Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2024, 09:07 AM   #1
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What’s “Your” Dish?

Whats a dish you make semi regularily that you nail every time? I have 2 that are fan faves at my house. Nasi Goreng (Indonesian fried rice dish with ham and an egg on top) and rack of lamb. The nasi goreng is fairly easy to prep and make, it just tastes better after it rests for a day before frying everything.

Rack of lamb I hit medium rare every time and they come out like lamb popsicles. This dish I haven’t made as often recently as the price of lamb is obnoxious. You used to get a decent hunk of meat for $25 that could feed 3 people but now a cheap cut is the same price but it can barely feed one person.

So what are yours?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 09:16 AM   #2
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve got a bunch, to be honest, but the main one is pizza. It’s gotten to the point where we can’t order pizza because it’s a letdown compared to mine. Which isn’t the brag it might seem to be, because you just want to chill and take it easy by ordering in…well that option has all but disappeared! (I don’t use any of the Door Dash, Uber Wats or Skip because it’s a complete ripoff).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 09:25 AM   #3
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Portuguese Chicken. Not sure why it’s called that because it’s not like nandos.

Chicken breast roughly chopped in fours, marinated in olive oil and some vinegar with a whole lot of capers and whole green olives and a bunch of prunes for a day.

Take it out, and most of a bottle of white wine some brown sugar and bake for an hour or so. Served with couscous.

Wife made it in our first date. I don’t like olives or capers and really hate dates, but holy crap it is unreal. The salt the sour the sweet with the benign couscous and the winery sauce. I hate stews and crockpot thing but this is the only exception.

That and Kasespaetzle.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 09:28 AM   #4
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beef Wellington. I've come pretty close to perfecting it, and it's a Christmas Day tradition that is requested of me every year now. Paired with either a red wine reduction, beurre rouge, or sauce au poivre.

The other one, and it's really random compared to the last one, is a Tom Kha Gai, also known as a Thai Coconut Chicken soup. Easy to make and ####ing delicious.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 09:38 AM   #5
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

More like Beef UnWellington. - chef reactions

I can watch these videos for far too long.

https://www.tiktok.com/@chefreaction...298246?lang=en

Last edited by fotze2; 04-20-2024 at 09:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 09:39 AM   #6
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Portuguese Chicken. Not sure why it’s called that because it’s not like nandos.

Chicken breast roughly chopped in fours, marinated in olive oil and some vinegar with a whole lot of capers and whole green olives and a bunch of prunes for a day.

Take it out, and most of a bottle of white wine some brown sugar and bake for an hour or so. Served with couscous.

Wife made it in our first date. I don’t like olives or capers and really hate dates, but holy crap it is unreal. The salt the sour the sweet with the benign couscous and the winery sauce. I hate stews and crockpot thing but this is the only exception.

That and Kasespaetzle.
I’m gonna try that for sure, I really like couscous but I’m not a big fan of dates or olives either so it would be an experiment. Sounds odd enough that I might really like it.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 09:50 AM   #7
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eggs Benedict on Sunday mornings.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 09:52 AM   #8
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I’m gonna try that for sure, I really like couscous but I’m not a big fan of dates or olives either so it would be an experiment. Sounds odd enough that I might really like it.
Some garlic and dried basil in marinade to start also. Wife’s super wealthy grandma would go on all crazy cooking courses around the world and this was what she thought was the best.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:00 AM   #9
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

LOL, well the first problem is that the cook in the video was making it out of meatloaf. Nothing other than a filet of beef will do for a Wellington.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:20 AM   #10
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have lots but one of my "tried and true" staples is Indonesian peanut chicken. It's also one of the few meals I prepare that doesn't have me looking like a mad chef and my wife trying to stay away from the kitchen so she doesn't get in the way. Basically throw some chicken in the slow cooker with some sliced carrots and a sauce made with peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic and ginger right before I leave for work and put some rice in the rice cooker with a timer. Get home from work, throw in some frozen peas and cook a few minutes more, then top with peanuts and green onions when serving.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:35 AM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I hate you because I am now watching these.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:55 AM   #12
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I make damn good scramble eggs
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 10:56 AM   #13
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i've got tons... but it kind of depends on who is making the dinner request

my son, he wants swedish meatballs, sticky hoisin pork tacos, homemade burgers with homemade buns, 'dinosaur teeth' (breaded chicken breasts that are then fried... it's all on how you 'sell' food to kids! ha!)

my daughter, she wants fish tacos, home made seafood fett sauce over homemade noodles, homemade spaghetti, roast chicken & mashed potatoes, dinosaur teeth (see above)

my wife wants a dinner called 'chicken sizzler' - which i learned back in my restaurant days (chicken, julienned veggies, wine, white sauce over seasoned rice), hot italian sausage/homemade marinara sauce over pasta, chicken wings (thanks to cp for the great way to bake wings in the oven!!)

family requests are homemade pizza (homemade sauce and crusts), smoked ribs, smoked stuffed burgers, homemade chinese food

i absolutely love to cook - which i think is great. the biggest downside are nights like last night... go out for dinner and leave excessively disappointed knowing you could have made something waaaaay better for a fraction of the cost.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:06 AM   #14
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I hate you because I am now watching these.
Gotta have the jarlic.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 11:10 AM   #15
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Breakfast. Love making a big breakfast on the weekends. Easy, and delicious. Eggs, bacon, fruit, ideally a second breakfast meat (ham, bologna, sausage), toast.

Spaghetti and Meatballs. Always make the meatballs the day before, put them in the fridge overnight, then slow cook them and the sauce. So good. Melt in your mouth.

Like Slava I make a mean pizza. Started making my own dough from scratch and my pizza game got even better.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:11 AM   #16
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Marinated flank steak with mustard roast potatoes and parmesan roasted broccoli.

Super annoyed that good flank steak is now hard to find and expensive. You used to be able to get great flank steak at Cost-co or virtually any supermarket and it was one of the cheaper cuts of meat.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:41 AM   #17
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin in a demi glace with peaches, served over egg noodles

It's a super easy dish that punches way above it's weight for flavour.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:47 AM   #18
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cinnamon Toast Crunch cold stewed in a milk broth.

Only 2 minutes prep time and it tastes fantastic, although you do need to eat it in moderation as the cinnamon tends to burn your throat if you have too much.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 11:52 AM   #19
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spaghetti with meat sauce. The only important variables are maximizing quantity and minimizing effort.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:59 AM   #20
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Paprika chicken and dumplings. Among many others, but its my fav.

How many different meals do you all have in the rotation of what you make? I have about 30 or so. Then some much less frequent ones. And the occasional 'I made it once and it sucked/wasnt tasty/took too long'
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking , skillz