Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #41
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This is false narrative. Kaepernick isn't a solution for any team. The 49ers went 1-10 behind him last season, 2-6 behind him in 2015 and 8-8 in 2014. He's a backup caliber QB and that's not going to help the Broncos in the AFC West. NFL owners aren't cowards as they are treating Kaepernick the same as Tebow in that no team wants their backup QB to be a distraction. Add in the fact that it would infuriate a percentage of season ticket holders and there's simply not much upside to bringing him in as he's not good enough to lead a team to a winning record.
I'm not saying Kaep is the cream of the crop but Tom Brady couldn't have gotten more wins out of those putrid Niners teams. Kaep is a better starter than any of the garbage QBs the Jets, Bears, and Browns will trot out this year, and he'd likely be the best backup QB in the league. The comparison to Tebow is ludicrous.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'm not saying Kaep is the cream of the crop but Tom Brady couldn't have gotten more wins out of those putrid Niners teams. Kaep is a better starter than any of the garbage QBs the Jets, Bears, and Browns will trot out this year, and he'd likely be the best backup QB in the league. The comparison to Tebow is ludicrous.
Ludicrous is saying he would be the best backup in the league. I think you like some others still think he's the guy that came out on fire before teams adjusted to the read option play. He's not that guy anymore and hasn't been good for years. He's not better than Brian Hoyer (he's a backup essentially place holder until they can sign Cousins), Matt Moore, Jimmy Garoppolo, AJ McCarron, Tervor Siemian (he's starting but backup caliber) and IMO he's lumped in with guys like Drew Stanton, Nick Foles, Matt Schaub, etc that can all come in and perform to an equivalent level and are interchangeable.

The Jets want to pick first overall and have no interest in competing so why bring in Kaepernick with all the distractions they will already have in a bad team? The Browns are in a similar situation where they are rebuilding and also have eyes on the 2018 draft. Mike Glennon received a lot of money from the Bears and I believe most teams would consider him a better prospect than Kaepernick.

Let's not forget RG3 is also currently unsigned so it's pretty clear teams don't want controversial figures as their backup QB's. The guys isn't very good and teams simply don't feel his abilities warrant the baggage that comes with him. In addition to his protests he did wear pig socks at practice and as well wear a Fidel Castro T-shirt so he's not exactly done himself any favors in addition to being a mediocre QB. You call the owners cowards for not signing them and I call them smart there's just not enough upsides to brining him in. I can understand a person like you being sympathetic to his cause but he's not a person you should be sympathetic to as he's a grown man that made his decisions and some of them not very good to which he has to live with.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-10-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #43
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ludicrous is saying he would be the best backup in the league. I think you like some others still think he's the guy that came out on fire before teams adjusted to the read option play. He's not that guy anymore and hasn't been good for years. He's not better than Brian Hoyer (he's a backup essentially place holder until they can sign Cousins), Matt Moore, Jimmy Garoppolo, AJ McCarron, Tervor Siemian (he's starting but backup caliber) and IMO he's lumped in with guys like Drew Stanton, Nick Foles, Matt Schaub, etc that can all come in and perform to an equivalent level and are interchangeable.
I think Kaep has proven more outside of any of those guys you've mentioned, and the only one with more upside is probably Garoppolo. I watched some of those Niners games that he started last year and he was pretty clearly a guy stuck in a bad situation with a stubborn egomaniac for a head coach.

Quote:
Let's not forget RG3 is also currently unsigned so it's pretty clear teams don't want controversial figures as their backup QB's. The guys isn't very good and teams simply don't feel his abilities warrant the baggage that comes with him. In addition to his protests he did wear pig socks at practice and as well wear a Fidel Castro T-shirt so he's not exactly done himself any favors in addition to being a mediocre QB. You call the owners cowards for not signing them and I call them smart there's just not enough upsides to brining him in. I can understand a person like you being sympathetic to his cause but he's not a person you should be sympathetic to as he's a grown man that made his decisions and some of them not very good to which he has to live with.
I'm not buying it. We've seen teams give multiple second chances to less talented players with DUIs and domestic violence charges on their records, or players who've been suspended for violating the league's substance abuse policy multiple times, things that are far worse than politically-charged fashion choices.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #44
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott gets a 6 game suspension.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #45
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Wow. That really hurts the Cowboys. I feel Prescott really benefitted from teams having to pay a lot of attention to the run and he's going to have to do more heavy lifting. Teams now have ample film on him so I expect a down season for the Cowboys compared to last season. I have no problem with the length as it's good to see leagues treat domestic violence more seriously.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #46
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/stat...51326638936065

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/stat...51387192066049
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #47
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So that first Schefter tweet should read Watkins to the Rams. Not surprised to see Matthews traded for a corner. Eagles weren't likely to re-sign him after this year so it's good asset management to shore up the weakest part of the roster.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #48
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Wow. That really hurts the Cowboys. I feel Prescott really benefitted from teams having to pay a lot of attention to the run and he's going to have to do more heavy lifting. Teams now have ample film on him so I expect a down season for the Cowboys compared to last season. I have no problem with the length as it's good to see leagues treat domestic violence more seriously.
The Cowboys still have an outstanding line and two quality backs that can step up in the short term. Will be interesting to see how Prescott makes out though as I do tend to agree with what you said to some degree. A QB's life is always easier with a solid running game.

Bills with a couple of trades. Darby to the Eagles for Matthews and Watkins to the Rams for Gaines and 2nd.

As an Eagles fan I like the move to get a decent, starting caliber young corner. Matthews was not coming back after this year so it makes sense.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #49
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the move for both Buffalo and Philly getting value for guys they obviously weren't bringing back. Watkins likely suffers a season ender getting off the plane in LA given his fragility, so to get anything of value is very well done.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #50
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I like the move for both Buffalo and Philly getting value for guys they obviously weren't bringing back. Watkins likely suffers a season ender getting off the plane in LA given his fragility, so to get anything of value is very well done.
Buffalo also gets a 3rd in the Matthews trade so I think they've done well today. Gives them ammo to move up in the draft next year and take a QB.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #51
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

DeShone Kizer shows off big arm in 20-14 come-from-behind victory over Saints

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/

The two big plays drew oohs and aahs from the crowd and are a major reason why Jackson will continue to try to get his raw rookie ready to play sooner than later. He completed 11 of 18 attempts for 184 yards, with one TD and no interceptions for a 114.1 rating.

Kizer, who played the entire second half after Brock Osweiler and Cody Kessler split the first, struggled in other facets of the game, taking three sacks, misfiring on a few throws and struggling to spit out some plays.

Osweiler had an opportunity to seize the moment and stake his claim to the opening day start against the Steelers, and it didn't happen.

Kessler didn't make a strong case to earn a start in his three series of work in the second quarter.

Reason for hope in the Factory of Sadness?

Last edited by troutman; 08-11-2017 at 11:27 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #52
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obligatory/yearly reminder of the stunning irrelevance of preseason: 2008 Detroit Lions preseason record was 4-0, regular season record was....you know.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #53
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Obligatory/yearly reminder of the stunning irrelevance of preseason: 2008 Detroit Lions preseason record was 4-0, regular season record was....you know.
Also here's the list of Notre Dame QBs drafted since 1980. Not exactly a QB factory.

Quote:
Jimmy Clausen
Brady Quinn
Jarious Jackson
Rick Mirer
Steve Beuerlein
Blair Kiel
Rusty Lisch
Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #54
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks Captain Obvious Buzzkill.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #55
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

You cheer for the Patriots because the Browns suck so much lol. You aren't seriously getting even 1% hyped over preseason are you?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #56
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
You cheer for the Patriots because the Browns suck so much lol. You aren't seriously getting even 1% hyped over preseason are you?
Patriots were always my first love going back to the late 1970s. I developed a fondness for the Browns too around 1980 (Cardiac Kids).

The NFL should be fun - why take it "seriously"?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #57
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly. The Browns are terrible, Notre Dame QBs not named Montana suck. All in good fun.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #58
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very disappointed in Elliott. The best case scenario would be if Morris and McFadden step their game up.
the games he will miss are against:
Giants
Broncos
Cardinals
Rams
Packers
49ers

There are certainly a few loses in that bunch. I will be happy if the Cowboys can go 3-3.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #59
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Prosecutors couldn't find enough evidence but the NFL investigators found enough?

Suspending a guy for 6 games on just accusations and limited evidence is a slippery slope IMO.

Especially when the investigation took place almost a full year after the incidents, for incidents that potentially occurred before he had even played an NFL snap.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-11-2017 at 12:08 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #60
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Tyrod must be pissed. Takes a 10 mil paycut to stay and they trade his #1 receiver a month before the season? Brutal by the Bills organisation.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote