Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-18-2022, 07:16 PM   #4301
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Immigration? Nope, millions illegally crossing the border and with Title 42 set to expire, more and more undocumented migrants will enter the country each day.
Ah, I see. I wonder what kind of media you consume on the reg?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 07:32 PM   #4302
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, you're right. But why stop at student loans, forgive pay day loan debt, credit card debt, car loans, business loans, and mortgages too. A real solution would start with capping interest rates on (or interest free) student loans, free communitty college which Biden campaigned on, and the financial disclosure of post secondary institutions. Affordable distance education and child care programs for students with children. Simple, efficient government sponsored job programs for students including more paid co ops and more paid apprenticeship programs and providing higher/ more scholarships and bursaries for course completion and GPA. Fair incentives, fair costs and fair consequences. Not just wiping out debt on to have the cycle begin again immediately.
Ok, let’s do that too.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:35 PM   #4303
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Ah, I see. I wonder what kind of media you consume on the reg?
1,130,000 increase Jan 2021- Jan 2022. I thought I’d read somewhere it was over over two million.

https://cis.org/Report/Estimating-Il...ulation-Survey
Old 05-18-2022, 08:09 PM   #4304
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brexit was largely the UK's idiot working class being whipped up into an anti migrant froth by right wing ####wits and shysty grifters, turns out those migrants work bloody hard doing all the jobs us white folks no longer want to do and the UK agricultural industry and construction sectors have been devastated by the loss of hard working entry level employees.

The US is even more addicted to cheap migrant labour than the UK, almost nothing down there gets picked, built, cleaned or maintained without the vast army of under the table undocumented workers doing the job for next to nothing
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #4305
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I know this. I’ve hired day labourers, hanging out at Home Depot, to help at our place down there. My cousin has a roofing company in Tucson, illegals are his “staff”. The priority needs to be documenting and getting these folks a US identity. This is a huge untapped tax base.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #4306
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
1,130,000 increase Jan 2021- Jan 2022. I thought I’d read somewhere it was over over two million.

That source is actually published by an anti-immigration front. CIS was founded by white nationalists and continues to create propaganda that is not supported by actual data for crying out loud.

Quote:
^ I know this. I’ve hired day labourers, hanging out at Home Depot, to help at our place down there. My cousin has a roofing company in Tucson, illegals are his “staff”. The priority needs to be documenting and getting these folks a US identity. This is a huge untapped tax base.
There's a lot of irony in your posts. Complaining about a problem and using a white nationalist web site as a source to support your claims, but then admitting you and your cousin have broken the law to support your needs and business outcomes? There are programs where employers can and are expected to validate work/visa and citizenship status. Businesses like your cousin's don't, because they would have to pay more and contribute to the tax base.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2022, 11:59 AM   #4307
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You complain about "millions illegally crossing the border, more and more undocumented migrants enter the country each day"... and then you hire them as day labourers? It sounds like your cousin's entire roofing business is predicated on the cheap labour he pays to his "staff". The reason why those people go to the US is to be paid under the table for crappy jobs for people like you and your cousin; you guys are the source of the problem!!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2022, 12:12 PM   #4308
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Wait, is Derek Sutton for real with that post? Hahah, that's awesome.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:29 PM   #4309
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No its not an untapped tax base, as if you tax them they are legal, and once legal you can't treat them like dirt anymore, they have rights and are entitled to services and are covered by labour laws, the whole point of that pool of labour is they have no choice but to pick oranges for 50 bucks a day or less
My guess is your cousin doesnt carry the massively expensive insurance that a Canadian roofing company has to carry, I doubt his business model would survive making his workforce legal (and I'm not taking a shot at your cousin, he is just running his company the way all construction is done in most of the south west)

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 05-19-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:30 PM   #4310
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

You complain about "millions illegally crossing the border, more and more undocumented migrants enter the country each day"... and then you hire them as day labourers? It sounds like your cousin's entire roofing business is predicated on the cheap labour he pays to his "staff". The reason why those people go to the US is to be paid under the table for crappy jobs for people like you and your cousin; you guys are the source of the problem!!
Actually the p!ss poor legislation, the lack of urgency to nationalize illegal immigrants and immigration policy are the problem. I was just a beneficiary of the by- product. We can only assume they were illegals, really the two of them could've been out of work or simply earning a living doing daily labour, don't know, didn't ask, but the one could lay tile like a mf'r.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:34 PM   #4311
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually the p!ss poor legislation, the lack of urgency to nationalize illegal immigrants and immigration policy are the problem. I was just a beneficiary of the by- product. We can only assume they were illegals, really the two of them could've been out of work or simply earning a living doing daily labour, don't know, didn't ask, but the one could lay tile like a mf'r.
No the employers are the whole problem, no work no migrants.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #4312
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
No the employers are the whole problem, no work no migrants.
Even for those with no work, unemployed and homeless in the US is much better then being unemployed and homeless in Mexico or many of the Central American countries. Now providing ID's, SSN numbers to these folks would certainly allow for more then laborer jobs, they could attain jobs that give benefits and career advancement. There would still be those who choose cash jobs and employers seeking these individuals but there are also those who will do and want more.

It's like the influx of Mexican Mennonites we've seen into southern AB. They all arrived as farm laborer's, going back 20 plus years. Some have stayed as farm laborers, while many have moved on to other careers, started their own businesses and gone to college/ university.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 05-19-2022 at 12:50 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:26 PM   #4313
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What has Biden done right? The withdrawal of the troops from Afgahnastan? Nope. Covid? "We're not going to eliminate jobs, we're going to eliminate the virus". Nope. Immigration? Nope, millions illegally crossing the border and with Title 42 set to expire, more and more undocumented migrants will enter the country each day. This government in its current from is a total failure.
Well he certainly has not gone out of his way to make things worse, which is more than can be said for recent republicans, which is something that should be carefully considered. You are basically a comic villain at this point, holding the girlfriend and some small children over a ledge asking who will be saved when you drop both.

Afghanistan, solely lays at the feat of the Bush administration for not negotiating when they had one the war, and then starting a second war which gave the enemy time to regroup, and of the 3 presidents that followed Biden was the only one with the gumption to take the bas press and do what needed to be done, he could have done what Trump/Obama did and let a marginal number of people continue to die in a low level conflict for another 4 years so he didn't have to suffer an ugly looking exit, but instead made the right choice.

Covid, hasn't been something to be controlled really since 3 months in when we realized how truely terribly Trumps administration bungled it. So I'm not always certain what people mean when they say Biden has bungled Covid? The communication hasn't been good, but I'm always sympathetic to somebody who is coming up against an opponent who is using brandolinis law against them and their ability to communicate.

Immigration? sure he hasn't done enough, for him to improve the legal immigration pathways to reduce illegal demand? Is there a preference to executive action, that will just be undone when idiots who actually convince themselves Biden was worse than Trump reelect Trump? Or should this be laid at the feat of congress instead of the President? What other way are you thinking of reducing this demand, maybe massive aide programs to these countries, so their people don't have as much pressure to leave? Maybe the US should just invade and take over those territories so their president can control everything.

These are really hard problems, and it is really easy to critique, but hard to suggest solutions. There is a big difference between complaining that guys have been ineffective about driving improvements and complaining about someone actively making things worse.

What's he do right? From a Canadian Prospective, this would be my favorite thing, I would like to see cooperative policy to economically isolate tax havens that are the underlaying problem of a lot of our issues. [ulr]https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/11/biden-and-g-7-leaders-will-endorse-a-global-minimum-corporate-tax.html[/url]
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2022, 01:31 PM   #4314
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Why won’t Biden stop me from taking advantage of illegals?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2022, 01:34 PM   #4315
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Any numbers of the next immigration change between 2020 and 2021?

I have a funny feeling the numbers plummeted, as though there was some kind of global catastrophe where borders were hardened and people stopped moving, and there was some kind of pent up demand looming that cause a shock to the market for border crossings. It's not like those exact things are happening in other sectors.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:18 AM   #4316
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

The wife of a Supreme Court justice trying to overthrow an election based on conspiracy theories. At what point does Clarence get the boot? Or is this ok?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1527684198370271233
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:24 AM   #4317
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Welcome to the new normal.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:25 AM   #4318
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I hate that Democrats still pretend that there's anything worth saving about the Supreme Court. Acknowledge that it's now a partisan political body and stack the thing.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:30 PM   #4319
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Acknowledge that it's NOW a partisan political body? Like this is news?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #4320
AltaGuy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Acknowledge that it's NOW a partisan political body? Like this is news?
There's a reason that Roberts is so concerned by this Alito decision beyond the overturning of long-established precedent. The decision itself is poor jurisprudence, and a myriad of other precedents will be affected by the hamfisted way it was decided.

The partisan nature of the SC has been dialled up to 11 in the last few years. The GOP is to blame.