Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2020, 08:37 PM   #1541
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Where’d you get it, and how much?
I’m guessing Brandt Lake, last I looked it was about $225 for a 17lb brisket.

Upload some pics! I’ve wanted to do a Waygu brisket for a while.
Yes, it is Brant Lake - I got it through Backyard Meats - $170

Obviously a little pricey for regular eating - but it was Excellent!! Two thumbs way up all around the table.

I will post pics when I figure out how!
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:17 PM   #1542
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
Yes, it is Brant Lake - I got it through Backyard Meats - $170

Obviously a little pricey for regular eating - but it was Excellent!! Two thumbs way up all around the table.

I will post pics when I figure out how!
Can I come over and take pics, I will post them for you. All I ask is for a slice of wagyu brisket.

On a more serious note, how was backyard meats? Been looking to try them.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #1543
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Can I come over and take pics, I will post them for you. All I ask is for a slice of wagyu brisket.

On a more serious note, how was backyard meats? Been looking to try them.
I've ordered a few times from them. Briskets, Pork Butts, flatiron steaks, and Tomahawks. All have been excellent. They also have some Wagyu pepperoni that is delicious!
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #1544
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, thick steak grilling, suggested ways to do it? Generally just have standard 1inch thick or so steaks and have no issue, but have a nice meal planned next weekend and got some nice USDA prime ribeyes. They are about 2 inches thick though and want to get them right. Usually use high heat, but wondering if I should sear, and then go low.

Will be using a small gas grill as we will be camping so keep that in mind. Medium is the preferred doneness for the group
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #1545
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If it were me, I'd sear it all the way around as best I could, then turn the heat down, or try to use indirect heat if possible, close the lid and cook it like you would in an oven.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #1546
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
If it were me, I'd sear it all the way around as best I could, then turn the heat down, or try to use indirect heat if possible, close the lid and cook it like you would in an oven.

This is close to what I do, not sure if it's the best way, but I'm getting a perfect rare steak on my grill.

I turn the left burner on high and preheat that side as hot as it will get. Turn the right burner to medium. Sear on the left on both sides and then cook it to temp on the right side. I found I was over cooking if I turned the burner down after searing. Kinda makes sense now that I think of it with the retained heat in the grates.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #1547
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just did 2 inch thick filet mignon and it came out perfectly. Fired the BBQ up on high and let it get sizzling hot. Nice and easy 10 minute grill time over high heat with the lid open. 2.5 minutes then turn it over for 2.5 minutes. After that turn it over again and rotate 90 for 2.5 minutes and finally turn it over for the last 2.5 minutes. I would do pretty much the same thing for the ribeyes.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 07:09 AM   #1548
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

I would do the exact opposite. I've been playing with reverse searing lately and the results have been nothing less than stellar.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/rec...loaded-5458694
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #1549
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
I would do the exact opposite. I've been playing with reverse searing lately and the results have been nothing less than stellar.

I did a reverse sear on my last rib roast a couple weekends ago, in my opinion, it turned out better than searing it first.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #1550
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For a roast it makes sense and works well to reverse but for a 2 inch steak I see no need for reverse sear.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:11 AM   #1551
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
For a roast it makes sense and works well to reverse but for a 2 inch steak I see no need for reverse sear.
It's actually an ideal method for a steak of that thickness, but each to his own.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #1552
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's actually an ideal method for a steak of that thickness, but each to his own.
Ya, I agree, with a thicker steak, ie more than an inch, this is a great way to do it and sear it in a cast iron pan on hot as hell! comes out perfect every time and a yummy crust.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #1553
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd like to seriously upgrade/update my grilling game. I used a friend's Weber a couple of weeks ago to do some thin short ribs, and it was amazing. Even heat, no flares, all the good stuff. Now, part of that is that he takes meticulous care of his grill, and cleans it a couple of times per year (it gets used 4-5 times per year, so that makes sense).

I've got the natural gas hardline, so now all I need is the weapon. I'm thinking this is the time of year to start looking for a deal on a higher end grill. Any suggestions/hot tips/deals anyone has tripped across lately?
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #1554
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
I'd like to seriously upgrade/update my grilling game. I used a friend's Weber a couple of weeks ago to do some thin short ribs, and it was amazing. Even heat, no flares, all the good stuff. Now, part of that is that he takes meticulous care of his grill, and cleans it a couple of times per year (it gets used 4-5 times per year, so that makes sense).

I've got the natural gas hardline, so now all I need is the weapon. I'm thinking this is the time of year to start looking for a deal on a higher end grill. Any suggestions/hot tips/deals anyone has tripped across lately?
I wasn't really paying attention to the deals and prices but I was at Lowes yesterday and many/most of their BBQs are on sale or clearance right now. You can start there.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #1555
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't really paying attention to the deals and prices but I was at Lowes yesterday and many/most of their BBQs are on sale or clearance right now. You can start there.
Thanks! I had looked there last Thursday, and didn't notice any specials. Perhaps once August 15th passed by, the deals started. I will check it out again.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #1556
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I made the kamado jump recently and would recommend it to anybody looking to pick up a new bbq. Big pros are greater versatility (smoking, grilling, baking, searing all in one) and better flavour (charcoal vs gas/propane).
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #1557
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
I made the kamado jump recently and would recommend it to anybody looking to pick up a new bbq. Big pros are greater versatility (smoking, grilling, baking, searing all in one) and better flavour (charcoal vs gas/propane).
Welcome to the club
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #1558
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ended up with what is probably my best brisket ever tonight. It turned out to be extremely tender and nicely juicy. I was concerned that I screwed it up because I had left it cooking and went to the store and car wash. I came back an hour later and the temperature had spiked. But it didn't seem to impact the end result too much.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 01-16-2021 at 06:55 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 06:49 PM   #1559
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
I picked up a Weber Genesis II for about $500 at >50% off in December
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #1560
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought some Picanha (top sirloin cap) today and cut it up into steaks. It looks really good and hopefully it tastes delicious. I've read quite a bit about how it is supposed to be really tender and full of flavour.

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber