Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2024, 07:38 PM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
That's the cosmic terror of the Flames right now, nothing says there is no god, that the universe wants to kill you and that we are alone, like those two contracts. It's ####ing crazy that we are stuck with them for so many more years.

Kadri has his moments. But I just can't bright side Huby any more. I hope he develops an allergy to hockey and retires.
Yeah. Because if they trade everyone else that they can and this team suuuucks...and we're already getting poor performance from Kadri and Huberdeau? They're going to coast and its going to be bitch riding out those contracts.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 07:40 PM   #22
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I think the dream is the Dallas model. If you can develop well, then having Seguin/Benn doesn't hurt as much. You also get a massive cap injection in 5&7 years not allowing for the Tre style spend money on stupidity strategies rushing the reload (mason raymond, james neal, troy brouwer). It's a reach to find a silver lining because most days I am fully aligned with you on this...but Dallas gives me hope.
You just need to draft 3 studs in one year.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 07:41 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I think the dream is the Dallas model. If you can develop well, then having Seguin/Benn doesn't hurt as much. You also get a massive cap injection in 5&7 years not allowing for the Tre style spend money on stupidity strategies rushing the reload (mason raymond, james neal, troy brouwer). It's a reach to find a silver lining because most days I am fully aligned with you on this...but Dallas gives me hope.
Yeah...but 'Hope' just really isn't my bag.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 07:42 PM   #24
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The futures will be piling up, hopefully the Flames can make something out of some of them.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 07:56 PM   #25
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
per Friedman on HNIC

Agent or team will not comment but all signs show Hanifin will be traded.
Some Canadian teams interested in Hanifin but US teams more confident they will be able to sign him

Markstrom situation is when the Flames have an offer they like is to bring it to him and he will make a decision
This is what i have expected all along. Conroy isnt asking Markstrom to waive unless he gets offered exactly what he wants from.....whoever.

Only then will that destination be taken to Markstroms agent (Don Meehan iirc) which will of course then be discussed with Markstrom and his wife and he would agree at that point.

Feels like its still a long way from done.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:58 PM   #26
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://flamesnation.ca/news/friedma...-to-the-market

This link has the actual video.

One thing: Friedman’s comments do not necessarily mean the Flames haven’t received offers. Friedman is speaking about Markstrom’s general approach to the situation, when Friedman said, “I just think it’s a situation where he’s said ‘Look, when you have an offer bring it to me and I’ll make my decision.’” So, I think the Flames could still be in this negotiation with the Devils, but the Flames just haven’t gotten to the point of going to Markstrom with a trade they’re willing to agree to, per Lebrun, contra Seravalli. (Because I don’t think the Flames are going to take something to Markstrom until they’re willing to do the trade themselves.) And the reporting from Friedman and Lebrun, whom I trust the most, has been that retention, and perhaps the cost of retention, is an issue.

I also like the sounds of the Flames and Pat Brisson not commenting. To me, that shows the two sides are working together, not posturing in the media. Perhaps Brisson can coordinate a deal for the Flames, like he did for the Jets last season.

Last edited by Nelson; 02-17-2024 at 08:05 PM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 08:03 PM   #27
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This is what i have expected all along. Conroy isnt asking Markstrom to waive unless he gets offered exactly what he wants from.....whoever.

Only then will that destination be taken to Markstroms agent (Don Meehan iirc) which will of course then be discussed with Markstrom and his wife and he would agree at that point.

Feels like its still a long way from done.
I've heard ex GMs previously say that once a player is made available and teams have reached out to inquire, the process usually starts with asking the player if they'll consider waiving for the few interested teams before negotiations escalate.

Now if Conroy has previously only been willing to listen without actually negotiating, then I'm sure he doesn't bother Markstrom with the subject. But once NJ, LA, whoever are legitimately interested and want to negotiate, it only makes sense Conroy confirms if the teams are options for the player. Otherwise it's only a waste of time for the GM himself.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 08:07 PM   #28
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I've heard ex GMs previously say that once a player is made available and teams have reached out to inquire, the process usually starts with asking the player if they'll consider waiving for the few interested teams before negotiations escalate.

Now if Conroy has previously only been willing to listen without actually negotiating, then I'm sure he doesn't bother Markstrom with the subject. But once NJ, LA, whoever are legitimately interested and want to negotiate, it only makes sense Conroy confirms if the teams are options for the player. Otherwise it's only a waste of time for the GM himself.
But Friedman is reporting that Markstrom has told the team to come to him once they have an offer and he’ll make the decision then. So, I think Markstrom’s approach means the situation might be working differently this time.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:15 PM   #29
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Sure, but an offer can still be early on in the negotiations. Conroy listens to the offer and counters with his requirements, etc.

Ultimately I don't think Markstrom has been asked multiple times for multiple teams. But if Conroy tells the few interested teams he's going to entertain offers, he likely has confirmed with Markstrom along the way if he would waive for NJ and LA for example.

It's similar to the fans that have suggested Murray Edwards won't retain salary when Sec214 stated Conroy has already presented his plan back in December and Edwards agreed then. The most logical approach for Conroy to trade players is to know what limitations exist from the owner and from the player, why waste his own time otherwise?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 08:19 PM   #30
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

No Hanifin
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 08:27 PM   #31
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Sure, but an offer can still be early on in the negotiations. Conroy listens to the offer and counters with his requirements, etc.

Ultimately I don't think Markstrom has been asked multiple times for multiple teams. But if Conroy tells the few interested teams he's going to entertain offers, he likely has confirmed with Markstrom along the way if he would waive for NJ and LA for example.

It's similar to the fans that have suggested Murray Edwards won't retain salary when Sec214 stated Conroy has already presented his plan back in December and Edwards agreed then. The most logical approach for Conroy to trade players is to know what limitations exist from the owner and from the player, why waste his own time otherwise?
Oh, I agree it would definitely be best to figure out your parameters before beginning negotiations. I would be stunned if Conroy didn’t try to figure out how much the Flames would retain or where Markstrom might be willing to go in advance. But when asked by Conroy, Markstrom may have responded, “Look, just come to me when you’ve got an offer you’re willing to accept, and I’ll make my decision then.”
Old 02-17-2024, 08:47 PM   #32
YourMother
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

On our way to 5 first rounders. Come on down, Tij.
YourMother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YourMother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 08:51 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-17-2024, 09:51 PM   #34
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ugh...on the one hand I hate this and the other its what I want.

The reason I hate this? While I'm not opposed to getting assets for pending UFAs and good players...we're still stuck and saddled with Huberdeau, Kadri, etc.

So we're in this weird 'in-between' place.
Great post, I feel the same way. Those contracts were signed to advance a 5-year competitive window, not worrying that the players might be old and useless entering a few years of rebuilding.

Instead we're starting a rebuild now, and they'll be useless right around the time we get competitive again.

It's a huge problem. The Dallas model is the one potential bright spot, as others have pointed out. But if those contracts could ever be moved, they should be. Kadri maybe. I don't see Huberdeau ever being moved.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 10:00 PM   #35
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Are we sure the 'Dallas Model' is a model at all? The team struck gold in three consecutive picks in the 2017 draft, followed by what appears to be more gold in Thomas Harley two years later. Unless we kidnap their amateur scouting staff, I'm not sure a trajectory like that can be replicated.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 10:00 PM   #36
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The plan is to be competitive (as in an early stages Cup threat) in 2027. Three years.

Huberdeau and Kadri will still be effective. Weegar will still be a rock on defense. Coleman in the UFA year. That's it for commitments. No reason to be worried.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:19 PM   #37
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Are we sure the 'Dallas Model' is a model at all? The team struck gold in three consecutive picks in the 2017 draft, followed by what appears to be more gold in Thomas Harley two years later. Unless we kidnap their amateur scouting staff, I'm not sure a trajectory like that can be replicated.
Our scouting seems pretty good too.

They seem to have learned their lesson about retirement contracts though.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 10:21 PM   #38
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The plan is to be competitive (as in an early stages Cup threat) in 2027. Three years.

Huberdeau and Kadri will still be effective. Weegar will still be a rock on defense. Coleman in the UFA year. That's it for commitments. No reason to be worried.

Is Huberdeau effective now?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 10:57 PM   #39
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

In Conroy I trust!
Old 02-17-2024, 11:11 PM   #40
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find these trade rumour threads more exciting than the last couple of Flames games.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ferarri For This Useful Post: