Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2022, 02:57 PM   #1
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Jordan Peterson's Rant in the National Post

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jor...ity-of-toronto

Peterson's opinion article posted today to the National Post after his recent resignation where he goes into detail explaining why he did this.

Quote:
First, my qualified and supremely trained heterosexual white male graduate students (and I’ve had many others, by the way) face a negligible chance of being offered university research positions, despite stellar scientific dossiers. This is partly because of Diversity, Inclusivity and Equity mandates (my preferred acronym: DIE). These have been imposed universally in academia, despite the fact that university hiring committees had already done everything reasonable for all the years of my career, and then some, to ensure that no qualified “minority” candidates were ever overlooked. My students are also partly unacceptable precisely because they are my students. I am academic persona non grata, because of my unacceptable philosophical positions. And this isn’t just some inconvenience. These facts rendered my job morally untenable. How can I accept prospective researchers and train them in good conscience knowing their employment prospects to be minimal?
Quote:
Second reason: This is one of many issues of appalling ideology currently demolishing the universities and, downstream, the general culture. Not least because there simply is not enough qualified BIPOC people in the pipeline to meet diversity targets quickly enough (BIPOC: black, indigenous and people of colour, for those of you not in the knowing woke). This has been common knowledge among any remotely truthful academic who has served on a hiring committee for the last three decades. This means we’re out to produce a generation of researchers utterly unqualified for the job. And we’ve seen what that means already in the horrible grievance studies “disciplines.” That, combined with the death of objective testing, has compromised the universities so badly that it can hardly be overstated. And what happens in the universities eventually colours everything. As we have discovered.
*MJ eating popcorn gif*
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 03:08 PM   #2
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume he is on some level intellectually bright, in every other respect though dumber than a rock
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I needed people to pay attention to me again, and this is all I could come up with."
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #4
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #5
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

So yeah...

Once upon a time, as a white male in my 20s in the tech industry for a crown corporation in a vastly dominated male industry, where we were told we needed to hire a lot more women and to make sure to identify as indigenous to meet a quota, I once thought that reverse discrimination and employment equity was a huge injustice.

I have since been married to a woman of visible minority, and see first hand the systemic racism embedded in our Canadian society that women of visible minority face on a daily subconscious level. Where she would be flown in and paid for interviews only to be rejected for not being a fit. The only thing that changed is that it was an in person interview instead of over the phone (she was using her Canadian sounding married name and doesn't have an accent)

From difference on what last name is used, to video interviews yielding 0% success, they are so blatant you can set a watch to how a reaction will be.

I have made several posts about it in the systemic racism thread that is part of our culture that we refuse to action on.

And then you see stories like the Blizzard sex scandal ones.

Makes a heterosexual white male's rant seem rather stupid and oblivious to why the employment equity act is a thing. Even if it's a poor policy in practice and impacts some industries unfairly, it's trying to fix a systemic issue that does fully exist.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:26 PM   #6
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Does he still do video captures living in the home office equivalent of a pig sty?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I think Jordan Peterson was once a very intelligent and rationally debatable person but he has had some mental issues or instabilities and he has gone off the deep end of old-white-man indignation.

He recently gave a talk at Oxford and he looked withered and ragged compared to the last time he was there. He spent the last 1-2 years recovering from a painkiller addiction as he coped with his wife's prognosis. This came after he made most of his second-coming doing lectures about "being a man" and "cleaning up your room" and toughing out addictions, etc.

I do respect some of his ideas and opinions, but now they are so heavily inflected with personal biases and vendettas that every thing has to be taken with a corn of salt.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-19-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I mean Peterson thinks they find new variants for Big Pharma, so yeah...
Old 01-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #9
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I agree that quotas are generally bad but his 2nd point that there are not enough minorities qualified to fit those quotas is laughable. Maybe minorities don't want to apply in areas as toxic as his.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:37 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

When I was at U of C, their political science department had a group called the Calgary School which was big into the Fraser Institute, good friends with Preston Manning and Stephen Harper, etc. One of my profs even left halfway through the semester to run Harper's election campaign.

They were very Peterson like and gave lectures and wrote books that were very right leaning. I recall one prof advocating heavily that the reserve system should be abolished and all the problems they have are due to corruption and their inability to assimilate into mainstream Canadian society and he had a vilified reputation on the left because of his books on the matter.

All said and done though, just like some of Peterson's lectures which you can find on Youtube, I found some of their lectures to be enlightening and utterly captivating and I learned quite a lot that all came back with the recent events in American politics. There are truths and understandings to be found anywhere, but the important thing is that you maintain your own outer shell of critical thinking on top of everything you hear and read.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-19-2022 at 08:13 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 03:37 PM   #11
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy is in drastic need of a new gimmick.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #12
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
despite the fact that university hiring committees had already done everything reasonable for all the years of my career, and then some, to ensure that no qualified “minority” candidates were ever overlooked.
Yeah, I'm gonna guess that the guy who essentially doesn't think transgender people exist, and does petty things like refusing to use people's preferred pronouns, or say put "minority" in quotes, has not/will not, in fact, do everything he can to ensure that no qualified minority candidate is overlooked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 04:17 PM   #13
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
When I was at U of C, their political science department had a group called the Calgary School which was big into the Fraser Institute, good friends with Preston Manning and Stephen Harper, etc. One of my profs even left halfway through the semester to run Harper's election campaign.

They were very Peterson like and gave lectures and wrote books that were very right leaning. I recall one prof advocating heavily that the reserve system should be abolished and all the problems they have are due to corruption and their inability to assimilate into mainstream Canadian society and he had a vilified reputation on the left because of his books on the matter.

All said and done though, just like some of Peterson's lectures which you can find on Youtube, I found some of their lectures to enlightening and utterly captivating and I learned quite a lot that all came back with the recent events in American politics. There are truths and understandings to be found anywhere, but the important thing is that you maintain your own outer shell of critical thinking on top of everything you hear and read.
Spoiler!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #14
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna guess that the guy who essentially doesn't think transgender people exist, and does petty things like refusing to use people's preferred pronouns, or say put "minority" in quotes, has not/will not, in fact, do everything he can to ensure that no qualified minority candidate is overlooked.
There is plenty to criticize him for... But your characterization isn't accurate. Part of the reason society is degenerating is because people are very flippant about accurately representing the facts....
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoLevi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #15
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Does he still do video captures living in the home office equivalent of a pig sty?
Not that I am a fan of Peterson, but that image floating around was during a time in his life when his wife was diagnosed with cancer and he was going through a significant depressed period.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Not that I am a fan of Peterson, but that image floating around was during a time in his life when his wife was diagnosed with cancer and he was going through a significant depressed period.
So you're saying that "cleaning your room" is maybe not panacea to people struggling with mental health? Curious.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 04:23 PM   #17
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
There is plenty to criticize him for... But your characterization isn't accurate. Part of the reason society is degenerating is because people are very flippant about accurately representing the facts....
He has been vocally against Transgender rights. He has refused to use peoples preferred pronouns and has put minority in quotes...

What is inaccurate about the characterization?
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:24 PM   #18
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So you're saying that "cleaning your room" is maybe not panacea to people struggling with mental health? Curious.
I'm going to guess there was probably more to Peterson's recommendations than just cleaning your room, but certainly falling into the pitfalls of depression and mental anguish are not always avoidable.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:29 PM   #19
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Spoiler!
Oh hi Tom!

Has he joined the nuthouse too? Aside from his modern political writings, I honestly really enjoyed and learned a lot from his lectures on end-times eschatology and cults as well as the Nation of Islam and the civil rights movement.

The eschatology and cults stuff perfectly explains all the crazy stuff about the return of their GEOTUS and savior Donald Trump and Q movements, etc. like their doubling down (cognitive dissonance) after failed predictions of his return to fight their final battle (armageddon) against the shadowy cabal etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 04:30 PM   #20
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I went in a *very* deep dive into Peterson during Covid and my home Reno’s. It started with name recognition, turned into really enjoying his older lectures from long before any of this free speech/opposition to Bill C-16 ####, and then a lot of his post-drama lectures.

He’s definitely fallen victim to the things he’s against, and this article is a very bad look for him.

But I will say, it’s very clear if you’ve actually listened to much of his output. Half of vitriol surrounding him is baseless (like saying he denies transgenders exist). He’s no messiah, but he’s not the looney-tunes nazi some people who catch sound bites would have anyone believe.