Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #21
FleuryFan89
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm not hacking a water heater.
I would hardly call changing an adjustable setting. Hacking a water heater.

But if you are not getting water that is hot enough. Would it not make sence to change your adjustable setting. Something that is common practice in the industry.
I am not saying change it to the highest settings they can go to. (Some actually go very high)

But if not enjoy the default setting which is giving you water that is not warm enough.
Seems like a waste to me.
FleuryFan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #22
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We have a Noritz that was installed with our new build. I found the water used to take some time to warm up and then discovered that there are cycles you can program into the unit so there is always a fresh 'supply' available. Ultimately the unit now cycles hot water through the pipes every hour (and more frequently during peak periods) so there is very little time spent waiting for hot water at the tap or shower head.

Have tested it's capacity with two hot showers occurring at once and we had no problems. Other than cleaning the little air filter, I've found them to be very useful and maintenance free.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:24 PM   #23
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Having had a tankless in my previous house, I'm trying to understand how it takes any longer for the water to get hot at the tap. Having a tank doesn't mean that the length of water pipes to the tap is any less. Perhaps a difference of a couple seconds while the tankless heats up, that's about it.

I loved ours, and would do again.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #24
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
My parents got a Rinnai and pretty much hate it.

There is no cost savings of any kind because of the amount of energy it uses and the amount of water it wastes.

So yes, its true that you 'never run out of hot water' which is awesome in case you decide to channel your inner Cosmo Kramer and choose to live in your shower, but otherwise its a real pain in the ass.

As others have said the water takes forever to heat up and doesnt get as hot as a normal water tank.
The water from a tankless can get hotter than you ever need it. Another thing to check is if your shower taps have a temperature limiter on them that can be adjusted.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:38 PM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I think that depends what you get. I have heard for Canada you need a powerful one as our water can be pretty cold entering the unit. One's designed for Florida don't work so well here.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #26
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My sister has an electric one in Nova Scotia, Natural gas isn't an option there so it works for her, but she's not a big fan.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:48 PM   #27
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Having had a tankless in my previous house, I'm trying to understand how it takes any longer for the water to get hot at the tap. Having a tank doesn't mean that the length of water pipes to the tap is any less. Perhaps a difference of a couple seconds while the tankless heats up, that's about it.
I'd say most take an average of 10-15 seconds to get up to temp from "cold". Add that to 15-20 seconds (distance from heater dependent) to make its way down the pipes.....and I've already finished washing my hands 10 seconds ago.

Less of an issue with the shower since it draws a lot of volume and you'd let it heat up anyways.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:42 PM   #28
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I've already washed my hands before hot water gets down the pipe even with my tank.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:04 PM   #29
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I've already washed my hands before hot water gets down the pipe even with my tank.
I have a hot water re-circulation pump, so I get hot water in about 2 seconds after I turn on the tap since the warm water is continuously recirculated in the system.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #30
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't really need hot water. Been doing cold showers since the summer. Much healthier.

http://www.icemanwimhof.com/vice-documentary
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #31
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Anybody have any recent experience since this thread started? I'm currently in the market for something, and tankless is an option. They do run quite a bit more expensive up front (especially when you have to run a new gas line), but I've heard very different takes on cost savings – I've heard everything from $700/year down to $0.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #32
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Anybody have any recent experience since this thread started? I'm currently in the market for something, and tankless is an option. They do run quite a bit more expensive up front (especially when you have to run a new gas line), but I've heard very different takes on cost savings – I've heard everything from $700/year down to $0.
I have one. Do you have an effective water softener?

Reason why is that the tankless systems will scale up if their water source is Calgary's notorious hard water. We do not have a water softener so we pay a plumber to descale it annually at the tune of $100-200 a visit. The water softener / scaling maintenance algebra should be factored into your cost equations.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #33
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

had one installed a couple of years ago, massively cheaper than my old tank, it takes exactly the same amount of time for the hot water to get from the old tank to the tap than it does the tankless so that's no different.

Thus far I couldn't recommend one enough its been so positive
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #34
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hate ours. I have to sit there and waste +1 minutes of running water before I get water hot enough to wash my hands with. Not worth it in my opinion, unless you're taking extremely long showers.
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdubz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #35
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would like to install something to boost my hot water to a ridiculous temperature for baths/showers. Any plumbers out there know what kind of device I would need (Like an in-line tankless heater) but that accepts hot water as input?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #36
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I have a hot water re-circulation pump, so I get hot water in about 2 seconds after I turn on the tap since the warm water is continuously recirculated in the system.
That seems much less efficient then a water heater, you have all of the heat transfer from the pipes instead of much less surface area in an insulated tank. Also do you need some kind of pump to recirculate the water?
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #37
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

My parents have one. I can't comment specifically on savings etc other than my dad loves it because it saves a ton of money and my mom hates it because it takes way too long to get hot water.

The only other thing I know is that you can run out of hot water if you are using more than it produces. Not likely for most people unless you are running your dishwasher plus several people are showing at once or in quick succession. I would guess it depends on the model you buy as well.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #38
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
That seems much less efficient then a water heater, you have all of the heat transfer from the pipes instead of much less surface area in an insulated tank. Also do you need some kind of pump to recirculate the water?
I don't think it's going for efficiency. It's going for the comfort/convenience of having hot water available as soon as you turn on the faucet.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #39
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I don't think it's going for efficiency. It's going for the comfort/convenience of having hot water available as soon as you turn on the faucet.
A home builder I know explained it to me once. Beyond the added cost of installation, I recall him saying it evened out on cost because the heat loss was minimal but the reduction in water usage made it worth it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #40
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not hacking a water heater.
Yes you are, because only hilarious things can happen from it.