Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #1461
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You should have started with that! For some reason on all the vehicles I've had it on, if remote start doesn't work, you can sit in the vehicle and have a much better chance. Not sure why, but it isn't uncommon. Below -20 I don't even bother trying the remote button if it wasn't plugged in.

A block heater isn't going to warm up the power steering fluid, so be gentle until it warms up.
Lol I totally should have! I apologize for not thinking of doing that sooner. But I sincerely thank you for all the advice. It's only a 3 year old battery, so it shouldn't have too many issues. But maybe when it gets long in the tooth, I should invest in a battery blanket and a battery charger.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #1462
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

In our climate everyone should have a battery charger and booster cables.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 12-27-2021 at 04:28 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #1463
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You should have started with that! For some reason on all the vehicles I've had it on, if remote start doesn't work, you can sit in the vehicle and have a much better chance. Not sure why, but it isn't uncommon. Below -20 I don't even bother trying the remote button if it wasn't plugged in.

A block heater isn't going to warm up the power steering fluid, so be gentle until it warms up.
Weird, my truck started via remote start at -42 last winter without it plugged in overnight. 5 year old battery too.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #1464
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Weird, my truck started via remote start at -42 last winter without it plugged in overnight. 5 year old battery too.
Ya, I dunno, I've experienced it a few times, so maybe vehicle dependent. I'm not sure if the remote start maybe does something slightly different than if you turn the key? Or maybe it's not running long enough to turn over.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:56 PM   #1465
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely depends on the starter and the vehicle. A lot of remote starts won't crank for very long
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:03 PM   #1466
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
In our climate everyone should have a battery charger and booster cables.
...and a heated garage like Sliver
Old 12-27-2021, 10:55 PM   #1467
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Manual Transmissions RMMH
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2021, 11:32 PM   #1468
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I dressed up as an Elf and helped my neighbour give out gifts to his grandchildren who were here for Christmas.

Old 12-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #1469
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just had a beef tongue burrito and beer at my local burrito place. When I finished, I walked out into the crisp December air and let loose the most satisfying giant belch. I’m wearing my favourite Brooks Brothers flannel pants and a new Acne raglan sleeved overcoat. Life is great.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #1470
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peter12, are the Covid isolation requirements different in BC? On the 21st you posted you were a close contact but had not received test results yet. A few days later you posted your symptoms lasted about a day before clearing up and (I think) that both you and your partner had tested positive. Now your out and around? That's verboten in Alberta.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:16 PM   #1471
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Peter12, are the Covid isolation requirements different in BC? On the 21st you posted you were a close contact but had not received test results yet. A few days later you posted your symptoms lasted about a day before clearing up and (I think) that both you and your partner had tested positive. Now your out and around? That's verboten in Alberta.
We tested positive on the 21st and today is 7 days later as per BC Ministry of Health guidance for double vaxxed people
Old 12-28-2021, 09:29 PM   #1472
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
We tested positive on the 21st and today is 7 days later as per BC Ministry of Health guidance for double vaxxed people
Thx, and interesting. It’s 10 days (minimum) here.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:14 AM   #1473
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Beer floats RMMH.

Years ago as a young lad, helping grandpa out on the farm you'd work up a sweat and learn new words from grandpa. On one particularly hot day, we finished up and went back into the house. Grandpa was gonna have a beer and figured I should have one as well, reward for all the work fixing that "goddamned cultivator". So he says oh you will like this... and built me a beer float. "Just don't tell your mother, this will put hair on your chest". 7 or 8 year old me was in heaven. Beers with grandpa.
Tastes delicious, and brings me back. Just don't use anything but vanilla ice cream for the love of God lol
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 04:18 PM   #1474
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Our Telus bill ballooned back in July and I hate having to renegotiate our plan. That coupled with being overly busy at work, I ended up not doing anything about the bill until today.

I was considering cutting the cord and just going with internet and streaming services. But my mother in law lives with us and she requires (at a minimum) Golf Channel and TSN (for majors). I know I can buy TSN for a month if needed, but was having trouble finding Golf Channel outside of a cable provider.

So I chatted with the frontline support person, who could only reduce our bill by $20, but he offered to forward me to loyalty. I told my tale of woe, and they cut our TV bill in half. I mentioned I could get Freedom's 150mbps internet for $55/month and they agreed to match that.

The cherry on the cake was she offered (I never asked) to then credit us the amount that our bill went up over the last 6 months. They've always refused to credited me for procrastinating to renegotiate my bill in the past, so this was a welcome surprise. It was probably the most satisfying call I've had to make with a tv/internet provider. Nice way to end the year.
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:10 PM   #1475
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Our Telus bill ballooned back in July and I hate having to renegotiate our plan. That coupled with being overly busy at work, I ended up not doing anything about the bill until today.

I was considering cutting the cord and just going with internet and streaming services. But my mother in law lives with us and she requires (at a minimum) Golf Channel and TSN (for majors). I know I can buy TSN for a month if needed, but was having trouble finding Golf Channel outside of a cable provider.

So I chatted with the frontline support person, who could only reduce our bill by $20, but he offered to forward me to loyalty. I told my tale of woe, and they cut our TV bill in half. I mentioned I could get Freedom's 150mbps internet for $55/month and they agreed to match that.

The cherry on the cake was she offered (I never asked) to then credit us the amount that our bill went up over the last 6 months. They've always refused to credited me for procrastinating to renegotiate my bill in the past, so this was a welcome surprise. It was probably the most satisfying call I've had to make with a tv/internet provider. Nice way to end the year.
Not to rain on your parade.... You'll likely need to follow up on the renegotiated plan cost and retroactive credit. Happens to me every time and takes a few months to sort out but they eventually do.
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:01 PM   #1476
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

My neighbourhood makes me happy.

I was out clean some packed snow off my driveway and a dude was walking by.

I said hello and he responded.

Ended up have a lovely 20 min conversation.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:33 PM   #1477
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a pretty rough day, came home from the hospital, fell asleep instantly on the couch, and woke up to my partner making me peanut butter cookies.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:22 PM   #1478
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got a beard styling cream that smells just like expensive cigars.

It takes me right back to my exotic vacations of years past. Just instant good vibes, and I can bask in it all day while keeping the chin mane under control.

It's the greatest thing ever.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 01:07 PM   #1479
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Outside at lunch and a mom was taking her toddler out of the car. The toddler sees me, smiles and waves (I don't know her). Such a simple gesture made my day.
moral of the story, sometimes the smallest things can have big effects.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:28 PM   #1480
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I got a beard styling cream that smells just like expensive cigars.

It takes me right back to my exotic vacations of years past. Just instant good vibes, and I can bask in it all day while keeping the chin mane under control.

It's the greatest thing ever.
Oh yeah, I love a great beard cream.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post: