Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #181
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Cecil of the House Terwilliger, the First of His Name, The Unburnt, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, King of Meereen, Khal of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lord Regnant of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Father of Dragons.
King Aragorn has you beat:

Quote:
Men of Gondor, hear now the Steward of this Realm! Behold! One has come to claim the kingship again at last. Here is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, chieftain of the Dúnedain of Arnor, Captain of the Host of the West, bearer of the Star of the North, wielder of the Sword Reforged, victorious in battle, whose hands bring healing, the Elfstone, Elessar of the line of Valandil, Isildur's son, Elendil's son of Numenor. Shall he be king and enter into the City and dwell there?" And all the host and all the people cried yea with one voice.
Gawd I love that part in the book.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #182
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Why would anyone order a cake celebrating an abortion?

If you don’t know you need to get new friends and go to better parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #183
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Yeah, we should just go back to the good old days when instead of trying to help people we just ignore them while they kill themselves.

Better do some research. Suicide amongst transgender people is the same for both pre and post surgery. So by "helping" them we haven't really "helped" them.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #184
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Would they really bake a cake celebrating a murder though? That's the real comparison here.
I see your point, but what about a "get out of jail cake"? If you want to start getting into specifics then we can. I imagine a "divorce finalized cake" isn't too big a stretch, probably some people have celebrated their divorce. Would they bake a cake for that? Probably, at least I think so.

I still think it comes down to using religion as a convenient excuse to discriminate.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #185
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow this thread is all over the map. I fully support any transgender individual in a social setting but the reality is there are biological differences between men and women that go deeper than hormones and surgery.

When a transgender female MMA fighter gives his biological female opponent a concussion, broken orbital bone, and she requires 7 staples in her head, after a single round, the competitive side becomes broken.

When a transgender female high-school athlete crushes 40 year old records with ease, the competitive side becomes broken.

When a transgender weightlifter breaks decade old records and beats her biologically female competition by over 45lbs, the competitive side is broken.

There are countless examples, and I'm all for social rights, but there was a reason for separation in a competitive athletic setting and social progression shouldn't break that.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #186
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Would they really bake a cake celebrating a murder though? That's the real comparison here.
Just to add: Murder as a sin is pretty clear in the bible. It made the top 10. Along with *even* thinking about your neighbour's wife. Gay marriage? Not so much. So again, I think it's an interpretation of convenience and religion is being used as an excuse.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #187
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering that from an outside perspective, it's all a bunch of nonsense that someone made up at some point or other, it seems odd to say that parts of it should be protected because they represent long-standing nonsense. Either you think peoples' religious convictions should be protected or you don't. Suggesting that some deserve protection while others should be discarded as "interpretations of convenience" seems pretty arbitrary to me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #188
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Trying to skim this thread to get the gist....I picked up on a new word "transphobe", saw debate about cake at abortions, and the terms "midget boys" and a "dick move" thrown about.
Summed the entire thread up perfectly.
Should have read this and closed thread. Would have saved 30 minutes and been less confused.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #189
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Just to add: Murder as a sin is pretty clear in the bible. It made the top 10. Along with *even* thinking about your neighbour's wife. Gay marriage? Not so much. So again, I think it's an interpretation of convenience and religion is being used as an excuse.
I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with a Superbowl Sunday cake either. That's a top 10 sin too.
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #190
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
I think it is ridiculous. Everybody nowadays wants to have their cake and eat it too. It is sick how society and mainstream media are enabling a mental disorder called gender dysphoria. I don't give a flying #### if this is not PC enough. I believe in science not feelings.
So when they remove gender dysphoria from the diagnostic manual in the next edition will your opinIon change

And

Given that the current best practice treatment is for people to live as the gender they want to shouldn't you be supportive of people transitioning since you believe in science?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #191
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Wow this thread is all over the map. I fully support any transgender individual in a social setting but the reality is there are biological differences between men and women that go deeper than hormones and surgery.

When a transgender female MMA fighter gives his biological female opponent a concussion, broken orbital bone, and she requires 7 staples in her head, after a single round, the competitive side becomes broken.

When a transgender female high-school athlete crushes 40 year old records with ease, the competitive side becomes broken.

When a transgender weightlifter breaks decade old records and beats her biologically female competition by over 45lbs, the competitive side is broken.

There are countless examples, and I'm all for social rights, but there was a reason for separation in a competitive athletic setting and social progression shouldn't break that.
I think you change the biologically female to a maximum hormone level you solve most of the issue. If you look at the South African Runner who may or may not be transgendered or just born with both organsher times dropped significantly when under hormone therapy required to compete. Then the IIAF lost lose suits around those hormone requirements allowing people to compete without taking hormone surpressing testosterone.

So I think the competitive side can be dealt with at the risk of excluding some biologically female athletes who happen to have testosterone levels above the limit.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #192
Zapruder
Draft Pick

Insane this is even an idea. Boys are built differently than girls, this is a fact. If boys get to start playing with girls, girls will get injured as a result, simple as that. A prospective player having delusions or mental issues doesn't change that.

Last edited by Zapruder; 01-11-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #193
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can we get the vegas odds on this team lighting it up?

I wish herm good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #194
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Socially, there is no line.
There has to be a line somewhere when it comes to sports. I don't know where that line is.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #195
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Can we get the vegas odds on this team lighting it up?

I wish herm good luck.
The player isn't all that great in this case...which will make it far more acceptable for some reason lol
Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #196
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Socially, there is no line.
There has to be a line somewhere when it comes to sports. I don't know where that line is.
People who've experienced male puberty or intersex people should not be allowed to compete with women. Seems like a pretty reasonable line to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #197
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think you change the biologically female to a maximum hormone level you solve most of the issue. If you look at the South African Runner who may or may not be transgendered or just born with both organsher times dropped significantly when under hormone therapy required to compete. Then the IIAF lost lose suits around those hormone requirements allowing people to compete without taking hormone surpressing testosterone.

So I think the competitive side can be dealt with at the risk of excluding some biologically female athletes who happen to have testosterone levels above the limit.
While I admire the concept, hormone levels are far from the only biological difference in an athletic environment (there are plenty of articles that speak to it more eloquently than I could). And that means we get rid of men's and women's competition and replace them with "above hormone level X" and "below hormone level X". I'm out. That's absurd.

"We are proud to introduce the 2020 Under X Hormone Olympic boxing champion!" No chance.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #198
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
I think it is ridiculous. Everybody nowadays wants to have their cake and eat it too. It is sick how society and mainstream media are enabling a mental disorder called gender dysphoria. I don't give a flying #### if this is not PC enough. I believe in science not feelings.
So the leading doctor's in the field aren't enough for you? Or is your opinion, something anyone can have, going to trump years of research on the subject. This is the actual problem in the world.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #199
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
People who've experienced male puberty or intersex people should not be allowed to compete with women. Seems like a pretty reasonable line to me.
Seems very reasonable to me also.
Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread