Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-02-2022, 04:39 PM   #1
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Portugal Travel Suggestions

Any recommendations for travel in Portugal? I'll be there in July, half the time in Lisbon and half in Porto. Looking for interesting sites in those two cities, or nearby.

Current Lisbon ideas include: Belem area, day trip to Sintra, and food tour in the Alfama area.

Current Porto ideas include: Douro Valley Historical tour with cruise and winery visit/tasting.

Also, Air Canada says I need to be at the airport 4 hours (!) ahead for my return flight (Porto-Lisbon-Toronto-Calgary). Anyone know if that's accurate?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only got to spend a day and half in Porto prior to heading south to Lagos. But it was awesome! I’d go back for sure. Don’t have specifics to mention but taste some port. It’s amazing there (obviously!).
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:21 PM   #3
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going there too in summer. Never been there before. Will be reading this thread.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:31 PM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found Lisbon in the main area to be a bit pushy. We got the Lisboa card, but read the rules, maybe it changed. For us we had to print something off, and since we bought it on vacation, well, finding a printer was a PIA. That was about 7! years ago.

https://www.lisboacard.org/

Good savings though. Take the old trolley up to Castelo de S. Jorge(their will be a line for the tram, and the signage is confusing but the ride up is fun), then walk down and grab food on the way down before you get to the busy square. Stop at Se De Lisboa on the way down as well, if you aren't sick of churches.

Transit is notoriously unreliable. We took it over to the Belem tower area. On the way back two trains hit each other, and we just walked back, it was quicker! The tower is super busy and skip-able if the line looks crazy. In that area see Jeronimos Monaster and of course Padrão dos Descobrimentos.

If it's a rain day and you want inside, the Museu Calouste Gulbenkian is worth a visit, just hop the subway. I think the card covered admission.

Sintra is worth the trip and an interesting story about brothers being brothers. While out, hit up Quinta da Regaleira. It's crazy crazy. Rich dude built a weird Disney like palace. It's kinda like the Enchanted Forest, but leveled up.

You should really go to Lagos! Such a great area.

Spoiler!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 07:37 PM   #5
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This looks fun.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2022, 09:05 AM   #6
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have very fond memories of this restaurant. If you like eclectic weird places with great food...

https://www.ginginhatransmontana.bizay.pt/ementa

Super cool place, Portugal. Travelled through Lisbon and south to Albufeira. If you head south check out Silves. In Lisbon, Castelo de S. Jorge was cool. We luckily had a family friend there who shuttled us all around the city taking in the sites. Hope you like fish!
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2022, 09:56 AM   #7
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lisbon is probably my favourite city in western Europe. Amazing food, great friendly people, beautiful setting and architecture.

I stayed in an Airbnb in Alfama which was a great neighbourhood to have as a home base. I'd recommend going to the Timeout market for excellent food and drink. Also, take one of the old streetcars for a fun tour of the city. There are many great bars and restaurants in the Bairo Alto neighbourhood.

Also - eat as many Pastéis de Nata a possible!

Porto is smaller but also fantastic. Checking out the Port wineries on the Douro is a must.

Last edited by Zarley; 05-03-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #8
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I asked my friend who lives in Portugal and this is what she had to say:

-Sintra (was already mentioned I think), try the traditional pastries. Also has a beautiful forest you can visit
-Bairro Alto and Chiado (Lisbon) are must visit, but wear comfortable shoes in Lisbon because the stone sidewalks are a pain to walk in.
-Algarve for the beaches
-Viana do Castelo
-Serra da Estrela is a mountain reserve type thing, but it's more fun in the winter so this is probably out
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:09 PM   #9
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is more to Portugal than just the mainland. There is also Madiera, where Cristiano Ronaldo was born. Very beautiful island. Then there is the Azores, a collection of islands in the Atlantic; it's also a very interesting place to visit.