Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #801
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Like....'throwing a brick through Sam Raimi's front window with a passive aggressive note' disappointed.

And yes, I know he had nothing to do with this particular Spiderman film. Still though...
See the movie and then re-read this.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #802
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I gotta tell you guys, when I eventually see this movie I'll be going in expecting the greatest thing since electricity and if isnt that good I'm going to be really disappointed.

Like....'throwing a brick through Sam Raimi's front window with a passive aggressive note' disappointed.

And yes, I know he had nothing to do with this particular Spiderman film. Still though...
If you have a 4 year old like mine, you'll soon get sick of him running to the Amazon Echo screaming 'Hey Alexa! Play Sunflower!'.

Aside from that, I've hyped it up to many of my friends, and they say it exceeded the hype that I so vehemently declared.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #803
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

3D for Spiderverse. yay or nay?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #804
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It makes fun of Spider-Man 3 in the opening scene, if that helps.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #805
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
3D for Spiderverse. yay or nay?
I didn't see it in 3D and regretted it. I would imagine it looks phenomenal.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #806
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Re: Into the Spider-verse

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...vealed-1169124

Great read IF You've watched the movie. Don't read it you haven't. But so many easter eggs. The whole movie was pretty much one giant easter egg. I picked up on about half of them as I was watching. The rest after thinking about it after, or reading this, in an 'a-ha!' moment. One of my favorites is this though (not a spoiler). I was noticing this throughout the movie, but my mind didn't register it until near the end, and was amazed at how clever and wonderfully it came across.

Quote:
8. It Looks Like a Comic Book

Also interesting to note are the Ben-Day dots that make up the characters themselves. Named after illustrator and printer Benjamin Henry Day Jr., these dots are used to create the various colors on the pages of older comic books. Here they are used for texture, but also feature prominently during the final battle between the Spider-Men and Kingpin's forces. As the world twists, turns and melts around them, Miles and the Kingpin fight inside of the very Ben-Day dots that make up their bodies.

But that's not all, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse also sports the commonly seen off-register printing errors from older comics. Comics' colors used to be quite limited, hence everyone wearing red and blue, and the colors had to be printed one at a time. The colors would have to overlap each other precisely, but they would often not and end up "out of register." You can see this effect throughout the film, with reds and blues leaking out of either side of characters, especially during the earliest moments in the film.

Last edited by manwiches; 01-03-2019 at 01:25 PM.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #807
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If anyone is interested in a break down of the animation technique they used in Spiderverse. I stole these from this post on imgur.

Spoiler!
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 11:18 PM   #808
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If anyone is interested in a break down of the animation technique they used in Spiderverse. I stole these from this post on imgur.

Spoiler!
Yeah. At first it was quite jarring but made sense afterwards.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:32 AM   #809
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW'd for a bad word...

NSFW!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #810
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fishboy is on pace to not only crack the $1 billion mark but it will also most likely become the highest grossing DC film ever topping The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #811
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Fishboy is on pace to not only crack the $1 billion mark but it will also most likely become the highest grossing DC film ever topping The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.
It would need to earn about 1.1 billion to beat the Dark Knight Rises? It did just get extended in China.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #812
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is this your subtle way of providing empirical evidence that 'Box Office Success =\= Good Movie?'

Because thats my take on it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #813
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought Aquaman was a blast. It's so silly, and I love how the film embraces its silliness. I really had a good time watching it. I actually kinda want to go and watch it again in theater because I don't think it's going to be as good on a TV.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #814
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is this your subtle way of providing empirical evidence that 'Box Office Success =\= Good Movie?'

Nope just excited to see Aquaman be more successful than even I had thought possible.

After this weekend it will need to make about $150 million more to reach $1.1 billion, should get there with it yet to be released in Japan. Might be close but I have faith it will reach the mark!

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 01-04-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #815
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nope just excited to see Aquaman be more successful than even I had thought possible.

After this weekend it will need to make about $150 million more to reach $1.1 billion, should get there with it yet to be released in Japan. Might be close but I have faith it will reach the mark!

But it's already successful. What difference does it make if it makes 1.1 billion unless its to say it made more than any other DC movie?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #816
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think anyone would call Aquaman a "good movie". It's a visual spectacle. The action is great too.

The world building was really good too. So they've set themselves up for the potential to make a follow up that is actually is a better movie. Given the genre, however, I can't see how anyone could expect a "good movie" here. Should we have so Oscar worthy speech in between a battling a giant crab and a laser shark?

With the exception of the Dark Knight and Logan, nothing in the superhero genre approaches being a genuinely good movie. Squabbling over specific script and plot points is ridiculous. If people want to hold Aquaman to a higher standard, the highest standards should be movies like T2 and not Citizen Kane.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #817
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah while it actually appears to be an okay movie I think Aquaman benefited from a couple of things at the box office.

1) Only noteworthy blockbuster at Christmas Time: Disney had family friendly Mary Poppins but IMO made a mistake by not moving Solo/Ant-Man/Captain Marvel into this release window. Aquaman and Bumblebee were really the only "blockbuster" type movies that came out recently and personally didn't see a lot of marketing push behind Bumblebee.

2) Jason Mamoa: They had a strong lead face to put out there in the marketing material and think that he's been able to attract more casual fans to go out and see this movie.

3) It wasn't a complete tire fire: People want to like DC movies and if the movie isn't a complete piece of trash people will support it. We saw the same thing with Wonder Woman getting decent reviews and then taking off at the box office through word of mouth.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #818
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 11 year old and I were talking this morning about what other animated movies could challenge Spiderverse for Best Animated Feature this year. It should easily outdo Smallfoot and Ralph this year.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #819
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
My 11 year old and I were talking this morning about what other animated movies could challenge Spiderverse for Best Animated Feature this year. It should easily outdo Smallfoot and Ralph this year.
Speaking of those two movies, we enjoyed Ralph but really disliked Smallfoot. I thought Smallfoot missed by quite a bit.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #820
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
2) Jason Mamoa: They had a strong lead face to put out there in the marketing material and think that he's been able to attract more casual fans to go out and see this movie.

This. Most women I know are quite hot and bothered by Jason.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote