Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #2561
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa89 View Post
Anybody know if there is a stolen car group on Facebook or somewhere? There is a very sus M3 parked in front of my house for 3+weeks. Not the neighbours. Hasnít moved in close to a month, never seen this car previously. Thinking of reporting it to parking authorities but wanted to see if I could be an internet sleuth first
As Browna said call:

403-266-1234

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:35 PM   #2562
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Google isn't helping me much here, is there any way to lock the doors of a newer Toyota Highlander while it's running? It's really nice to leave it running if you're only stopping at a place for a few minutes, especially when it's this cold out, but no matter what I try (fob, lock switches, manually turning the locks) the damn thing refuses to stay locked if the engine is running. And if the engine is running there's nothing stopping someone from hopping in and driving off, even if the fob is nowhere near the car (brilliant design)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:52 PM   #2563
chedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Google isn't helping me much here, is there any way to lock the doors of a newer Toyota Highlander while it's running? It's really nice to leave it running if you're only stopping at a place for a few minutes, especially when it's this cold out, but no matter what I try (fob, lock switches, manually turning the locks) the damn thing refuses to stay locked if the engine is running. And if the engine is running there's nothing stopping someone from hopping in and driving off, even if the fob is nowhere near the car (brilliant design)
My acura is just like this. The only way I've found you can do it is by using the actual key from inside the fob in the outside handle door lock (old school). Maybe toyota's the same?

This is where Ford has it best with their keypads. I don't know why nobody else has then.

Last edited by chedder; 12-16-2021 at 09:54 PM.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:29 AM   #2564
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

As CP is all 1%ers if you are looking to finish off a deal on a new car over $100k the new luxury tax comes into effect Jan 1. Get it done now if you can.

20% on every dollar over $100k or 10% of total price.

I just finished off a deal on a Bentayga V8 S for a client of mine today and if it was Jan 1 there would be an additional $35k in tax.

Last edited by TimSJ; 12-17-2021 at 08:51 AM.
TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #2565
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
As CP is all 1%ers if you are looking to finish off a deal on a new car over $100k the new luxury tax comes into effect Jan 1. Get it done now if you can.

20% on every dollar over $100 or 10% of total price.

I just finished off a deal on a Bentayga V8 S for a client of mine today and if it was Jan 1 there would be an additional $35k in tax.
Holy crap.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #2566
Nufy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I shut mine off and then hit it again with the remote start.

Doors locked...vehicle running.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #2567
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I shut mine off and then hit it again with the remote start.

Doors locked...vehicle running.
You are aware not every car has remote start, though, right?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #2568
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
For several reasons, just shut the thing off.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:12 AM   #2569
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

20% on every dollar over $100k or 10% of total price.

Congrats on the sale (did you use the new tax to push it through? ), but the luxury tax has been officially delayed:

"Luxury Tax - Budget 2021 proposed to introduce a tax on the sales, for personal use, of luxury cars and personal aircraft with a retail sales price over $100,000, and boats, for personal use, over $250,000. The tax would be calculated at the lesser of 20 per cent of the value above the threshold ($100,000 for cars and personal aircraft, $250,000 for boats) or 10 per cent of the full value of the luxury car, boat, or personal aircraft. The Department of Finance has undertaken consultations with respect to the design of this
measure and is working to incorporate the results of this consultation into the proposed tax framework. Draft legislation, including details on coming-into-force, will be released in early 2022."

Full update here: https://www.budget.gc.ca/efu-meb/202...ccueil-en.html PDF: https://www.budget.gc.ca/efu-meb/202...EB-2021-EN.pdf

CPers rejoyce!
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:26 AM   #2570
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Congrats on the sale (did you use the new tax to push it through? ), but the luxury tax has been officially delayed:

"Luxury Tax - Budget 2021 proposed to introduce a tax on the sales, for personal use, of luxury cars and personal aircraft with a retail sales price over $100,000, and boats, for personal use, over $250,000. The tax would be calculated at the lesser of 20 per cent of the value above the threshold ($100,000 for cars and personal aircraft, $250,000 for boats) or 10 per cent of the full value of the luxury car, boat, or personal aircraft. The Department of Finance has undertaken consultations with respect to the design of this
measure and is working to incorporate the results of this consultation into the proposed tax framework. Draft legislation, including details on coming-into-force, will be released in early 2022."

Full update here: https://www.budget.gc.ca/efu-meb/202...ccueil-en.html PDF: https://www.budget.gc.ca/efu-meb/202...EB-2021-EN.pdf

CPers rejoyce!
Well that's good news that it has been delayed a bit.

I think when it does come into effect it is only going to push up the prices on the used market even more.

Didn't really have anything to do with the sale. More just that we were able to stumble across something that was available. He really wanted a GLS Maybach but you can't buy one for less than $100k over MSRP which is ridiculous.

I watched a G63 go through the auction yesterday a 21 with 10k on it finished at $327k and the dealer didn't sell it. Madness

Old 12-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #2571
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I still have time to order an M3 in Mexico Blue before Justin gets his grubby hands on my car purchase?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:02 AM   #2572
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So I still have time to order an M3 in Mexico Blue before Justin gets his grubby hands on my car purchase?
My understanding is that orders are not exempt unless they were ordered prior to the budget being tabled in the spring. I'm not 100% on that though

Old 12-17-2021, 10:03 AM   #2573
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they'll rejig the cutoff now that inflation is running away.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #2574
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's good news that it has been delayed a bit.

I think when it does come into effect it is only going to push up the prices on the used market even more.

Didn't really have anything to do with the sale. More just that we were able to stumble across something that was available. He really wanted a GLS Maybach but you can't buy one for less than $100k over MSRP which is ridiculous.

I watched a G63 go through the auction yesterday a 21 with 10k on it finished at $327k and the dealer didn't sell it. Madness
I was just kidding about using the tax to push the sale... The new Bentaygas are so much nicer than the gen 1... The tailights alone make a huge difference.

Yeah, supposedly Q2 for the implementation of the lux tax(as my wife's new car is set to arrive in April ), but there are some pretty glaring issues that could push it out further.

It's hard to see how the market could get any frothier, but this would do it. The funny thing is, the Canadian cars are still a relative bargain compared to the US market, when accounting for currency
Old 12-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #2575
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My understanding is that orders are not exempt unless they were ordered prior to the budget being tabled in the spring. I'm not 100% on that though
The original proposal was for the tax to be exempts from bonafide orders made prior to April 20, 2021, and delivered after Jan 1 '22. But again, this is all in the draft legislation... the further this gets pushed out, there will have to be amendments to dates, etc.

The Canadian dealer associations are pushing back for a number of reasons, not least of which is due to this being a compounding tax - the GST / HST is applied to the Luxury tax as well (tax on tax) and there was no trade offset for the luxury tax, as there is for GST / HST, which really complicates the sales process, etc.

I could see this being pushed out for some time.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #2576
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who definitely can't afford a 100k car anyway, it's a stupid ass tax.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 01:55 PM   #2577
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

There should be an exemption for guys who are about to retire and have saved their whole lives to buy one exceptional purchase.

The retirement motorhome, a small private plane to spend the days flying cross country to see the kids or that awesome car you could never afford when you were trying to fund your kids college.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #2578
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
As someone who definitely can't afford a 100k car anyway, it's a stupid ass tax.
It is annoying to me as a person that can purchase cars in the $80-120k range. It's now prohibitive to get something like an M3 but at the same time there's no incentive to get something like a Model 3 Performance or i4 M50 as the rebate program is useless. I suppose I will stick with ICE and look for something that's just below the luxury tax threshold and in this scenario the government gains nothing as I'm not paying their tax and I'm not going EV and I expect a lot of people will go this route which makes the whole thing kind of a fail for the government.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #2579
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I suppose I will stick with ICE and look for something that's just below the luxury tax threshold and in this scenario the government gains nothing as I'm not paying their tax and I'm not going EV and I expect a lot of people will go this route which makes the whole thing kind of a fail for the government.
But, "tax the rich!"
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #2580
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

"The rich" and "people who can spend >$100k on a car" aren't mutually inclusive. I most certainly would not consider myself 'rich'.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: