Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2024, 05:09 PM   #1
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What should we absolutely NOT screw up going forward?

OK this season is looking like a writeoff, so let's get the rest of this crap right..

Here are some absolutely MUST not screw ups:
- Don't let Wolf rot in the minors (ditch one of the goalies and start bringing him in regularly, otherwise guaranteed we are going to regret it)
- Don't let the UFAs walk for free.. I'm pretty sure Conroy won't do this but I'm starting to get impatient.. If it's Lindholm for a 1st and prospect, go for it.
- Put the players in roles to succeed. Keep Coronato on the PP, use Pelletier on the PK, Play Kylington on the 4 on 4 etc. If you're a scorer, don't play on the 4th line
- Fix the DAMN PP
- Keep the youth movement going
- Do not sign old vets on free agent day (except maybe Tanev)
- Get lots of picks and draft a lot of players

Anything else before next year?
Old 01-26-2024, 05:13 PM   #2
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team also needs to figure out what to do with Kylington as he's now on the list of UFAs that need dealing with.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:20 PM   #3
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t think Wolf is rotting in the minors. If we can move Vladar or Marky, great, but a Wolf move isn’t a must have.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:25 PM   #4
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I don’t think Wolf is rotting in the minors. If we can move Vladar or Marky, great, but a Wolf move isn’t a must have.
Disagree.
If I am Wolf, and I believe at this point I have earned a place in the NHL (he has), I would be unhappy to (1) be earning an AHL salary as opposed to an NHL salary, (2) setting myself up for a substantial raise on my next NHL contract instead of a bridge, (3) not seeing the club prioritizing my development.

It would and should leave sour grapes if you are left in the minors too long, which is hard to argue against at this point.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:28 PM   #5
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, don't throw Wolf to himselves. Make sure that there is a vet left that can do heavy lifting this season and next.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:29 PM   #6
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going forward - when? And which way is this team going?

As long as this team is sticking around .500 (+/- 3 games), no one knows what this team wants to do going forward. It's like ground hog day until someone decides there needs to be some changes!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:30 PM   #7
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
OK this season is looking like a writeoff, so let's get the rest of this crap right..

Here are some absolutely MUST not screw ups:
- Don't let Wolf rot in the minors (ditch one of the goalies and start bringing him in regularly, otherwise guaranteed we are going to regret it)
- Don't let the UFAs walk for free.. I'm pretty sure Conroy won't do this but I'm starting to get impatient.. If it's Lindholm for a 1st and prospect, go for it.
- Put the players in roles to succeed. Keep Coronato on the PP, use Pelletier on the PK, Play Kylington on the 4 on 4 etc. If you're a scorer, don't play on the 4th line
- Fix the DAMN PP
- Keep the youth movement going
- Do not sign old vets on free agent day (except maybe Tanev)
- Get lots of picks and draft a lot of players

Anything else before next year?
They need to find some players that hate losing. We’re light in that department.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 05:34 PM   #8
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Wolf is nowhere close to being a starter, or, honestly, even a full time backup. He needs more NHL games, but not too many.

The overall plan is a bit of a tough call. If you go full scorched earth you risk losing out on Pelletier, Zary, Coronato, etc's... prime years. The team actually has a great group of prospects and young players. In fact, the best I can remember. The team also has great depth, particularly on defence.

The team is obviously missing star power.

The plan should be to move out Lindholm, Tanev, and possibly Hanifin. Maybe Coleman, Kadri, and Backlund, but only if there are good offers.

Then you load up on as many picks and young players (see Sharingovich) as you can over the next couple of years. Don't sign any of our vets, and hope the Flames can turn it around quickly.

Sign Kylington. He looked like he belongs in the NHL, despite missing so much time. Plus d-men last a lot longer than most forwards seem to these days.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:38 PM   #9
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do not let any valuable assets walk out the door with no return.
Need to accumulate draft picks, as many as you can get.
Do not hold onto vets who are having career years, if a GM offers you a good return, sell high.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:53 PM   #10
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Going forward - when? And which way is this team going?

As long as this team is sticking around .500 (+/- 3 games), no one knows what this team wants to do going forward. It's like ground hog day until someone decides there needs to be some changes!
Heh, yeah I suppose we should actually start moving forward first, before we get into Christmas lists.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:01 PM   #11
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sell the current crop of UFAs (exception for kylington). Don't sign any long term UFAs in the off season.

The rest will sort itself out.
This team is going to suck for a number of years until some top end talent emerges from somewhere.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 06:01 PM   #12
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't #### up with UFA's. Trade them before they get hurt. I would rather see the team with maybe a lesser return than no return.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:14 PM   #13
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm afraid if we trade Markström and keep vladar, we're basically going to be throwing wolf to the wolves...

I believe we will still a decent goalie to take on some of the load. And vladar isn't that guy.

Maybe the flames trade for another goalie after they move, Markström. Then trade vladar, and have Wolf take over as backup next season.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PuckSlap For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 06:19 PM   #14
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or just trade VLadar and use Wolf as the backup. Honestly I think wolf would be equivalent to vLadar or better with much more longterm potential.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:21 PM   #15
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
I'm afraid if we trade Markström and keep vladar, we're basically going to be throwing wolf to the wolves...

I believe we will still a decent goalie to take on some of the load. And vladar isn't that guy.

Maybe the flames trade for another goalie after they move, Markström. Then trade vladar, and have Wolf take over as backup next season.

Why not? Vladar has shown that he can play in this league, and he does better with more consistent work.

If we trade Markstrom (not very likely), we are in full re-tool mode. Who cares if Vladar performs at a mediocre level - what would that hold us back from?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 06:21 PM   #16
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Or just trade VLadar and use Wolf as the backup. Honestly I think wolf would be equivalent to vLadar or better with much more longterm potential.
I agree with the premise. But we really could use the draft picks and Marky could draw some good picks or at least peices

Old 01-26-2024, 06:23 PM   #17
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Why not? Vladar has shown that he can play in this league, and he does better with more consistent work.

If we trade Markstrom (not very likely), we are in full re-tool mode. Who cares if Vladar performs at a mediocre level - what would that hold us back from?
He seems to be a bit too inconsistent imo

Old 01-26-2024, 06:24 PM   #18
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is the more likely route, but personally, I like trading Markstrom much more.

1) Markstrom brings back a very nice return (Vladar brings back little)

2) As long as Markstrom is here, he is getting his 60 games or so, and I would rather not see Wolf sitting on the bench for 60 games a year. If it were a Vladar/Wolf tandem, I would think the workload would be more even, and would be more likely to be based on performance.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:25 PM   #19
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Don't give any player more than $3M going into his 35+ contract year
- Don't attempt to flip the assets we get at the deadline to compete for the playoffs next year
- (if you can) Don't wait too late to cash in on guys like Markstrom, and Coleman
- Don't overpay for Hanifin to stay here
- Don't sign any UFAs on the first day of free agency. Attempt to bring in guys that want the opportunity on 1 year deals, that you can flip to a contender(like Monahan @2M this year)
- Start grooming the next captain
- Bring over a couple more older stars like Gio, either to be around the players as skills coaches or as the 6th/7th D, or 12th/13th F
- Decide in the offseason which of Sharangovich, Mangiapane, Andersson, Weegar, and Kylington will fit the new core, move the rest.
- Take a swing in trades on a couple of younger players on deep teams that your pro scouts like(like Durzi for a 2nd).
- Sign your future young stars to 8 year contracts instead of bridge contracts.

Last edited by gvitaly; 01-26-2024 at 06:29 PM.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 06:25 PM   #20
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
He seems to be a bit too inconsistent imo

Again, why? Are the Flames going to be competitive next year?

If they trade Lindholm, Tanev and Markstrom, they will not be. What would Vladar be holding them back from?