Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-12-2019, 05:11 AM   #981
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
All right, to keep alive the Lucic for Neil discussion, I have one trade proposal that would be hated by fans on both sides but would probably be good for both teams.

Draisaitl (25% retained) + Lucic

for

Gaudreau + Neil

From the Oilers' perspective, this gives them an actual scorer and playmaker who can play with McDavid. In turn, McDavid's speed gives Gaudreau more room to operate, and both will put up monster numbers.

This solidifies the Flames down the middle.

Tkachuk-Draisaitl-Lindholm
Bennett-Monahan-Czarnik (or UFA signing or trade Frolik and/or Czarnik for 2nd or 3rd line RW)

Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik (or UFA signing)

Mangiapane-Dube-Ryan

Play Lucic in place of Czarnik or Frolik when you need size/muscle/intimidation.

This gives the Flames at least two natural centres on each line, one right shot and one left shot. In addition, Monahan and Backlund are slotted properly in the lineup of a Stanley Cup contender. The Flames would also upgrade their size and muscle. Draisaitl couldn't do much with AHL wingers, but I suspect it would be a different story with Tkachuk and Lindholm.
This is horrible, and not in a "you have to give to get" way. Think about it logically.

- Drai is only an all star with McDavid, can't do anything away from him, so you're buying high
- Drai could semi-replicate his big numbers with Gaudreau….except you gave Gaudreau to Edmonton
- Gaudreau would likely blow by his career high with McDavid

So basically you'd bump Gaudreau up to a 110 point player on EDM, knock Drai down to an 80 point player on the Flames and we take back the far worse albatross contract???

Good lord, man.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #982
rhino
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The Flames under no circumstances are trading for Lucic, thank you..... next.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rhino For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 06:37 AM   #983
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has gone off the rails.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 AM   #984
Moneyhands23
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think some of the posters have been snorting rails...
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #985
Funkhouser
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some speculation in Montreal of a Brodie for Shaw trade. I think it would be a great move...giving us more jam on the right side.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #986
Moneyhands23
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Some speculation in Montreal of a Brodie for Shaw trade. I think it would be a great move...giving us more jam on the right side.
I hope mtl would be adding a 2nd. Really tho, Im not to happy to have Shaw
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #987
gvitaly
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I heard that too, but it was more because it was rumoured he might be a part of a Gostisbehere swap.

Quote:
While Shaw was not mentioned explicitly in a potential trade for Brodie, he was named directly in the Gostisbehere rumours, and given the status of both players, it could make sense that he would have interest from the Flames as well.
Article

That said I would be more than glad to get Shaw assuming he can stay healthy.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #988
JTech780
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I don't mind Shaw, he works hard goes to the tough areas on the ice and is a good agitator.

The thing with Shaw though is that he can't stay on the ice, 68 game is the most he has played in one season in the last 3 seasons.

You also have to be weary of the fact that he just had a career year, so we would be buying high on him. Is he a 47 point player or is he the 25-30 point player he has been for most of.his career.

If we do get Shaw, Montreal has to add to the deal, significantly.
JTech780 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #989
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

for

Gaudreau + Neil
Yup, I think I am taking a break from this thread for my own sanity because things are hitting a new level of crazy in here. Hurry up 2019/20 season!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #990
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Edit: what jtech said.

We'd be buying high on Shaw, unless the flames think he's the 60pt player from last season not the 30-40pt player from every other season. Contract is a little front loaded though, so maybe he represents value in today's NHL; I've got no idea anymore.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #991
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw an article from the athletic pop up on my Google feed discussing possible defensemen for Tampa to target.
I don't subscribe, and certainly wouldn't ask to someone to post the entire article, but I'm curious if Brodie's name was mentioned?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #992
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shaw has had trouble staying healthy the last 3 years. 68, 51 and 63 are his totals of games played the last three years in Montreal.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #993
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I saw an article from the athletic pop up on my Google feed discussing possible defensemen for Tampa to target.
I don't subscribe, and certainly wouldn't ask to someone to post the entire article, but I'm curious if Brodie's name was mentioned?

T.J. Brodie or Travis Hamonic, Flames — The Flames are trying to create cap space, too, which is partly why both Brodie and Hamonic could be available on the trade market. They each have one year left on their deals — Brodie at $4.65 million AAV, Hamonic at $3.8 million — before becoming UFAs.My colleague Kent Wilson wrote a big breakdown of both defensemen, their performance and what they’d cost. Both Brodie, a left shot, and Hamonic play the right side, with Brodie considered better on his off side.
Brodie had a bounce-back season playing alongside Norris Trophy front-runner Mark Giordano, and could theoretically have similar success playing with Victor Hedman with the Lightning. Hamonic was good with Noah Hanifin last season for the Flames, so either is capable of a top-four caliber role.
The Flames, who haven’t selected in the second round since the 2016 draft, had just two picks inside the top 50 in the last three drafts, so they could use some picks or prospects. The Lightning have depth prospect-wise up front in their system, whether it’s Taylor Raddysh, Boris Katchouk, Mitchell Stephens, Carter Verhaeghe (an RFA) or Alex-Barre Boulet.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #994
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Treliving moves Frolik, Shaw seems like a solid replacement.

Shaw is 3.5 years younger than Frolik, with a slightly lower cap hit. He's also signed for three more seasons, while Frolik is only signed for one.

Shaw also had more points in fewer games than Frolik this season.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #995
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
These trade threads have always done a great job of separating the wheat from the chaff haven't they.

Quote:
Also speculation that Philly is closing in on a deal with the Habs

https://twitter.com/statuses/1138453804645568512

Last edited by Toonage; 06-12-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #996
The Cobra
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
I don't mind Shaw, he works hard goes to the tough areas on the ice and is a good agitator.

The thing with Shaw though is that he can't stay on the ice, 68 game is the most he has played in one season in the last 3 seasons.

You also have to be weary of the fact that he just had a career year, so we would be buying high on him. Is he a 47 point player or is he the 25-30 point player he has been for most of.his career.

If we do get Shaw, Montreal has to add to the deal, significantly.
Shaw is signed for 3 years, Brodie for 1. Montreal is not adding, much less significantly.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #997
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
All right, to keep alive the Lucic for Neil discussion, I have one trade proposal that would be hated by fans on both sides but would probably be good for both teams.

for

Gaudreau + Neil

From the Oilers' perspective, this gives them an actual scorer and playmaker who can play with McDavid. In turn, McDavid's speed gives Gaudreau more room to operate, and both will put up monster numbers.

This solidifies the Flames down the middle.

Tkachuk-Draisaitl-Lindholm
Bennett-Monahan-Czarnik (or UFA signing or trade Frolik and/or Czarnik for 2nd or 3rd line RW)

Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik (or UFA signing)

Mangiapane-Dube-Ryan

Play Lucic in place of Czarnik or Frolik when you need size/muscle/intimidation.

This gives the Flames at least two natural centres on each line, one right shot and one left shot. In addition, Monahan and Backlund are slotted properly in the lineup of a Stanley Cup contender. The Flames would also upgrade their size and muscle. Draisaitl couldn't do much with AHL wingers, but I suspect it would be a different story with Tkachuk and Lindholm.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #998
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

The fact that some peeps are justifying a trade that would bring Lucic here is projectile vomit worthy. Geezus guys...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #999
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, let's trade for an NMC player that would take away a spot for someone like Dube/Mangiapane/Bennett in the expansion draft.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #1000
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Yes, let's trade for an NMC player that would take away a spot for someone like Dube/Mangiapane/Bennett in the expansion draft.
Better yet, let's bail out our biggest rival.