Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-27-2022, 07:03 PM   #201
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Wait.

Who are these people who actually take the words that come out of Joe Rogans (or Peterson’s for that matter) mouth as gospel? Like, I have literally never met anyone who says speaks that way about Rogan.

I have heard people take some of their positions as correct, or some of the stuff they heard guests say as fact. And that’s probably a byproduct of the amount of absolutely intelligent and highly trained guests Rogan has hosted. Like, when Rhonda Patrick is adamantly supporting and promoting the Covid vaccine, are the people listening to that wrong because she’s saying it to Rogan?

More recently, when John Abramson repeatedly contradicts Rogan and points out confounding variables, are there really a bunch of Roganites out there ending that podcast more entrenched in the ideas that the show was actually correcting?

Oh there absolutely are. When he had McCullough and Malone on, that stuff was all over my social media as "MIND BLOWING". I've never seen one person play a clip from Rhonda Patrick, or Gupta. The McCullough or Malone podcast (I can't remember which) was his most downloaded podcast ever, something like 40 million downloads, at last count.

Literally everything that came out of McCullough's mouth was a lie, and I have friends telling me about how he's an expert. I had a friend tell me yesterday that there's a leaked email that proves this whole thing is a hoax, and planned out. That fake email came out in 2020, but people still believe this stuff.

My wife has patients that ask for the treatments mentioned on Rogans podcast. Now that isn't entirely Rogan, these "treatments" are making the rounds on the internet, but there's a lot of people out there that are following him. Then you have Aaron Rodgers, who comes out and says he asked Rogan for treatment advice, and Dana White of the UFC (who's actually vaccinated) said the same thing on social media. It's truly bizarre.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:21 PM   #202
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Millions and millions of people listen to Joe Rogan's podcast. Of course there are going to be a subset of many thousands of those who take his word as gospel. That's not even remotely surprising.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 12:17 AM   #203
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It's pretty sad that some Albertans are so desperate to hang onto this one dumb thing an actor (not a scientist) said 7 years ago as their one rebuttal to climate science.
If you think anecdotal evidence about hockey rinks being frozen all winter long from 20 years ago but now they aren't is evidence of "climate change" then you are are just as bad as climate deniers.

The weather isn't climate change. The planet is warming. The result is extreme weather events.

The real problem humanity will face as a result of climate change will be climate refugees. That is something no country is really preparing for.

One more edit. I thought this was a good documentary

Hey I’m watching Arctic Drift. Check it out now on Prime Video!

Last edited by corporatejay; 01-28-2022 at 12:21 AM.
corporatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:42 AM   #204
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Climate change is obviously 1,000,000% real and 1,000,000% a huuuuuuge problem. Like a massive massive problem.

But it’s actions that matter, and I’m not seeing the behaviour change in people to suggest this is the problem we have been warned about.

I’m willing to bet rubecube still has a personal energy demand that is incongruent with what’s needed. So until people start mass changing behaviour, it is all just limp dick meaningless propaganda BS. Actions are what matter. So stop using your phone. Stop using plastic. Stop pretty much almost any mode of transportation. Make sure you only buy food from those who don’t use fertilizer. Turn off your gas. Ensure your electricity is only green.

And when you finally realize what everyone has been telling you for ####ing years, that you just can’t seem to grasp, that it’s a nonsense way to live your life, perhaps you will hopefully I pray realize that it’s not the evil oil companies or “those people” it’s you, me, everyone, OBVIOUSLY, that have created this energy demand.

The only way to change this- is the demand side of the ledger. If you think otherwise, you are wrong. And the world is telling you. Oil prices are a market (humankind) indicator. Consumption/ demand has never been higher. Figure it out. You can whine and call everyone but yourself evil, but the reality is you are a contributor. Just like everyone. This isn’t hard. Google what requires energy and when you ####ing realize it’s everything return to have an adult conversation. God damnit. Why is this a thing still and why are people so stupid.

As per the beginning of this post. ACTIONS MATTER. So it’s this big problem right? So what the #### are you doing about it?

Nothing? Still all the #### that’s insanely energy intensive? Then shut up.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 12:49 AM   #205
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
It's pretty sad that some Albertans are so desperate to hang onto this one dumb thing an actor (not a scientist) said 7 years ago as their one rebuttal to climate science.
Please lay out the steps you are taking in detail to combat climate change. Be honest.

And then I’ll be honest and tell you it isn’t enough. But I’m sure you’ll feel good telling others how to think and live. Unfortunately it’ll be just one more time someone is wrong and a hypocrite. So no it’s not just sad, and not just one rebuttal, but a complete rejection to society blaming others when engaging in the climate change inducing and immensely energy intensive behaviour. It’s disgusting. The fact you can’t self evaluate this is the ultimate cognitive dissonance.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 01-28-2022 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:51 AM   #206
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I’m willing to bet rubecube still has a personal energy demand that is incongruent with what’s needed.
Disregarding that the whole individual responsibility premise has been dismissed by most climate scientists, I'm probably not the best example for your argument

I live in a 350 square foot apartment, work from home, don't own a vehicle, buy food locally, buy what I can second-hand, and have a vasectomy with zero kids. I'm hardly perfect, but I'm probably not someone you should really be singling out for energy gluttony.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 12:53 AM   #207
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Please lay out the steps you are taking in detail to combat climate change. Be honest.

And then I’ll be honest and tell you it isn’t enough. But I’m sure you’ll feel good telling others how to think and live. Unfortunately it’ll be just one more time someone is wrong and a hypocrite. So no it’s not just sad, and not just one rebuttal, but a complete rejection to society blaming others when engaging in the climate change inducing and immensely energy intensive behaviour. It’s disgusting. The fact you can’t self evaluate this is the ultimate cognitive dissonance.
Also how does me pointing out that latching onto what an actor said is silly make me a hypocrite? I literally said nothing else in that post about climate change.

Are you okay, dude?
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 12:59 AM   #208
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
He apparently did have a meeting or two with oil execs before his current tour. Could be nothing, but sure seems like he's just regurgitating oil lobby talking points.
Omg, barf.

No it’s probably because anyone with half a brain who isn’t an insanely ideological extremist biased clown and who understands energy systems realizes that what many people on the Island and in Vancouver advocate for would be literal societal ruin and magnitude worse outcomes than climate change. Unless of course you hate people which is possible but also not a reasonable position worth taking seriously.

How did the island get so ass backwards in its energy literacy? Read a book and figure some stuff out before telling the entire planet how to change their entire life.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:00 AM   #209
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Disregarding that the whole individual responsibility premise has been dismissed by most climate scientists, I'm probably not the best example for your argument

I live in a 350 square foot apartment, work from home, don't own a vehicle, buy food locally, buy what I can second-hand, and have a vasectomy with zero kids. I'm hardly perfect, but I'm probably not someone you should really be singling out for energy gluttony.
That’s amazing! Congrats! That is really good. Unfortunately still not good enough. Also, is this what you advocate for everyone on Earth?
Old 01-28-2022, 01:03 AM   #210
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Also how does me pointing out that latching onto what an actor said is silly make me a hypocrite? I literally said nothing else in that post about climate change.

Are you okay, dude?
I’m doing great thanks, you?

Why do you think your overall position about an idiot actor making idiotic comments turn into the reply I made? You seem smart enough to put it together but the question is do you have the balls to self evaluate?

Actors are probably not energy or society experts. Just like how you point out Roganor Peterson aren’t. Just admit you’re wrong on this because you are.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:03 AM   #211
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How did the island get so ass backwards in its energy literacy? Read a book and figure some stuff out before telling the entire planet how to change their entire life.
Please point out to me where I'm telling people how to live their lives. Jesus, dude, is tilting at windmills like a personal hobby of yours or do you have like a disorder where you constantly feel like you're being attacked?

Let's try and bring it back down to a 4 at least.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 01:06 AM   #212
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m doing great thanks, you?

Why do you think your overall position about an idiot actor making idiotic comments turn into the reply I made? You seem smart enough to put it together but the question is do you have the balls to self evaluate?

Actors are probably not energy or society experts. Just like how you point out Roganor Peterson aren’t. Just admit you’re wrong on this because you are.
I must be an idiot because I literally have no idea what you're driving at here. I agree that actors aren't experts. That was my point. Are you drunk?

My whole position on this is that I know dick all compared to the experts. I have an entire list of legitimate climate scientists I follow on Twitter for this very reason.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:16 AM   #213
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Please point out to me where I'm telling people how to live their lives. Jesus, dude, is tilting at windmills like a personal hobby of yours or do you have like a disorder where you constantly feel like you're being attacked?

Let's try and bring it back down to a 4 at least.
You can’t come on here and make multiple posts that are wrong, unaligned with society or facts, smarmy sarcastic quips that specifically call out Albertans, who obviously have felt victimized (for right or wrong that’s another debate but as an oil worker I certainly have felt it), and then when you get called out be all “woah chill out dude what’s your problem man”.

Like, no, you are wrong on this topic, and so are the majority of uneducated Canadians, and when the entire province of Alberta gets essentially villainized online and elsewhere, and we point it out, you pretend to play coy not knowing what you are doing? Can yiu honestly sit there and say with a straight face you have no idea what’s going on and for years Albertans just are overly sensitive and overreacting? It’s total ####ing bull####, and if you are half as smart as you think you are you’d take a look in the mirror.

Canadians LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE energy. Way way way way way more than climate change. So again, it’s actions that matter. Don’t pretend you have no clue what’s going on, it’s insulting and embarrassing for you. And yeah, people are rightfully pissed off about it. This country has sucked for Albertans for about 3-4 years and has not had Albertans backs for the most part speaking honestly. And that actually largely includes people on the island and in Vancouver. To pretend these attitudes and behaviours aren’t there is disingenuous lazy cowardice BS. I’m sure you’ll charge your phone tonight with energy though and I can bet not all of that was from a windmill.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:17 AM   #214
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
I must be an idiot because I literally have no idea what you're driving at here. I agree that actors aren't experts. That was my point. Are you drunk?

My whole position on this is that I know dick all compared to the experts. I have an entire list of legitimate climate scientists I follow on Twitter for this very reason.
Mmhmm. Okay.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:01 AM   #215
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

The biggest thing anyone can do about anything is push for systemic change.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:29 AM   #216
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
The biggest thing anyone can do about anything is push for systemic change.
And to bring this back to Peterson, his theory is closer to ‘the biggest thing anyone can do about anything is push themselves for change’. And I agree with that much more.

What does ‘pushing for systemic change’ look like? Chanting with some signs in a group full of people who already are on your side? Writing letters to apathetic MLAs? Facebook posts?

Want a change? Start with yourself. Influence those around you, so they in turn influence those around them.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:41 AM   #217
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can’t come on here and make multiple posts that are wrong, unaligned with society or facts,
Please show me anywhere in that initial post where I made any kind of factual statement.

Quote:
smarmy sarcastic quips that specifically call out Albertans, who obviously have felt victimized (for right or wrong that’s another debate but as an oil worker I certainly have felt it)
Pretty sure I specifically said "some Albertans" so as not to tar the reasonable ones.

Anyways, I can't tell if you have some kind of cognitive/learning disability that affects your reading comprehension, if you're ESL, or just completely unhinged. Either way, I'm moving on.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #218
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s amazing! Congrats! That is really good. Unfortunately still not good enough. Also, is this what you advocate for everyone on Earth?
Can we take your logic the other way, and since nothing we do in any facet of our lives will ever be good enough that we should all just go full Frank Reynolds?

Although from a climate change perspective, Frank shares a very small apartment with a roommate and apparently without much heating...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:11 AM   #219
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Peterson attempts to clarify his climate comments on Rogan's podcast earlier this week in the most convoluted way possible; he's also given up on a simple spell check.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487024689650323460

He sees YOUNG MEN all the time.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:16 AM   #220
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Peterson attempts to clarify his climate comments on Rogan's podcast earlier this week in the most convoluted way possible; he's also given up on a simple spell check.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487024689650323460

He sees YOUNG MEN all the time.
What an absolute clown.