Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2022, 03:03 PM   #1
T-Dog
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Dental Implants

My daughter is going to need a couple of dental implants as part of her orthodontic treatment. Does anyone have any recent experience in terms of cost in Calgary? Do benefit plans typically cover a portion of the cost (i.e. the crown)? Any recommendations for periodontists for the implants?
T-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I don’t remember the name who I was referred to, but they were located in the building overlooking Lake Bonavista. They said I could hope to have it for 10 years and it’s been well over 15 without any issues.

Hope everything goes well! I was very intimidated by the process but it was quite smooth with not bad recovery time. They gave me adivan (so? anti anxiety med) for the procedure and that really helped me personally.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I have 4 dental implants, all molars. I was prescribed a sedative (Halcion) as well.. Dental stuff freaks me out.

It all went really well, long process though with bone grafting.

Can't answer your question re: plans in Calgary. But dental plans in general don't cover a whole lot in regards to dental implants..

You may want to look into dental implants in Mexico.. no joke on youtube
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:18 PM   #4
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post
Do benefit plans typically cover a portion of the cost (i.e. the crown)?
If you have a health care spending account as part of your benefit plan, that should be usable for any dental expense up to the balance of the spending account.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #5
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had one done about six years ago. It was about $2800 including the X-ray fee. It was a straightforward implant, so that would be the starting price… I think they sometimes require multiple visits for bone grafting (or whatever the technical term is). To get the crown done was another $2500. ( Though The fee guide for the crown is less than $1000)

I see internet ads for $2999 implants.

EDIT: Regarding coverage, I had dual coverage and managed to get about $2000 for the implant and $900 for the crown, but after one of my plans changed and I needed a second implant it was going to be only $1250 for the implant and $500 for the crown.

Last edited by Nancy; 04-15-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:06 PM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

You will likely get some coverage for these. But usually plans only cover the least cost alternative
Old 04-17-2022, 10:17 PM   #7
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My periodontist quoted me roughly $4000-5000 all said and done for an implant. Examination, full tooth extraction, bone graft, post, and crown.

Work benefits will likely cover some of it depending on coverage. My work has coverage through Sunlife and they partially covered the consultation, x-rays, extraction, and will be partially covering part the crown, but everything else that is part of the procedure is not covered

My crown should be going in in May, not quite sure how much that costs.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:59 AM   #8
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
I have 4 dental implants, all molars. I was prescribed a sedative (Halcion) as well.. Dental stuff freaks me out.

It all went really well, long process though with bone grafting.

Can't answer your question re: plans in Calgary. But dental plans in general don't cover a whole lot in regards to dental implants..

You may want to look into dental implants in Mexico.. no joke on youtube
Don't go to Mexico to get dental implants. Most times I'm sure that everything goes great with no issues but in the chance it goes bad and with cost cutting facilities with fewer restrictions/oversight, it goes really, really bad.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2022, 07:11 AM   #9
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe not Mexico, but check out other provinces if cost is an issue. My friend needed major dental work and it was cheaper to fly to Manitoba (where she had family) and get it done there than get it done in Alberta, since she didn't have work benefits.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #10
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Don't go to Mexico to get dental implants. Most times I'm sure that everything goes great with no issues but in the chance it goes bad and with cost cutting facilities with fewer restrictions/oversight, it goes really, really bad.
You're probably right, but being in AZ and knowing a ton of folks who've done it they've had no complaints.

There are a ton of Youtube vids/testimonials/vlogs, etc that chronicle alot of visitors doing it there.

Before I got a job with great benefits it was a consideration for me. Not everyone is that lucky and even then it was close to $10k.. It's insane how expensive implants are considering it really isn't a hard job for dentists. My dentist told me that doing root canals is often a harder task.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:49 PM   #11
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

life is full of choices and and options at various price points.

i know of people that had dental work done in mexico with no issues and another who had problems and had to get it fixed here and in the end it cost more.

to me given my understanding of what is involved, i'd get an implant done here locally - or at least some place that i could relatively easily drive to - say southeastern BC or possibly Montana (COVID border issues not withstanding) in case something goes wrong.