PM   #133
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Are you serious? The answer is yes. Go onto a construction worksite or into small towns. There's also an accent that many indigenous people have, that is also associated with being lesser.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:06 PM   #134
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I agree.. But I'd also consider recent immigrants to be a minority. Are we saying that those immigrants are worse off than black people discrimination wise?
Discrimination is not a contest.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 05:08 PM   #135
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
It's like 12-15 years ago. Not a lifetime ago. But it gets to the previous point. If this was common 12-15 years ago, then it would stand to reason that Muslims were under-hired and as such underrepresented in various industries. So how do you fix that to even it out?

As I said, my example is anecdotal, so I'm not willing to say they were under-hired without any statistics to back it up, but I'd be surprised if they weren't based on the accepted rhetoric at the time.

I don't know that we need to even it out just don't exclude. I interview and hire people, just literally don't see color and don't exclude. And you can't tell who's Muslim. Your supervisors were probably excluding brown people period. I know Indian people who were caught up in 9/11 racism.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:09 PM   #136
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yes but not as obviously as in the UK init
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:23 PM   #137
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Are you serious? The answer is yes. Go onto a construction worksite or into small towns. There's also an accent that many indigenous people have, that is also associated with being lesser.
Serious. I haven't noticed a difference in accent between cashiers and doctors.

Rural accents, indigenous accents, accents that might suffer prejudice, and different vocabulary, I've heard of all those. But I can't say a class-based accent is anything I've ever identified.

Last edited by SebC; 01-20-2022 at 05:25 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:45 PM   #138
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Serious. I haven't noticed a difference in accent between cashiers and doctors.

Rural accents, indigenous accents, accents that might suffer prejudice, and different vocabulary, I've heard of all those. But I can't say a class-based accent is anything I've ever identified.
There's definitely cross-over between rural and working class accents in Canada. Watch the movie "Fubar" for a parody of it.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:23 PM   #139
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure. But the whole point of cliffs comment was that there is this swath of people who are all woked up so these working class white people were getting screwed so these people could score woke points.

They are getting screwed but it has nothing to do with people being woke or not.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:08 PM   #140
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You betchya!