Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
That's actually what I'm trying to talk to gasfitters for. The few I've spoken to seem reluctant to do that, keep asking me to go to the manufacturer to get the orifice size and etc. and candidly I thought that's the type of work they could do to do the conversion for me...
The gas fitter is installing an approved gas appliance to code. It’s a different set of code requirements to modify an approved appliance.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:20 PM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
What are you trying to do? Outdoors wise without too many walls, it seemed like the gas ones are typically the better ones. I wasn't really impressed with electric/IR type ones unless the area was a little bit enclosed like in a pergola/gazebo set up or partially walled patio. I personally didn't feel like the electric ones made sense unless it was more for a garage or something. Especially since the decent units seemed to cost like $300-400 each and aren't great the moment there's a bit of breeze.
My back deck, which is enclosed by a fence and is up against the back of my house, so it doesn't get too much a breeze... But it's Calgary, when the wind picks up there's just no escape.

It just seems like there's no particularly good option. I have had the "hat heaters" and they just don't do the job, really - even for a smallish 150 sq foot deck. You basically need to be within 2 feet of the base to get any real warmth out of them. The pyramid ones, as far as I can tell, are actually even worse and only exist for aesthetic reasons. I'm just kind of surprised we can't do better than this.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:20 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:02 PM   #24
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a another gasfitter come out who had no issue drilling a hole into the orifice and get it working as expected, thanks all!
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote