Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-12-2021, 08:59 PM   #301
bizaro86
Franchise Player
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I learned that Mars (the company, not the planet, ya idiot) owns VCA which runs a bunch of vet clinics. The same company that makes M&Ms is in charge of pet care. This probably isn't a big deal but it feels like something out of Idiocracy.
If it makes you feel better, they also own a bunch of pet food brands (pedigree, Whiskas, etc). So a big part of their motivation for buying the hospitals was to promote their pet food brands.

Not sure if that's better or worse.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:14 AM   #302
flamingred89
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

That Steven Seagal is banned from SNL for life. And that the episode he hosted has been barred from syndication and re-releases in the hopes that it would never be seen again. Not because of anything controversial that he said or did. But because he was so painfully unfunny and the episode just flat out sucked.
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:08 AM   #303
Table 5
Franchise Player
 
Table 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NYYC
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
That Steven Seagal is banned from SNL for life. And that the episode he hosted has been barred from syndication and re-releases in the hopes that it would never be seen again. Not because of anything controversial that he said or did. But because he was so painfully unfunny and the episode just flat out sucked.
If that's the case, they could ban at least half of all SNL episodes.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #304
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I learned that Mars (the company, not the planet, ya idiot) owns VCA which runs a bunch of vet clinics. The same company that makes M&Ms is in charge of pet care. This probably isn't a big deal but it feels like something out of Idiocracy.

Mars has what cats crave.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #305
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre
 
Sr. Mints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Exp:
Default

VCA really surprises me. I knew about the pet food brands, but not the clinics
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:59 AM   #306
burn_this_city
Franchise Player
 
burn_this_city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

We steer clear of the Mars bar vets, they have a clear profit motive now with a parent company lording over them.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #307
Table 5
Franchise Player
 
Table 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NYYC
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
We steer clear of the Mars bar vets, they have a clear profit motive now with a parent company lording over them.
Unfortunately it's an industry wide trend...more and more veterinary clinics are being bought up by these conglomerates. It's partly why the cost of vet care has gone up.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #308
burn_this_city
Franchise Player
 
burn_this_city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Unfortunately it's an industry wide trend...more and more veterinary clinics are being bought up by these conglomerates. It's partly why the cost of vet care has gone up.
We've found a good indy and she plans on staying that way. I think people should be skeptical of these conglomerate vets, we had one tell us our dog was on death's doorstep 2 years ago and he's fine.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #309
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

The Surprising Reason Zebras Have Stripes

By putting black-and-white coats on horses, a new study shows that the pattern discourages biting flies from landing.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab


Should we wear referee jerseys when we go camping?
__________________
https://www.mergenlaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #310
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester
 
SportsJunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Should we wear referee jerseys when we go camping?
Sounds like a good idea.
__________________
Be better.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:04 PM   #311
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Sounds like a good idea.
Also will help us to break up the fights!
__________________
https://www.mergenlaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #312
Lubicon
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Exp:
Default

I don't think I learned anything because I'm sitting at the dining room table as I write this but I'm beginning to think university exam week(s) is a good time NOT to WFH. It's actually a good time to get the h$ll out of the house entirely, too bad we can't go anywhere. The stress level in our house is through the roof right now and it's contagious.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #313
Geraldsh
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Exp:
Default

Patience, you’re learning patience and diplomacy and compassion. If not get to h$ll out.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #314
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
That Steven Seagal is banned from SNL for life. And that the episode he hosted has been barred from syndication and re-releases in the hopes that it would never be seen again. Not because of anything controversial that he said or did. But because he was so painfully unfunny and the episode just flat out sucked.
For every funny SNL episodes there are at least 5 that aren't.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #315
GordonBlue
Franchise Player
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

I just learned that traditional Kinder eggs are still banned in the USA, and have been since 1938.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #316
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

I just learned that Kinder Eggs have been around since 1938.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:03 PM   #317
bizaro86
Franchise Player
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I just learned that Kinder Eggs have been around since 1938.
Or longer!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #318
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Or longer!

True. I thought they were a more recent invention, like 1970s.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #319
GordonBlue
Franchise Player
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
True. I thought they were a more recent invention, like 1970s.
and you're right.
I went to our friend google and found out the article I read was wrong.

Yes, they are banned, and have been since their invention in 1974.

the law they were banned under in the USA is from 1938.

"But why are Kinder eggs banned? The U.S. law against the chocolate egg actually dates back to 1938. At that time, the country's Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act banned all candies embedded with "non-nutritive objects," such as toys. So, when Kinder eggs began to be manufactured in the '70s by Italian company Ferrero, they fell under this law and were made illegal in the U.S."
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 02:38 PM   #320
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
and you're right.
I went to our friend google and found out the article I read was wrong.

Yes, they are banned, and have been since their invention in 1974.

the law they were banned under in the USA is from 1938.

"But why are Kinder eggs banned? The U.S. law against the chocolate egg actually dates back to 1938. At that time, the country's Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act banned all candies embedded with "non-nutritive objects," such as toys. So, when Kinder eggs began to be manufactured in the '70s by Italian company Ferrero, they fell under this law and were made illegal in the U.S."
Aren't candy eggs "non-nutritive objects" in and of themselves?
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021