Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #1701
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting news. We often have to connect people between YYC and Lethbridge for work, and any improvement on Air Canada's frequency/reliability is welcomed. I'm sure that there are a number of factors (weather, equipment, utilization, revenue), but we've had a disproportionate number of cancellations and delays from AC on YYC-YQL recently.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #1702
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also interesting given that Air Canada instructed their third tier operators like Air Georgian to remove the 'AC Express' logos from the aircraft. Apparently this is due to the fact that AC is trying to keep branding on point across the whole fleet, so aircraft without business class offerings get bumped down to this 'no logo' level.

And here WS is going the opposite way and adding their Plus seats to the Saab 340's that Pacifica Coastal will operate for them, and fully livery them too.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #1703
Hockeyguy13
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Also interesting given that Air Canada instructed their third tier operators like Air Georgian to remove the 'AC Express' logos from the aircraft. Apparently this is due to the fact that AC is trying to keep branding on point across the whole fleet, so aircraft without business class offerings get bumped down to this 'no logo' level.
That is not true. They are removing the branding only from the 1900 operation but not from all the Tier 3. Even the Georgian RJ's are keeping the branding. Neither the RJ 100/200 or Dash 8/Q400 offer business class and they are not going to "no logo level".
Hockeyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy13 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #1704
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy13 View Post
That is not true. They are removing the branding only from the 1900 operation but not from all the Tier 3. Even the Georgian RJ's are keeping the branding. Neither the RJ 100/200 or Dash 8/Q400 offer business class and they are not going to "no logo level".
Imposter!
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #1705
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

that is hilarious
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #1706
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy13 View Post
Ah, I stand corrected. Is it because the RJ's and Dash's at least have a flight attendant on board versus the 1900's not?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #1707
Hockeyguy13
Draft Pick

Quote:
Ah, I stand corrected. Is it because the RJ's and Dash's at least have a flight attendant on board versus the 1900's not?
There is nothing official but I believe it is to fit more in line with the Air Canada product, such as having no FA (like you mentioned) etc.
Hockeyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #1708
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flew WestJet up to Fort Mac and Air Canada back the other day. Is it me or is there a boatload more leg room on AC's Dash 8s than WJ's Q400s?
Frequitude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #1709
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone fly to the US super early on a Thursday recently? Just wondering when the customs is opening now and how busy it is.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:42 PM   #1710
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Anyone fly to the US super early on a Thursday recently? Just wondering when the customs is opening now and how busy it is.
I just flew a 6am flight to Florida via Houston on Nov 7, it was a Tuesday so should be similar to when you fly. We weren't sure when to arrive since it says 3 hours early recommended for US flights now. Yeah, not necessary.

Security doesn't even open their gates until 4am. US customs didn't open until 430am.

I have nexus and my folks don't. Didn't matter as there were only like 10 people in the security line up at 4am.

By the time US customs opened there were maybe 50-100 people in the regular customs line. Only about 5 in the nexus line.

I'm assuming flight schedules are pretty similar each day so you'll likely see similar traffic most mornings. I think the day we flew there were 2-3 6am flights and another 2-3 flights at 615-7am.

Anyway I'd say 2 hours is plenty.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-27-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #1711
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

American Airlines announces seasonal Chicago-Calgary service (June 7 - September 4) utilizing the Embraer 175.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #1712
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I just flew a 6am flight to Florida via Houston on Nov 7, it was a Tuesday so should be similar to when you fly.
Tuesday is the least busy day, but Thursday is busy for transborder. WestJet's busiest Vegas day is Thursday.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #1713
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Tuesday is the least busy day, but Thursday is busy for transborder. WestJet's busiest Vegas day is Thursday.
At 6am? When I looked every day has the same 6am flights.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #1714
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Acey may be referring to passengers loads, not departure frequencies.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #1715
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

If you booked a flight on American Airlines during Christmas Week this will concern you:

Sam Sweeney
@SweeneyABC
BREAKING: American Airlines says computer glitch allowed all pilots to take vacation over Christmas week. Now union says thousands of flights are in jeopardy of cancellation. Americans says they’re offering 1.5x pay for pilots to fill in and expect to resolve the issue.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #1716
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a pretty major 'oops'. It's going to cost them a ton of money one way or another.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #1717
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it just me, or has this year have planes using the E-W runways more due to the frequency of western winds?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #1718
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve noticed it on occasion too. Like this evening for instance.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #1719
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd argue since the parallel runway came online we've seen 29 and 26 used much less than before. ATC would prefer to keep traffic on the parallels for better arrival/departure rates, only switching to 29 and 26 once the crosswind component gets to limits.

Last edited by Bigtime; 11-30-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #1720
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd argue since the parallel runway came online we've seen 29 and 26 used much less than before. ATC would prefer to keep traffic on the parallels for better arrival/departure rates, only switching to 29 and 26 once the crosswind component gets to limits.
To be sure, I would agree with that. What I do find interesting is when they use 29. Typically I notice it either on weekends or evenings which seems to me to be the times of days they would prefer to avoid using it for noise abatement reasons. But then again those times are also when I tend to be in that area of Calgary and would notice 29 being used. During the day (business hours) I cannot see if they are using 29 other than I would notice a lack of activity on the parallels.

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc