Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #41
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
What's wrong with me that I knew what it was about at age 11 in 1977?
My first memory of it was younger then that, maybe 7-8 and I thought he was watching the game, and never questioned it since haha

I don’t see images in my head either. I don’t dream or I guess i don’t really remember dreams.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #42
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
the iPhone has a PDF scanner/builder allowing for single page or multiple page PDFs.

>Scan a document
>Open a note or create a new note.
>Tap , then tap Scan Documents.
>Place your document in view of the camera on your device.
>If your device is in Auto mode, your document will be automatically scanned. If you need to manually capture a scan, tap or one of the Volume buttons.
>Drag the corners to adjust the scan to fit the page, then tap Keep Scan.
>You can add additional scans to the document or tap Save when you're done.

Wow, game changer for entering expenses.
This sound advanced, so that’s cool. But On any iPhone, you can “share” any photo to “Books” (built in app) and it saves as a PDF. Alternatively you can “print” any photo to PDF.

I’ve been doing this for years, and have been surprised by the amount of people at work sharing “PDF Scanning apps for iPhone” When you don’t have to download anything at all.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #43
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This sound advanced, so that’s cool. But On any iPhone, you can “share” any photo to “Books” (built in app) and it saves as a PDF. Alternatively you can “print” any photo to PDF.

I’ve been doing this for years, and have been surprised by the amount of people at work sharing “PDF Scanning apps for iPhone” When you don’t have to download anything at all.
It is totally easy actually and I am a hardcore Luddite.

Notes comes with every iPhone.

Give it a go, it is great.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #44
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
It is totally easy actually and I am a hardcore Luddite.

Notes comes with every iPhone.

Give it a go, it is great.
Yeah that’s a way better way, thanks for sharing. So there are three ways and people are still downloading data mining “free” apps!
Old 08-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #45
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Paul McCartney says ‘f’ing hell’ in Hey Jude.

Apparently he misplayed something in the piano, and a mic picked the cussing.

It’s at 2:58, buried in the mix.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #46
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Unreal!
Old 08-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #47
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

According to the sound engineer, it was actually Lennon! He did it because the volume in his headset was too loud (he also says "oh!" or "whoa!" right before that).
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #48
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Interesting. Wikipedia for Hey Jude says
Quote:
In the song's final bridge section, at 2:58, the spoken phrase "####ing hell!" appears, uttered by Lennon. Scott admits that although he was told about it, he could not hear the words originally. Malcolm Toft, the mix engineer on the Trident recording, recalled that Lennon was overdubbing his harmony vocal when, in reaction to the volume being too loud in his headphones, he first called out "Whoa!" then, two seconds later, swore as he pulled the headphones off.
Then there is another account here that claims it was Paul
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...o-famous-songs

Quote:
About halfway through "Hey Jude," there seems to be a "whoa" sound followed by somebody saying "####ing hell." Geoff Emerick, The Beatles' longtime sound engineer, wrote in his memoir Here, There, and Everywhere that it was Paul McCartney reacting to a botched note. Emerick claims that John Lennon insisted they leave the swear buried in the final mix. "Paul hit a clunker on the piano and said a naughty word," Lennon said. "Most people won't ever spot it ... but we'll know it's there."
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #49
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
This question would interest me the most. I have a very vivid imagination and memory. I can picture things very clearly. On the flip side... I have horrifying dreams. Always have. It’s the main reason I smoke a lot of weed, no more dreams for me. They are the furthest thing from enjoyable or relaxing for me, and have always impacted my sleep.
Same with me and dreams. Except weed has never helped me sleep so it’s a trade off. Bad dreams frequently or going to bed late with the munchies and wake up feeling groggy but no bad dreams.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #50
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Same with me and dreams. Except weed has never helped me sleep so it’s a trade off. Bad dreams frequently or going to bed late with the munchies and wake up feeling groggy but no bad dreams.
Oh interesting. I’m sure it isn’t good for my cycle but I have no problem going to sleep when I smoke my bedtime indica.

I looked into “lucid dreaming” to try and combat the constant waves of nightmares and vividly detailed sad/horrible dreams... but (jumping back to the thread topic) I recently learned about Old Hag Syndrome and I will now never go down the road into lucid dreaming.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #51
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just learned that every decision I make is likely to be statistically the wrong decision, unless I change my mind.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #52
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I just learned that every decision I make is likely to be statistically the wrong decision, unless I change my mind.

That's only true if someone externally eliminates one of the wrong options after your first selection.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #53
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Go on...
So I compiled this recipe from various sources, to the point I think I'm probably justified in calling it my own.

Slice/pound chicken breasts until desired thickness, I usually go about 3/4 inch.

Soak in dill pickle juice. Cook sous vide for 2 hours at 63 degrees C.

Then comes the deep frying. I do a double layer of battering. Dip once in the wet, then the dry, then the wet, then the dry again, then into the fryer. It's already cooked, so you're just crisping up the batter. 90 seconds in 375 degree F oil is usually about right, but I do it by look - once the batter is golden brown its time to come out.

Wet Batter:
1.5 cups buttermilk
1/2 small onion chopped small
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Dry Batter
2 cups flour
1.5 cups corn starch
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ancho chili pepper

**This produces a mild yet slightly smoky flavour. For more heat, you can add more cayenne to the batter. More Ancho will add more smokeyness. You can also add franks red hot or similar to the wet batter. If you do this, you may want to substitute regular milk for buttermilk, as there is acid in the hot sauce and the buttermilk.

Serve with garlic aioli, dill pickles, and shredded lettuce. I have not experimented with bacon, but I think that would be good. I'm skeptical about adding tomato.

I usually trim the chicken breasts and then flatten them with a mallet, and use the extra pieces to make home made chicken nuggets for my kids with the same batter. But because of the sous vide step the breast doesn't need to be equally thick to cook evenly, so you could skip this step.

If you don't think this is the best chicken sandwich ever, then either I'm very interested in hearing what you think is better or you made a mistake somewhere
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #54
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Oh interesting. I’m sure it isn’t good for my cycle but I have no problem going to sleep when I smoke my bedtime indica.

I looked into “lucid dreaming” to try and combat the constant waves of nightmares and vividly detailed sad/horrible dreams... but (jumping back to the thread topic) I recently learned about Old Hag Syndrome and I will now never go down the road into lucid dreaming.
I have spent so much time and money trying diff strains only to realize 90% of all cannabis, regardless of consumption method even, affects me the same way.

Also neat is the threshold, my dreams stop with only semi regular use. Like once a week smoking is enough to keep my dreaming from happening.

Thankfully I think the frequency of my bad dreams is tied to general mood and that’s been good for quite a while. So I don’t really smoke weed for that specific purpose anymore.

However I cannot recall having had a good dream of any kind in quite some time. It’s either bad or nothing. It used to be super annoying because I love sleep.

Either way, weed had a nice side effect and that was helping get rid of dreams when they were an issue.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #55
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Do you "see" scenes when you dream?
No, at most there will be a momentary flash of fuzzy imagery. All the other senses are present, though, especially sound - I'll have dreams where music plays, some of which is original and not a replay of something I've heard, but more often snippets of songs mushed together in no rational structure.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #56
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
That's only true if someone externally eliminates one of the wrong options after your first selection.
And all decisions have an equal opportunity of being wrong.

And you are operating on no information about the right decision !

Last edited by Jason14h; 08-19-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #57
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The inventor of the IQ test, a french dude named Alfred Binet actually developed it to identify children who were not learning from the Paris Public Schools so that they could work to develop a program that they would learn from. It wasnt designed to measure unchanged intelligence but learning capability which was the complete opposite of what I thought.
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrButtons For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 12:30 AM   #58
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

My 10 year old son wanted to learn how to cube. Instead of buying him one, I bought both of us one.

He was disappointed when I solved mine without a tutorial before he did.

He is significantly faster than me, however.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:52 PM   #59
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I learned (maybe) that if you are a domestic abuse victim you can call 911 and order a pizza and they will help you out and send the police. Is this true? Paging WhiteTiger.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #60
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I learned that I like gardening. It will sound nuts to people, but I had a major mental block with gardening. Having a mental block about it might make sense to someone who was raised in a very abusive home, like I was. My parents planted a huge garden, every place we lived. If it wasn't weeded 100% exactly right, it would/could result in a verbal barrage of abuse, a slap or a beating/#### kicking. The same was true if we didn't pick things exactly right or get every last pea off the vine, for example. It didn't matter that we were little kids that didn't know a cucumber vine from a bean plant or how to pick anything, we got the crap end of the stick from our parents.

I left home at 18, just into my 50s now, and this is the first veggie garden I have ever tried. I planted the garden, then became paralyzed with inaction because I couldn't bring myself to weed if I wasn't weeding it bare of every little piece of green that wasn't supposed to be there. It took some help from my husband, to get past the weeding issue, which, as I said, probably sounds ridiculous to some people, but I got there.

I was careful to plant only 1 thing that grows on a vine (cucumbers) because the idea of peas/beans/other vine items unnerves me quite a lot, and I started very very small with the rest - only 6 potato plants (1 died), 6 green onions, 6 heads of lettuce (only 3 ever grew), 2 cucumber plants, 1 green pepper plant, 6 tomato plants (only 3 grew) of one variety, dill, chives & parsley. I bought 1 well established tomato plant (different variety) when it looked like the ones I started from seed, weren't going to do anything.

I have enjoyed watching things grow and am constantly amazed that anything happens. I don't really have an idea of what I'm doing, I just threw seeds in pots & in a small garden bed and waited to see what would happen. Now I want to turn my entire backyard into a garden, LOL, which won't happen because I don't know how to can & I don't have any cold storage or even enough storage to put up vegetables and I don't want to waste things.

So, I learned to garden this year and I guess I also learned I could get past another part of my abusive childhood/youth, to find enjoyment in something I never would have expected to find enjoyment in.

Last edited by Minnie; 08-20-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post: