Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2022, 01:50 PM   #1481
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wife arriving home from work with the little one after daycare pickup and her first words once she's in the door are 'Daddy'!

Usually the best part of my day.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 02:25 PM   #1482
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Outside at lunch and a mom was taking her toddler out of the car. The toddler sees me, smiles and waves (I don't know her). Such a simple gesture made my day.
moral of the story, sometimes the smallest things can have big effects.
this is sooooooo true.

we moved to bc from ontario at the beginning of summer in 1986. september arrived soon enough and i was going to a new school in a new city/province and i didn't know a soul. my folks had gone to the school a few days before everything started up and got some info for me... where my home room was, my locker number, etc. so with that info in hand i headed off to school. i guess i must have looked like a lost sheep when i came in (i was starting grade 8... so we were all the young kids at the school) and girl came up to me and said, "hi, i'm sarah, i'm in grade 12 and you look a little lost - can i help you find anything?" i told her the info i knew and she showed me where my locker was (it was 1 row over from her's) and then she showed me where my home room was. becuz our lockers were close i'd see her often and just getting a little smile or a wave meant so much being that i didn't know anyone.
fast forward 30 years and i have a new customer come by who needs a bunch of stuff embroidered. i meet this woman (named sarah) and i immediately know that i know her from somewhere. it was only after she left that i had the "ah ha!" moment. when she came to get her stuff i said to her, "i need to ask you a few questions" and she replied, "sure."
me: did you graduate from 'xyz' secondary school in 1987?
sarah: i did
me: was your locker at the end of the school right by the office?
sarah: it was.
me: was your maiden name ----? (it's a very easy name to remember becuz even now it still makes me giggle becuz i'm totally immature!)
sarah: yea it was - did we go to high school together?
me: no... i don't think so!
both of us: burst out laughing.

i told her about how she was just nice to me and how huge that was for me going to a new school and not knowing anyone.... and even 30 years later that still has a lasting impact - she was almost in tears.
so yea - all that to say that just the simplest of gestures can have huge lasting effects on people.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:25 PM   #1483
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Wife arriving home from work with the little one after daycare pickup and her first words once she's in the door are 'Daddy'!

I'm on pickup duty, wife does the drop off but seeing him drop any toy from across the room and run full speed over to me is the best.

His teachers say at the end of the day he always says "Dada cunning" (daddy Coming) because he knows i'm walking through the door any minute
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 10:06 PM   #1484
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

pick up duty for my son from preschool was always fun - i'll never forget the day that i was greeted with this - i was so proud....

IMG_2178 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i honestly didn't think he could top that until last year in kindergarten. he found out the school librarian is an oilers fan and every single week when the class had library time he'd ask her to get him a flames book. the school has 3 different flames books and he would cycle thru them week in and week out. it was hilarious. another thing we eventually noticed was that he ALWAYS wore either a flames shirt or jersey every thursday - which was library day.... just to bug the librarian! ha!
Old 01-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #1485
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It’s no baby waving at you but I just watched a video of my friend’s daughter dropping in on a vert ramp for the first time. That put a smile on my face.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 10:52 AM   #1486
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Doesn't every guy love being called daddy by their spouse? Just kidding...set ups for easy dirty jokes really make me happy.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:55 AM   #1487
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
pick up duty for my son from preschool was always fun - i'll never forget the day that i was greeted with this - i was so proud....

IMG_2178 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i honestly didn't think he could top that until last year in kindergarten. he found out the school librarian is an oilers fan and every single week when the class had library time he'd ask her to get him a flames book. the school has 3 different flames books and he would cycle thru them week in and week out. it was hilarious. another thing we eventually noticed was that he ALWAYS wore either a flames shirt or jersey every thursday - which was library day.... just to bug the librarian! ha!
I've always wondered... due to the type of work you do, have you ever embroidered a items with more obvious trolling against rivals for distribution?

I know you had mentioned in the past you did something like that with the base of some type of Canuck thing, but I was wondering if you kinda did it a little bit more for funsies. Like a cloth mask or pencil case etc. with either a Flaming C logo that blends in, or something that has "Edmonton is no good" embroidered in the rim of a cap or something that you gift?

If he's trolling his librarian, it seems that your son seems like the perfect type of clever individual to play the long game and try and convert his friends.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:01 AM   #1488
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
me: was your maiden name ----? (it's a very easy name to remember becuz even now it still makes me giggle becuz i'm totally immature!)
sarah: yea it was - did we go to high school together?
me: no... i don't think so!
both of us: burst out laughing.
Awesome story.
Did her last name rhyme with a female body part?
Mulva?
Old 01-13-2022, 01:36 PM   #1489
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I've always wondered... due to the type of work you do, have you ever embroidered a items with more obvious trolling against rivals for distribution?

I know you had mentioned in the past you did something like that with the base of some type of Canuck thing, but I was wondering if you kinda did it a little bit more for funsies. Like a cloth mask or pencil case etc. with either a Flaming C logo that blends in, or something that has "Edmonton is no good" embroidered in the rim of a cap or something that you gift?

If he's trolling his librarian, it seems that your son seems like the perfect type of clever individual to play the long game and try and convert his friends.

it's really tough to hide stuff in the logos - usually the design is a corporate logo and you can't really mess with it.

the kelowna diving club is the logo i put the canucks rectangle stick logo in...
nucks by bc-chris, on Flickr

i also did this not so subtle one for a set of jerseys when i put teams in summer hockey tournaments...
IMG_2885 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i have a buddy of mine that i'm going to be making an oilers hoodie for (yea - gag - i know!) and inside the hoodie, right over the heart i'm going to put a little flames logo in vinyl. he won't notice it until the hoodie is inside out - so it could take a while! ha! ha!
Old 01-13-2022, 01:41 PM   #1490
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Awesome story.
Did her last name rhyme with a female body part?
Mulva?

ha! no (wasn't that one a seinfeld episode?). but like i mentioned... there's lot of immaturity behind this keyboard, so it doesn't take much to amuse me! ha! like the old saying goes - you're only young once but you can be immature forever!
Old 01-14-2022, 09:02 PM   #1491
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I take my seven month old German Shepherd puppy to work with me every day in the industrial area just off 50th Ave. Today she bolted on me when I accidentally left our overhead door open slightly. It was a truly horrifying experience because of the number of large trucks and equipment that roll through the area. Literally all trucks, semi’s and cars stopped while I frantically tried to catch her. People of every walk of life left their vehicles to help me corral her. I love my industrial people.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 07:58 AM   #1492
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

This video sums up my family dynamic

FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:59 AM   #1493
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a beautiful day!
Get outside if you can.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #1494
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

this will sound silly but i find myself finally being creative in minecraft and building a house/farm/ with no template or youtube tutorial on an existing nice build. i have almost no creative juice; my cities in skyline were boring grids too. so finding a nice spot in the game and being able to build freely and have it come out ok is gratifying
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #1495
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What a beautiful day!
Get outside if you can.
I wish. Lots of work to do. It will be done by February. I've had to cut so many things I enjoy including sleep to finish what I must.

Going to sleep like 18 hours on Feb 1 and then nature splurge if the weather allows then.

Do love the sunshine knowing its melting the snow right now.

I normally hate wind, but realized that I love it when it's coming from a chinook. Only hate it when I know its the cold and miserable kind.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:17 PM   #1496
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We took off yesterday with plans of driving up the FTR and camping. We were prepared if we decided to stay out overnight, but my right hip has really been bothering me so we decided to just make a day drive of it. The plan was to go up the FTR from the 1A (well, the Beaupre Creek corner) up to the old Mountainaire Lodge intersection, then take the Coal Camp road (Twp 314A-Twp 315A) back through Sundre on the way home on Sunday but I couldn't hack my hip overnight so that got kiboshed.

We got distracted by the Hunter Valley Rd, which we'd never been down so we drove it until it turned into a goat trail & we were in danger of getting the truck stuck out there until July, lol. What a beautiful drive and a beautiful day. We stopped at what I assume is a day-use area just before you get back to the FTR & did some burgers on our BioLite stove. It was hoodie weather out there too, only put my winter jacket on as the sun started to get low & it started to cool off. Went back south on the FTR, then cut across on the Harald Creek Rd through Water Valley to the 22 then on to home.

Lots of people out camping down the Hunter Valley Rd, lots of people just out for a day drive & a lot of people having a lot of fun on Razrs. Getting out into the bush, exploring a new road, being out in nature with no city sounds makes me really happy.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 11:02 AM   #1497
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
it's really tough to hide stuff in the logos - usually the design is a corporate logo and you can't really mess with it.

the kelowna diving club is the logo i put the canucks rectangle stick logo in...
nucks by bc-chris, on Flickr

i also did this not so subtle one for a set of jerseys when i put teams in summer hockey tournaments...
IMG_2885 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i have a buddy of mine that i'm going to be making an oilers hoodie for (yea - gag - i know!) and inside the hoodie, right over the heart i'm going to put a little flames logo in vinyl. he won't notice it until the hoodie is inside out - so it could take a while! ha! ha!
The Flames logo is a good thing. Could you embroider or vinyl "Edmonton is no good" or something silly like that behind or inside the hoodie pouch? (so he can't see it until he flips it inside out?)

I'm just curious of the trolling ideas.

The orange Canuck logo looks like it could be a pretty funny pac man type of trolling.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:33 PM   #1498
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Creating a brand new thread for a ranting troll to take their nonsense to makes me happy. We should do this more often, give them a sense of entitlement and let them do whatever they want in their own little thread.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:51 PM   #1499
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
this will sound silly but i find myself finally being creative in minecraft and building a house/farm/ with no template or youtube tutorial on an existing nice build. i have almost no creative juice; my cities in skyline were boring grids too. so finding a nice spot in the game and being able to build freely and have it come out ok is gratifying
You're not alone in the feeling of having no creative juice. My brother-in-law got mad at his wife for buying the kids lego. She didn't buy any sets, she just bought somebody's assorted lego. There was no instructions on what/how to build and he made her sell it.

Me, I built like crazy with my kids. In our old house we built an 8 foot tower.

As for Minecraft. I built some super massive palace in creative mode. The satisfying part is hearing the kid's friends and their "woah!"s when the kids show it to them. My son figure out how to load it onto their MineHut server and it's a popular place for them to play (they put it on a Survival map now). I'm still building the local creative version. It's something fun to pickup every now and then. I've been building it for around 5 years. It's massive.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:31 PM   #1500
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried online grocery ordering and curbside pickup for the first time today. Wow, why didn't I start doing this earlier? I'm never stepping foot in a grocery store again
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: