Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #4461
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't worry too much about the ice buildup. Not ideal, but those pipes were pulling in huge volumes of -30* air constantly, so they're going to be cold and so condensation from your nice moist indoor air is to be expected.

I've seen buildup from this last week 100x worse, looks like yours is limited to low airflow areas (where insulation is preventing air circulation), so consider yourself lucky. High-eff and -30* don't go together well it seems
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 12:58 PM   #4462
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Anyone else getting attic rain with the big temperature swing? I've seen it in a single spot (small wet spot on the ceiling) every few years when we have weather like this, and wonder how worthwhile it is to do anything.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:15 PM   #4463
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Anyone else getting attic rain with the big temperature swing? I've seen it in a single spot (small wet spot on the ceiling) every few years when we have weather like this, and wonder how worthwhile it is to do anything.
Notwithstanding major issues like we've seen in this thread (ie fans venting into the attic), when the temps get this cold, unless you've got a perfectly sealed house, you'll end up with some moisture up there when its this cold for this long. Its a building envelope issue.

I've got 2 power exhaust fans in the attic and good soffits and still get some condensation buildup on exposed screws, etc, on the crazy cold snaps. Its a building envelope issue, and while most new houses are well sealed, most older homes aren't (renos, new lighting, thinner vapor barriers, new fans installed, etc etc). All small gaps that will allow some transfer of warm/moist air.

Not ideal, so really comes down to mitigating it so you don't have any moisture damage (which sounds like you might be seeing) and the attic can dry itself out asap when the thaw happens so you don't have damage or mold issues.

Its best to assess the issue during the cold snap, then you can see the problem areas and potential sources of moisture. I'd still look up there to see what you can see and assess airflow situation as well (any vents, soffits clear, etc).
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 01:26 PM   #4464
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, we have attic rain. I'm trying to get some fans to put up there now. We've never had this happen before in this property but I can't recall such a sustained cold snap before here.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 08:13 PM   #4465
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, read about it issue this morning during my news binge, and then got to experience it live a few hours later.

Two spots required buckets, and had about another 4-5 spots forming the ceiling, but no drips. Popped into the neighbours unit in the fourplex and no issues over there, so we won the corner unit lottery it seems.

Hoping the swing today was a one time thing and won’t be an ongoing issue, but we’ll keep the furnace fan running overnight and monitor.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 08:38 PM   #4466
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Attic rain here, too. Small spot on our ceiling on our second floor. I can hear it though, and it's unsettling. We're thinking of getting a company in to look at our insulation this year. Anyone have recommendations? At least the spots on the ceiling are easy to get rid of.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #4467
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got attic rain as well on my 4 yr old home. Mainly around the upstairs bathroom exhaust fans that go straight out to the roof. My guess is they weren't insulated as well as they could been.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:40 PM   #4468
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Didn't get any today but had some on Jan 2. I've been religiously running the furnace fan to keep things moving and monitoring humidity in anticipation of the warm up and that seems to be doing the trick (knock on wood)

Have someone coming out Wednesday to assess ventilation + insulation. Was planning to add insulation anyways thru greener homes grant.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:47 AM   #4469
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Yeah, we have attic rain. I'm trying to get some fans to put up there now. We've never had this happen before in this property but I can't recall such a sustained cold snap before here.
Coworkers had attic rain last year too if I recall correctly. Didn't we have like a full month of sub-zero days straight from mid Jan to mid Feb last year?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:48 AM   #4470
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Didn't get any today but had some on Jan 2. I've been religiously running the furnace fan to keep things moving and monitoring humidity in anticipation of the warm up and that seems to be doing the trick (knock on wood)

Have someone coming out Wednesday to assess ventilation + insulation. Was planning to add insulation anyways thru greener homes grant.
It’s first year in a our place (2014 build), just based on how quickly the spots dried out last night when I turned on the furnace fan I wish I’d known this trick before the drips started.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:28 AM   #4471
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

What can you folks tell me about gutters and having them replaced?

The one on the front of my house is pretty beat up, and overflows in one spot about 3/4 of the way down if there's heavy rain.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:21 AM   #4472
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How painful is the Greener Homes process ?
Old 01-11-2022, 09:49 AM   #4473
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Well, I applied a year ago and I have my first inspection for that at the end of the month soooo
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 10:24 AM   #4474
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
What can you folks tell me about gutters and having them replaced?

The one on the front of my house is pretty beat up, and overflows in one spot about 3/4 of the way down if there's heavy rain.
Old data point, in 2014 I had my house (bungalow) and detached garage done. Seamless gutters and downspouts - $1350 house and $550 garage. Had them done by same outfit I had doing my roof at the same time, figured I'd get everything fixed at once. My eavestrough was pretty beat up from ice damming and my subsequent efforts to mitigate.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:28 AM   #4475
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Painful. I applied last summer and it's still awaiting approval. Earlier this morning I checked and I couldnt even log in (system error)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:33 AM   #4476
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Attic rain here, too. Small spot on our ceiling on our second floor. I can hear it though, and it's unsettling. We're thinking of getting a company in to look at our insulation this year. Anyone have recommendations? At least the spots on the ceiling are easy to get rid of.
I just had Beyond Foam come out and blow insulation into the space above my attached garage which has a furnace. It's made quite the difference. I had less than 4 inches up there and now there is 18. The cost was pretty much the same as buying R40 batts and doing it myself. No Brainer. They did a really good job and cleaned everything up when they were done. I highly recommend them.

I'm going to have them come out again to look at the house attic spaces after I get my Energy Assessment done which is scheduled for Feb 11.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:37 AM   #4477
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Painful. I applied last summer and it's still awaiting approval. Earlier this morning I checked and I couldnt even log in (system error)
I've heard a lot of stories like this but my experience was not like that. I applied in Mid November and have my evaluation scheduled for Feb. 11.

I wonder if it's dependent on the evaluation company you select?
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #4478
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
I've heard a lot of stories like this but my experience was not like that. I applied in Mid November and have my evaluation scheduled for Feb. 11.

I wonder if it's dependent on the evaluation company you select?
Possibly. I can't even log in to check which company it is.

But I did call one of the companies directly and they explained they basically rubber stamp the solar part which is good if you are looking at getting solar. He said the report highlights areas of potential improvement/savings and solar is something that will generate immediate savings for a home that doesn't have it (so long as it can be installed in that home, size is correct etc)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 02:52 PM   #4479
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just curious who you called to do the assess the ventilation + how old your house is. I was getting quoted $500 for just the attic inspection on the phone, 10-15K minimum if they needed remove the old insulation/vapor barrier and add spray foam.

Not sure if its worth it in my home yet. I forgot to run the ventilation fan a lot of the time this cold snap.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 02:57 PM   #4480
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well i've got a doozy on my hands.

Our Master ensuite has been under renovation for almost a year, due to kids, work etc, just havent had time to get at it. I made a point of sealing as much of the vapour barrier as I could before winter, but this cold snap really did it. There must have been enough leakage. I'd say 60 percent of the roof sheathing is wet and the trusses as well. No wet spots on the finished parts of the house, but in the bathroom under construction there were quite a few pools of water on the ceiling vapour barrier. So then out of curiosity, I cut into the wall vapour barrier and pulled out the insulation and the exterior sheathing is soaking wet.

Anybody recommend a contractor or proffessional to come have a look? This is out of my wheelhouse, so I need someone to have a look to see what I'm dealing with.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote