Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2024, 11:35 AM   #21
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wheeler himself writes in the Bruins piece that taking Poitras off the list has cost the Bruins a couple of spots in his rankings ... in reality, he's still 19 and a big piece for them going forward. Whatever you choose as a cutoff point, you can find holes in that methodology ... it'll always just be a snapshot with an arbitrary cutoff that might skew rankings a bit. But either way, I just like reading up on prospects around the league from a knowledgable guy like Wheeler. Also helps when your team trades for a guy like Joni Jurmo and you can go back and read Wheeler's snippets about him.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 11:35 AM   #22
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

That's why I like those talent under 25 type rankings. Means more overall.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 11:52 AM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
If just potential, I hope Honzek is higher than Pelletier……he was a lottery pick in a deep draft
I think we all hope that. I hope that Honzek becomes a top line, 100 point guy.

Ranking prospects is tough, because there are multiple variables. How much weight do you give potential, and how much weight do you give likelihood of playing? We KNOW Pelletier can contribute in the NHL. Honzek has more upside, but IMO, we need to see more progression before he moves higher.

Morin and Brzustewicz might have even more potential than Honzek. But are also probably less likely to achieve it. Gotta weigh the factors.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:00 PM   #24
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as the creator of lists is consistent in applying his or her methodology to rankings, then these lists are worth a peek at, and may both inform and entertain. It is when methodologies are applied haphazardly that they stop making sense, and aren't worth the time.

I like Wheeler's lists for the most part. I also assume that he has finished this before the flurry of trades just happened, so it will be interesting to see where he has the Flames now, and where he will have the Flames the next time he does one of these.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:12 PM   #25
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pittsburgh at 27 - https://theathletic.com/5193446/2024...rankings-2024/
Colorado at 26 - https://theathletic.com/5196396/2024...rankings-2024/
Mulletville at 25 - https://theathletic.com/5214044/2024...rankings-2024/
Florida at 24 - https://theathletic.com/5214492/2024...rankings-2024/
Vegas at 23 - https://theathletic.com/5214501/2024...rankings-2024/
Old 02-08-2024, 05:30 PM   #26
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Be he should have waited until March 9th to start these rankings. Prospects will be moved between now and the deadline. Flames have already strengthen their pool with the Lindholm deal and I expect they will continue to do so with the upcoming trades
The purpose of these isn't to do them at the best possible time, it's to fill the content hole when not much else is going on. That's why you see them in the summer and at the all star break.

At the trade deadline there will be trades and playoff races to write about, so this won't be as necessary.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:48 PM   #27
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Morin and Brzustewicz might have even more potential than Honzek. But are also probably less likely to achieve it. Gotta weigh the factors.
I’m not really sure what you mean by this. Why do you think they have more potential? And why would the be less likely to achieve it?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:00 PM   #28
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I’m not really sure what you mean by this. Why do you think they have more potential? And why would the be less likely to achieve it?
They both have the potential to be a #1. But that is rare, and few achieve that height
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 06:03 PM   #29
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Higher ceiling and lower floor.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:41 AM   #30
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Devils fall all the way from 2 to 22 - https://theathletic.com/5235251/2024...rankings-2024/
Stars at 21 - https://theathletic.com/5239029/2024...rankings-2024/
Capitals at 20 - https://theathletic.com/5242141/2024...rankings-2024/
Rangers at 19 - https://theathletic.com/5252641/2024...rankings-2024/

Flames still nowhere to be found and up from being ranked 20th last year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 11:51 AM   #31
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Boston at 30 - https://theathletic.com/5114411/2024...rankings-2024/
Tampa Bay at 29 - https://theathletic.com/5190377/2024...rankings-2024/
Toronto at 28 - https://theathletic.com/5190753/2024...rankings-2024/

many of the teams mentioned in trade rumours with the Flames (OTT, BOS, TOR) among those with the worst prospect pools in the league, but such is life
Makes sense that best teams have the worst draft picks and therefore worse prospects. Plus they trade picks prospects to help them contend. And finally, they are the teams looking for rentals.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 11:54 AM   #32
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Makes sense that best teams have the worst draft picks and therefore worse prospects. Plus they trade picks prospects to help them contend. And finally, they are the teams looking for rentals.
The biggest aberration is Edmonton; bad team that trumpets how proud they are that they've largely held onto their 1st picks over the last 10 years, and yet still they are in the bottom 5 of the league in terms of system strength.

The Oilers are no good at prospect identification and even worse at prospect development. Edmonton is no good!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 11:56 AM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Mind you, I think Calgary was still ranked lower even when they had guys who are now making some impacts still in the system.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:22 PM   #34
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames should move up in these rankings. The solid 2023 draft and the additions of Brzustewich and Jurmo will beef up the numbers. Still short on bluechippers but the pool is way better than in the past.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:25 PM   #35
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Flames should move up in these rankings. The solid 2023 draft and the additions of Brzustewich and Jurmo will beef up the numbers. Still short on bluechippers but the pool is way better than in the past.
I suspect Brz and Jurmo may not even be included for the Flames, as he started to release these rankings prior to that deal being completed.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 05:46 AM   #36
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I suspect Brz and Jurmo may not even be included for the Flames, as he started to release these rankings prior to that deal being completed.

I believe he did write that he would include them in the Flames as he hadn't published the article yet - but in the Canuck one he published today, he said Jurmo was a C and Brz a B prospect when talking about their deletion, so they may not move the needle much.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 06:03 AM   #37
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver at 18. No Brzustewicz or Jurmo, so they'll be on the Flames list.

https://theathletic.com/5247687/2024...rankings-2024/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 08:42 AM   #38
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
I believe he did write that he would include them in the Flames as he hadn't published the article yet - but in the Canuck one he published today, he said Jurmo was a C and Brz a B prospect when talking about their deletion, so they may not move the needle much.
Some else said the same thing. Maybe it was Dreger, that when he asked around he was told by scouts that the prospects acquired by Flames were B and C grades.

I guess it depends what is meant by “B” but Brz seems like an exciting prospect. In a redraft, he must have at lest a 2nd round grade on him, no? Maybe he could be A minus.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:45 AM   #39
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Brz has some high upside but have to wonder if there is an "industry" book where he is being judged. I mean, he is tearing up junior but didn't make the US national team.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:45 AM   #40
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Some else said the same thing. Maybe it was Dreger, that when he asked around he was told by scouts that the prospects acquired by Flames were B and C grades.

I guess it depends what is meant by “B” but Brz seems like an exciting prospect. In a redraft, he must have at lest a 2nd round grade on him, no? Maybe he could be A minus.
My reading between the lines on what Wheeler said in his Canuck note ...

Quote:
The drafting of one top prospect, acquisition of a B or B-plus grade one, positive developmental steps for another top prospect and rare reintroduction of another who at this time last year was in the NHL have combined to give the Vancouver Canucks’ pool a boost even after moving out B-plus prospect Hunter Brzustewicz (who never actually made an appearance in the countdown) and C prospect Joni Jurmo.
HB is a B+ now, but last year he wasn't and wasn't in the Canucks top prospects list.

Meaning the loss in a year over year comparison is muted for Vancouver since Jurmo slid, and HB wasn't on the list last year to begin with.

For the Flames though that's an add of a B+ to the system which will have an impact.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: