Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #201
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Can't base this on anything but I got that feeling too. My random thought is that Burke wanted a 1st from the Ducks (who have two) and they wouldn't budge, neither would Burke and a deal fell through.
This is my thinking. Obviously from the returns of the other two deals you get the sense that sense that Burke is a tougher negotiator. I tend to agree that they just ran out of time.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #202
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problem with Cammy is that he shows up for is contract year, but becomes disappointing for all the years in between. And being a small player and having injuries this season don't help.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #203
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I heard on twitter that Lou's fax machine broke as he was sending the paperwork for Larsson. Tough break.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #204
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure I agree with posters saying Cammy had no value. I'd say Gaborik is a very similar comparable, and he at least returned a 2nd and a meh player. Gaborik is making more, and has either been hurt or not playing well most of the year. There's just no way Cammalleri's value was not around his. Burke was likely asking for too much as Duhatschek reported, and ended up miscalculating the timing of the situation.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #205
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't care how anyone spins this but not moving Cammy is an epic fail on Burkes part. He was one of the pieces that he should have been able to move to provide another piece to our rebuild, now he walks for nothing. When did nothing become more valuable to this club than getting something, have we really set our sights that low.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #206
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Problem with Cammy is that he shows up for is contract year, but becomes disappointing for all the years in between. And being a small player and having injuries this season don't help.
What do you mean? This is a contract year, and he has no showed for the majority of it.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #207
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
My expectations were that Cammellari would either receive an extension (as Burke had discussed over the past couple weeks) or be traded for market value. I don't think either expectation was unreasonable.
As reasonable possibilities, sure. As expectations, yes it is unreasonable, because there are far more factors at play than simply Burke's actions. Burke can't sign him if he doesn't decide to. Burke can't trade him if no one wants to take him.

Also unreasonable because there might be other ways to look at it that we aren't considering, including having to meet the salary floor. If it's a choice between a sixth round pick vs. signing him to get to the floor (and since Cammy seems to like the city), then maybe that's the decision that a sixth is worth having the chance in keeping a known guy on a less than great contract to get to the floor rather than having to bring in a guy that is an unknown on a less than great contract.

Quote:
I think even those who are defending the lack of movement or shrugging it off would likely admit that the current scenario would have been their "worst case" scenario.
Sure, in my mind not trading Cammy is probably the worst case scenario for today, but not yet the worst case scenario in terms of asset management because it hasn't played out yet.

And given our other moves today, the possibility that there just wasn't a deal to be made at least deserves consideration rather than just going with the assumptions.

Quote:
I guess, simply, I don't understand how Burke could have "good discussions" with Cammellari about an extension, explore the trade market and end up with nothing but risk.
I think it's pretty easy to see, since Cammy won't sign until it's right for him, not right for the Flames, and it's not unreasonable for there to be no deals despite exploring the trade market, especially in light of the other deals the Flames made.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #208
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad Burke held off on Cammy if the offers weren't right.

The Flames still need players like Cammy regardless.

I'm just glad something got done today. An extra second and third round pick will help stuff the cupboards full.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #209
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I'm not so sure about that.

1) he hasn't been anything special this year (a contract year)
2) he is always in amazing shape, even in the offseason and reportedly is one of the hardest working guys in the league

I think he just plays better when teams are keying in on other guys, leaving him open in the slot. He is an easy player to shut down, that is for sure
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #210
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Can't base this on anything but I got that feeling too. My random thought is that Burke wanted a 1st from the Ducks (who have two) and they wouldn't budge, neither would Burke and a deal fell through.
If you recall the draft where Burke picked Kadri TSN had the live conversation between him and Murray when they were discussing trading the pick and Murray wasn't giving enough in Burke's mind for the pick and asked if they were interested in Kadri to which Murray said yes, then he basically shut down Murray and said they were using the pick on him. Seems like with Burke you pay the price or no deal.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #211
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I heard on twitter that Lou's fax machine broke as he was sending the paperwork for Larsson. Tough break.
Green text? Forgive me but it's been a crazy day.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #212
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Do people actually fax anymore?
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #213
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wouldnt be surprised to see Burke ink Cammy for one year with over payment of $6MM give or take, give him redemption, retain the assets for its not all for not and try to trade him again next deadline wiht stronger performance out of Cammy. I can live with Cammy one more year, we still need some veterans

Last edited by getoverit; 03-05-2014 at 02:52 PM.
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #214
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else think that Cammy plans to re sign here in the summer

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #215
lostintokyo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Best case scenario now is he signs a one or two year deal with the Flames and we do the deadline deal next year. Could happen.
lostintokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #216
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Do people actually fax anymore?
Yes. The NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/feature/?id=37711
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #217
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With the way the market was going, and the steal Burke had lined up with Berra, there was no need to rush Cammy out for less than desired value.

I like the guy and am happy that he's staying for now. Just hope that a deal can be worked out I mainly wanted to see the Flames get some futures back this deadline and it appeared that Cammy was our only way to getting something significant. Now I'm glad that we are able to keep him and go into this draft with two 2nds and two 3rds.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #218
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
What do you mean? This is a contract year, and he has no showed for the majority of it.
He's been in and out of lineup due to injuries. Everyone's injury prone on the Flames since they're so frickin small.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #219
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope to see clammy re sign ... we do have to make it over cap floor so money not really a problem
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #220
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Call me crazy, but the fact that Burke has still not come down to meet with the media could mean another deal is still happening.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post: