Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #141
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Van Vleet is really the perfect summation of this Raptors team and many of the players on it. Just working hard to get better every single day, every game, every year. And really, doesn't Casey deserve a lot of credit for that? No, he's not a perfect coach and he deserves the criticism he's gotten in the past, but at the same time we've probably been too harsh on him. The players on this team continue to get better (I honestly think they have the best bench in the East, possibly the league), and as long as that continues he absolutely should not be fired. If this were before LeBron started the superteam era, this team would absolutely win a ring and he'd be considered a great coach. Much like DeMar, I think we don't appreciate him enough. It will always come down to the playoffs, but this is the best Raptors team ever, so we should still try and enjoy it while we can, who knows when we'll see a better one again.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 01-11-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #142
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Finally!

What a great sports night!
True and unexpected. At least the Flames had been going in the right direction but still the scoreline? No Lowry and no Ibaka and they blowout the Cavs? So weird. JV in beast mode on the boards. Third string PG to the rescue.

Sweet and yeah about time. My teams have been frustrating me lately. About time they surprised me!
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #143
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wish I didn’t miss this. Man I hate Cleveland.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #144
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hell of a start to the fourth to get back into this. Do they have enough to finish the comeback?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #145
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Wow, I checked the score earlier and they were down by almost 30. They lost by 2?

Fantastic comeback.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #146
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, so frustrating they couldn't quite get over the hump on the comeback. Better clutch shot-making was the difference for GS down the stretch, but I would have liked to have seen some plays drawn up to get some penetration into the paint late in the game. Should be a confidence-builder regardless, especially for the young guys.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:31 AM   #147
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Ah, so frustrating they couldn't quite get over the hump on the comeback. Better clutch shot-making was the difference for GS down the stretch, but I would have liked to have seen some plays drawn up to get some penetration into the paint late in the game. Should be a confidence-builder regardless, especially for the young guys.
I don't know that either game should be a confidence builder unless you have that caveat about the young guys. Cavs win was fun but meaningless. We all know the Cavs go through this every year and will still own as soon as the games count.

The Warriors owned the Raptors and then classic mistake / fell asleep and couldn't get it turned back on.

I mean full credit to the Raps big men in that Cavs game. JV and Purtle just owned them. Wright looked good.

Nice job by JV again vrs the Warriors and the young guys were again the catalyst.

Both games good for the young guys confidence. For down the road this year is awesome.

But both games I was hoping to see IF they could really contend with our best vrs their best in two knock down drag em out affairs. More like playoff games where the bench is shortened bigtime. Jury still out. They are still very impressive against the putz teams and not so much against the better ones.

I like a lot of things about this year's team but when I think about it most of it is about bench players. Even in the new ball movement system, which is great, the bench does it better than the starters. The defense is so much better when the bench is in.

Are they actually going to play the bench as much as they do now in the playoffs?
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St. Pats For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #148
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lauri Markkanen hit 100 3-pt FG faster than anyone in NBA history. This NBA rookie class has some serious ballers.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 PM   #149
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what the heck happened between the Rockets and Clippers?

http://twitter.com/wojespn/status/953153110356017152
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 PM   #150
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what the heck happened between the Rockets and Clippers?

http://twitter.com/wojespn/status/953153110356017152
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:19 AM   #151
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol this is so ridiculous. Even Vince thinks this is a bit much.

Quote:
In the aftermath of a cantankerous loss to the LA Clippers, Houston Rockets forward Trevor Ariza and stars Chris Paul and James Harden marched through a back corridor and into the Clippers' locker room late Monday night, suggesting that they wanted to confront Clippers players Austin Rivers and Blake Griffin, league sources told ESPN.

Rockets guard Gerald Green joined Ariza, Paul and Harden through the connecting hallway and breached the entrance of the home team's locker room.

Stunned Clippers players, celebrating a 113-102 victory, leaped to their feet upon the realization that four seething Rockets players had come calling for them, sources told ESPN.

For a few fleeting moments, several Clippers dared the Rockets to come farther into the room, sources said. Security and team officials soon converged on the Rockets, pushing them out the door and back toward the visiting locker room, sources said. Ariza was described as the first one through the door, with Paul lingering in the back, witnesses told ESPN.

"It was classic NBA," one Clipper witness told ESPN. "None of these guys were going to fight."
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...rs-locker-room
Old 01-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #152
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anthony Davis is good at the sport of basketball.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #153
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What the **** is Minnesota wearing?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #154
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

All NBA players are now required to wear bike shorts under their uniforms in case Draymond Green pulls their pants off. Yeah, he really tried to do that to James Harden.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #155
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
What the **** is Minnesota wearing?
*Statement' edition uniforms*
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nba....ition-uniforms

Old 01-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #156
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

First in the east is definitely there for the Raptors taking: Boston has lost 3 in a row, is about to head out on a 4 game roadtrip, and have an absolutely brutal road stretch awaiting them in March (11-15 on the road, with almost all of those road games outside their time zone). Cleveland has lost 9 of their last 12, and still have two 3 game road-trips and a 6 gamer. They'll get some free agent signing that will help them out before the deadline, but they're way back of the pace they need to be to finish 1st. Just between now and the allstar break, they've got road games in SA, Boston, OKC, plus home games against Miami, Houston and Minnesota.

Toronto's got by far the easiest schedule remaining of those 3, and it may be a long time for the east to be as winnable as it is this year. But it makes a tough choice about whether they should make trades; they've got a couple glaring weaknesses, particularly rebounding support after JV, and 3-point consistency. The roster as composed should be enough to win the conference and maybe even go on a deep playoff run, but obviously isn't going to hold a candle to GSW, or a 'hitting on all cylinders' Cleveland. But there probably isn't an upgrade out there that really moves the needle against an elite team. Is it worth trading some of the promising bench for a playoff rental? Or better to hold onto the current rotation?
Old 01-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #157
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s about time that the Bucks fired Jason Kidd. With all the talent Milwaukee has, they should be a top team in the East.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #158
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
It’s about time that the Bucks fired Jason Kidd. With all the talent Milwaukee has, they should be a top team in the East.
They shoot a weirdly low volume of 3s and that's on coaching, and their scramble defense can catch teams off-guard but it's not actually that good. They should be better than they are, but they're undersized overall and not a great shooting team. Giannis is a superstar and Parker's been injured, but beyond that their roster is a bunch of specialty guys who don't really fit. A couple lanky centers, some creative but poor-shooting guards, some 3-and-D guys who don't shoot or defend at an elite level. Their best pieces don't really fit on the floor together that well.

I'm actually surprised they didn't let Parker come back (supposed to be around all-star break) and see how much of a lift he gives the team, but that suggests to me that they were really not happy with Kidd and wanted him gone.

Apparently Kidd and Giannis were really close and Giannis is pissed right now.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #159
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
What's the point? They aren't beating Golden State, continue to build and keep your Unicorn happy. This is a solid way for him to want to leave when he's a FA.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #160
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy ####! DeMarcus Cousins had 44 pts, 24 rebs & 10 asts in 2OT win vs Bulls, becoming the first player since Wilt Chamberlain in 1968 (!!!) with a 40-20-10 game.

He joins Wilt Chamberlain (6), Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (1), Elgin Baylor (1), Oscar Robertson (1), as the others to have a 40-20-10 game.

Last edited by Drake; 01-22-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Tags
fire them all , i'm better than ibaka , kawhi so serious? , lebronto , time to go nuclear