Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #1641
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their bags should get quick connected... they wouldn't reclaim them after the first leg.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #1642
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

WestJet's new low-cost airline will be called "Swoop". http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rier-1.4308994

From the article:

Swoop will join other low-cost carriers in the Canadian market, including Enerjet, Jetlines and Flair Air (formerly New Leaf).

The Calgary-based airline says Swoop, headquartered in Calgary, will operate a fleet of Boeing 737-800 aircraft and provide Canadians with a "no-frills, lower-fare travel option."

"As we looked around for the home for Swoop's operations, Calgary quickly rose to the top of the list," Cummings said in the release.

"The city offers Swoop the opportunity to save costs through shared services with WestJet's corporate head office, the availability of existing infrastructure, and talented, experienced WestJetters to draw from. We are confident that these qualities will support our ultra-low-cost operations and our guests well into the future."
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #1643
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
About 11am on a Monday. The Vegas flight is a 12:45pm departure.
I don't think they should be an issue at all. Should go smooth. 6am-9:30 am is the big problem with US flights out of Calgary. The facilities could easily handle the rush, but they aren't staffed properly.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #1644
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
WestJet's new low-cost airline will be called "Swoop". http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rier-1.4308994

From the article:

Swoop will join other low-cost carriers in the Canadian market, including Enerjet, Jetlines and Flair Air (formerly New Leaf).

The Calgary-based airline says Swoop, headquartered in Calgary, will operate a fleet of Boeing 737-800 aircraft and provide Canadians with a "no-frills, lower-fare travel option."

"As we looked around for the home for Swoop's operations, Calgary quickly rose to the top of the list," Cummings said in the release.

"The city offers Swoop the opportunity to save costs through shared services with WestJet's corporate head office, the availability of existing infrastructure, and talented, experienced WestJetters to draw from. We are confident that these qualities will support our ultra-low-cost operations and our guests well into the future."
First Swoop, next Amazon!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #1645
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

We can all agree the name is atrocious but... I kinda like the paint. Thoughts?

Old 09-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #1646
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

As long as their marketing goes lowest common denominator and immediately busts out "Swoop, there it is" I'm in.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #1647
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was more thinking ...

You make me wanna Swoop
Swoop Swoop Eh Doop
Swoop Eh Doop
Swoop Eh Doop Eh Doop Eh Doop

and so on.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:14 PM   #1648
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still just can't figure out what a "no-frills" WestJet looks like. One engine? Bench seating along the sides and stand up middle section?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #1649
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I still just can't figure out what a "no-frills" WestJet looks like. One engine? Bench seating along the sides and stand up middle section?
A charge for carry on luggage, charging for water/coffee/cookies/pretzels, charging for picking a seat even at check in, charging for printing your boarding pass.

Basically imagine anything that's free now. And then just assume it costs money.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #1650
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Swoop Doggy Dogg
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #1651
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I feel like these ultra low fare companies are just shells to jack up the "regular" pricing. Flights are already stupid expensive in Canada.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #1652
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah back when Westjet came on the scene they were supposed to be "no frills". Now they're considered full-service? What the hell has happened to the Canadian airline industry? Why don't they just pack humans in boxes and store them efficiently in a freighter at this point?
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #1653
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Honestly I feel like these ultra low fare companies are just shells to jack up the "regular" pricing. Flights are already stupid expensive in Canada.
Ditto. I bet within 10 years we have a mirror of our mobile carriers. The "discount" carriers being owned by the "full service" carriers (Rogers/Fido, Bell/Virgin, etc) and being within 70-80% of the cost.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #1654
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

no bits-and-bites

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #1655
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 09-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #1656
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can see the headlines now....

"Swoop is Poop: Passengers share their nightmare after 8 hrs on tarmac!"

"Swoop Droops: Sagging passenger loads show folly of a Canadian ULCC"

"Swoop Hoops to Jump: Navigate the website to get the $49 fare advertised"

"Swoop in a Loop: Weather causes plane to drop 8,000ft in 15 seconds"

"Swoop Boop: Flight attendant accuses passenger of inappropriate touching"

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 09-27-2017 at 10:26 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 07:08 AM   #1657
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
A charge for carry on luggage, charging for water/coffee/cookies/pretzels, charging for picking a seat even at check in, charging for printing your boarding pass.

Basically imagine anything that's free now. And then just assume it costs money.
But wait! There's more! Paying for all the extras outside of the seat while buying online? Check.

Show up at the airport and need to purchase other items due to last minute changes? Say you have another bag? It will probably cost MORE than what you would have paid online at the time of booking. So let's say a checked bag is $25 online. You might pay $50 for that bag if you do it at the airport day of departure.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #1658
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
But wait! There's more! Paying for all the extras outside of the seat while buying online? Check.

Show up at the airport and need to purchase other items due to last minute changes? Say you have another bag? It will probably cost MORE than what you would have paid online at the time of booking. So let's say a checked bag is $25 online. You might pay $50 for that bag if you do it at the airport day of departure.
It's no different than Ryanair. The fares are low, as long as you stand on one foot and pat your head and rub your belly at the same time. If you deviate from what they want it costs money. Then again you fly across a continent for about $100 CAD, so it kind of feels worth it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #1659
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest thing would be reducing leg room by 10% more to fit on more people.

Even better would be a coin operated reclinez
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #1660
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It's no different than Ryanair. The fares are low, as long as you stand on one foot and pat your head and rub your belly at the same time. If you deviate from what they want it costs money. Then again you fly across a continent for about $100 CAD, so it kind of feels worth it.
While I've never flown them I'm quite aware that this will be pricing just like Ryanair. Just pointing this out for other folks that may not be aware of pricing structures like this on ULCC. I think Ryanair at one point was considering charging for using the lavs.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc