Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2024, 07:54 AM   #41
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Until Weekes' forehead makes an appearance I don't believe its anything serious.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 08:07 AM   #42
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s fine to have Andersson in talks, but he’d be a hot commodity around ANYWHERE in the league. You better be getting a center with franchise potential if you’re giving up a top pairing RD.

And if that’s the case, then we need to sign Hanifin. Can’t have a d core of Weegar and youngsters, that just doesn’t work. We need at LEAST a Hanifin - Weegar or Weegar - Andersson pairing. Can’t roll out with just one good guy.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:08 AM   #43
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

If we saw a seismic shift in term length (shorter term) I'd want to keep Andersson long term.

But given he'll want an 8 year deal out from 29 I would guess they will deal him in the next 24 months.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 08:14 AM   #44
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I do wonder if the trickle effect becomes a thing.

Markstrom didn't seem to be willing to move until Lindholm was dealt.

Hanifin makes his decision he's not re-signing so he is going to be dealt

It's possible that all of a sudden somebody like Andersson actually approaches the team saying "I don't know if I really want to be part of a rebuilt"

There would be no urgency to move him unless it's an overpay (and I do think that between now and the draft someone would overpay for him) but maybe it does kind of open the door a bit if he indicates he doesn't want to stay.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:16 AM   #45
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't waste my time listening to middle of the night "insider" scoops. Let's trade everyone. And the fleeting excitement will be dashed when you realize it means 50 years of hell. Let Connie do his work carefully and not all run around like chickens with our heads cut off.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:20 AM   #46
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might sound bonkers but I'd rather have Hanifin than Andersson long term.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:24 AM   #47
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

No thanks. Andersson is a guy I would keep for the youth to learn from. Just something about those swedes.

Of course for the right price, you aren't saying no. But gotta think that price is at a premium.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:26 AM   #48
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson isn't going anywhere. He is a vocal leader on the team and a guy who has been very vocal about players being here who want to be Calgary Flames. He is probably the successor to Backlund as Captain in a few years. Rasmus is a guy that I could see playing his entire career here.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 08:26 AM   #49
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love it if Andersson played his whole career here. Would be sad to see him traded.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:39 AM   #50
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I echo the voices that see him as our future captain, probably once he re-ups in 2 years and Backlund is ready to pass it on (or retire). I would be happy if he stayed his whole career in CGY.

BUT, if he decides he doesn't want to be here, I would be dealing him for a haul (along with his buddy Mangiapane).
I could see Buffalo backing up the truck for him:
Ryan Johnson plus some A prospects:
-Savoie or Ostlund
-Kulich
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:40 AM   #51
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Who is going to play defence if Hanifan, Andersson and Tanev are traded?
Old 02-16-2024, 08:46 AM   #52
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't want to see Andersson traded. The return would have to be massive. There needs to be someone left to playbdendence.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:48 AM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Goddamned Iceland...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:49 AM   #54
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
Wow wasn't expecting Andersson's name out there, the only reason I can't see this happening is that without Tanev and Andersson we're left with one RHS on D (Weegar), and all of our upcoming D prospects are LHS.

Makes me think that if a trade would happen with Andersson, Conroy would likely be targeting a RHS D in a potential return. Righties are arguably worth even more in a trade though, and Andersson's contract is fantastic for what he provides... interesting.
If we trade Hanifin, Tanev, and Andersson for futures, at least some of those futures will be a RHD.

It honestly doesn't matter how good our blueline is if we don't have any elite centers. If our blueline is the key to getting assets like draft picks and prospects, while helping put us in a better draft position to get elite center, we should do it.

But the return has to be good. No "Jay Bouwmeester for Morgan Klimchuk and some C prospects" type nonsense

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 08:54 AM   #55
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Also I do wonder if the trickle effect becomes a thing.

Markstrom didn't seem to be willing to move until Lindholm was dealt.

Hanifin makes his decision he's not re-signing so he is going to be dealt

It's possible that all of a sudden somebody like Andersson actually approaches the team saying "I don't know if I really want to be part of a rebuilt"

There would be no urgency to move him unless it's an overpay (and I do think that between now and the draft someone would overpay for him) but maybe it does kind of open the door a bit if he indicates he doesn't want to stay.
There will be a trickle effect, right now the current players are still looking at the playoffs and thinking we are close. The loses will start to come as we saw last night against the sharks with no Markstrom in net. As more guys move, games will be less fun to play for some of these vets.

Players are going to want to move from this team.

This will end up as a full rebuild and we will be at the bottom next year.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:08 AM   #56
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given Andersson's age and low cap, this one is an untouchable, you'd think. Him and Weegar. No frickin way they trade any of their top line D-men unless you're in a total tank mode and rebuild from scratch. It's gotta stop at some point and even the mention of this is kind of ridiculous unless the return is phenomenal. If Flames plan on a full rebuild, do it with a team down in the bottom 2-3 and get a 1st rounder pick that's in the top 3. Even then, there's no guarantee the pick will work out (cough: Bennett). Andersson's the real deal - you don't just trade for the sake of getting a big haul and not know if you can build off of prospects and potentials. My view for the Flames going forward is - build around Andersson, Weegar, and Zary.

Last edited by CSharp; 02-16-2024 at 09:18 AM.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:13 AM   #57
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I believe Andersson is the piece Treliving might overpay for
Canadian Tire Money doesn’t get it done.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:15 AM   #58
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's actually great news. The extra 2 years at a great cap hit would add a ton of value. I could see a team moving their best prospect(or two) plus a 1st easily. If we retain then it might get even crazier... what team wouldn't want to add an Andersson at $2.25M for 3 cup runs?

Then we can always use some assets to bring in players that would better fit the 2027 window.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:16 AM   #59
BaconGuy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I see what Connie is doing here. He has determined the pathway to the #1 pick overall is to mimic what the clowns up north have done over the past 15 years

Tire fire on defence = #1 overall picks

Sell Sell Sell
BaconGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:17 AM   #60
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Canadian Tire Money doesn’t get it done.
What about unlimited Boston Brutes and Schooners of Bud Light?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: