Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2022, 11:40 AM   #2761
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
McMahon Stadium had these 30 years ago. cartons of coke with flaps folded over.

I thought 7-11 also used a similar style for big gulps or slurpees decades ago.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:17 PM   #2762
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game changer?

https://news.mit.edu/2022/thermal-heat-engine-0413
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #2763
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's interesting, but it's efficiency is only 40%, and that would be after other conversion losses and heat loss, as I doubt you would have perfect containment of the heat. Would be interesting to hear how long an installation of the size they describe could run for. Might be good in desert areas with endless solar potential, just as a nightly battery.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #2764
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The design could someday...
That almost always means never.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 06:19 PM   #2765
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The going gets turf: do lawns have a future in the age of drought?

https://www.economist.com/1843/2022/...age-of-drought
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:22 PM   #2766
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those new to the topic of climate change or just looking for a refresher, here are three videos that explain climate change in a very well presented way. The third video does a good job of explaining why trusting the experts is the correct thing to do.

Language warning on this one:
NSFW!

Please note that this should not be construed as me putting undue pressure on anyone to watch these in their entirety. If you don't have 90 minutes to spare, don't watch them I guess. This post is meant for those who have a real interest in growing and/or refreshing their knowledge on this topic.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:05 PM   #2767
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The going gets turf: do lawns have a future in the age of drought?

https://www.economist.com/1843/2022/...age-of-drought
Leave it to the economist to bring this up like it's some kind of new idea. Like, come on. Anyone with a clue knows that lawns are a huge waste of water and a symbol of our society's ridiculous infatuation with waste and self-destruction. Shameful and embarrassing.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:48 PM   #2768
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post

Thanks for posting, this was definitely an interesting video.

Here is where the video lost me a bit though, right around the 13:30 mark where he attributes massive increases to life expectancy, world population, world GDP, and then verbally- sanitation systems and agricultural developments, not to mention all those inventions he displays before all this- he attributes all these things to science.

I think he is partially wrong and ignores a massive part of why human development is the way it is. I think so much of the above is attributable to the rise of- you guessed it- fossil fuel use. This is the problem with climate change and the recommendations posed to global societies writ large.

How are we supposed to maintain- I mean set aside improve, but just maintain- standards of living, global GDP, world populations and life expectancies without fossil fuel use?

I am all for suggestions and improvements to energy systems, invention, new ways of living and hell even new societal establishments but if this implies that we are 20 or 30 years out from some kind of phase out of fossil fuels I just can't buy into that. Fossil fuels is what has enabled the spur of invention, devices, plastics, food, medicines, transportation systems, computing systems, communication, health care and education systems, broad economic stimulus in modern economies and societies that have industrialized. Science is no doubt, absolutely, a part of that- a very crucial part of that, but it is on the back of fossil fuels that enabled all of this.

That's the juxtaposition and problem whenever you hear people say "no fossil fuels" because all I hear is that they are willing to risk killing more people than climate change might. Starvation and heating homes and societal stability are critical things too so it should not shock idealogues that there are some- in the words of the video- healthy skepticism- especially in the face of this uncertainty the author notes.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:34 AM   #2769
Delgar
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Alaska shut down the crab industry for the season, yesterday. No gathering snow or king crab. Population has suddenly declined by approx 90% in some parts.

WTF? It happened suddenly.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/16/us/al...ate/index.html

Last edited by Delgar; 10-18-2022 at 04:40 AM.
Delgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:43 AM   #2770
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Leave it to the economist to bring this up like it's some kind of new idea. Like, come on. Anyone with a clue knows that lawns are a huge waste of water and a symbol of our society's ridiculous infatuation with waste and self-destruction. Shameful and embarrassing.
LOL wow. I guess Pepsi isn't the only one with an unhealthy dislike for lawns.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:12 AM   #2771
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
LOL wow. I guess Pepsi isn't the only one with an unhealthy dislike for lawns.
That one hits home, hey?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:02 AM   #2772
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue is that phase out of fossil fuels in 30 years is a requirement. If we don't, billions of lives are at stake [I]forever[I], and you can't undo the damage. You keep saying that phasing out fossil fuels will kill more than climate change, but I think there's zero studies to back that up.

The whole point is we have to figure out the way because there is no alternative and that's what we're in the middle of. It's not impossible, you might not be able to see it now, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 08:28 AM   #2773
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
That one hits home, hey?
Not really. I'm not one of those people with underground systems that water every day or two which are the vast minority in this city. I water once a week or less depending on the amount of rain we get. I just find that hilarious to see it lumped in with self-destruction.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:39 AM   #2774
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not really. I'm not one of those people with underground systems that water every day or two which are the vast minority in this city. I water once a week or less depending on the amount of rain we get. I just find that hilarious to see it lumped in with self-destruction.
So, you put 100s of gallons (admittedly, in this post) of treated, potable water, on your grass over the course of a summer.

Tell me, what exactly is it that you do on your grass? Actually, let's start with the math for fun. Do you estimate say, 15 minutes of watering per attempt? Or slightly more?

I'm curious why you don't see this as potentially destructive.
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #2775
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

May- September = 21.5 Weeks, 15 minutes per week watering, average flow rate of a garden hose= 13 gallons per minute....

=4,192.5 gallons of water on your lawn over the summer.
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #2776
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
The issue is that phase out of fossil fuels in 30 years is a requirement. If we don't, billions of lives are at stake [I]forever[I], and you can't undo the damage. You keep saying that phasing out fossil fuels will kill more than climate change, but I think there's zero studies to back that up.

The whole point is we have to figure out the way because there is no alternative and that's what we're in the middle of. It's not impossible, you might not be able to see it now, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
We obviously can't phase it out now - but the idea we can't figure out a way to greatly reduce fossil fuel use seems unlikely. We at one point were using coal to power everything and we've moved away from that a lot. We'll figure out a way to reduce oil usage as well.

No one making serious decisions is saying cut the fossil fuels off tomorrow so we can all go back to living in squalor.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:44 AM   #2777
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Even if your watering is average multiply that by the millions of homes in this country. Think of all the water, fertilizer, and mowing that is done for something that is merely decorative. How is disliking that waste of energy and resources unhealthy?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:44 AM   #2778
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

We should be able to get to a point where we can all agree on how useless lawns are. It'd be far more beneficial to have that area as garden if you're going to be watering it, or deep rooted shrubs/trees which don't require regular watering.

Grass doesn't provide anything, nor is it a carbon sink.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #2779
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I water mine only in really dry periods, and mostly for the trees and shrubs. Even this summer, I think I did 1 hour x 4 times. And no way is 13 GPM coming out of my sprinkler....maybe 5.

But I didn't install the lawn, and I've gradually been converting it. Just doesn't make much sense to spend a bunch of money(and emissions) tearing it up and replacing it with something else.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:52 AM   #2780
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
So, you put 100s of gallons (admittedly, in this post) of treated, potable water, on your grass over the course of a summer.

Tell me, what exactly is it that you do on your grass? Actually, let's start with the math for fun. Do you estimate say, 15 minutes of watering per attempt? Or slightly more?

I'm curious why you don't see this as potentially destructive.
What am I destroying? I'm not using ocean water to water my lawn.