Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #41
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

c.t. - how can you hate helvetica?

alright I've buckled. @russic

I'm adding you all ... and jobo I'm expecting real time updates from EA starting in July!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
Bumped Thread.

Anyways, was making a couple of updates on twitter and thought I'd create a calgarypuck hash mark (#cpuck) to indicate to other people on Twitter.

Then decided to see if there was anyone on CP on Twitter.

Seems like there's a couple CPer's on it.

Anyways, I'm a huge champion of twitter. (I can already see llama64 rolling his eyes from here) I use it on a constant basis for social and proffessional reasons. As someone once said, Twitter is sorta the water cooler for Freelancers, Entrepenurs and others in the Design industry.

I personally think it's a great tool for promotion and idea sharing. I've used it to promote corporate blog posts and also to connect with others in the city.

... alright the real reason I bumped this thread is beacuse there are a slew of greaer fans on my twitter feed and they're driving me bonkers...I need some back-up.

@ctoverdrive
Could I bother you to elaborate on that? How would that work?

Last edited by Russic; 03-06-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #42
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
c.t. - how can you hate helvetica?
It's not Helvetica I hate, it's the fanatical fans.

Quote:
Could I bother you to elaborate on that? How would that work?
Not a problem.

A lot of the web designers i know work in a bit of isolation. Either at home in their mustard stained pajamas (like myself) or as an in-house designers in the back corner of the corporate office with no like minded individuals to talk to.

So twitter with it's real time content streaming, allows many independent people to share their favorite links (stuff from new fonts, new plug-ins for developments, or new techniques) to the other ideas like their favorite song or another Twitter account they find hilarious or interesting (ex. #followfridays). And essentially have realitime conversations about like minded ideas or even the latest developments in the industry. A great example of the sorta Twitter Water color talk from this week was the redesign of Skittles corporate web site to a full on Social Media hub. (Essentially they changes their main web site to a link to their twitter, wiki, youtube and facebook fan page) It blew up and many people were talking about the big switch.

I personnaly tend to use it for feedback on some of the projects I chur out. Get some real time critiques from the community and to also ask for help when I've run into a wall. I've used it to get alot of .php help and even help when a couple servers have gone down. It's also a great way to learn about a new app or plugin before implementing into a client site.

So essentially it becomes a sort of virtual watercolor for web designers/entrepenuers/other designers.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c.t.ner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #43
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

That's very interesting, thank you for the info. That definitely seems like something I'd be interested in. I'm in that awkward pre-designer stage where everything is new and terrifying.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #44
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

As I stated in one of the other Twitter threads: @brennancreative

I'm in the very beginning stages of my Freelance designing career. I'm currently an in-house designer right now but looking to get out on my own in about a year.

I've just started using Twitter. It's fun. We'll see how useful it can be in the long run.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #45
StrayBullet
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrayBullet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #46
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

^^ wow. I realize it's intentionally annoying, but that may have hit the mark a little too well. I couldn't make it through.

Personally I find the other twitter attack video to be way more entertaining.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #47
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I confess that while I still don't totally understand it, Twitter is temping me.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #48
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I signed up for Twitter, thinking it might be better than it seems. Turns out I still don't care what people I can't even be bothered to talk to in person are doing.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #49
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I signed up for Twitter, thinking it might be better than it seems. Turns out I still don't care what people I can't even be bothered to talk to in person are doing.
What about news resources like CTV or the Calgary Herald? They tweet new stories and breaking news.

What about media figures like Rob Kerr, Scott Oake or Elliot Friedman? They, especially since the playoffs have started, have been providing tidbits and nuggets through twitter before other blogs and sites break the stories.

What about CPers like c.t.ner and russic? Wouldn't you like to know their sources for recent threads or learn about their near death experiences?
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #50
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I just signed up.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #51
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
What about news resources like CTV or the Calgary Herald? They tweet new stories and breaking news.

What about media figures like Rob Kerr, Scott Oake or Elliot Friedman? They, especially since the playoffs have started, have been providing tidbits and nuggets through twitter before other blogs and sites break the stories.

What about CPers like c.t.ner and russic? Wouldn't you like to know their sources for recent threads or learn about their near death experiences?
Rob Kerr is one I actually do find useful or at least remotely interesting. In fact if it wasn't for his I probably would have written the whole thing off by now.

I will add some new stuff, and I guess I could look up random CP people when I have some time.

I will give it a bit more time.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #52
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone wants to pretend they care what I think and or am doing. PM me for info.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #53
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Rathji

So is there a way to update and/or check twitter without using a browser. Possibly something that auto updates every X minutes. I keep thinking that Russic might go to the washroom and I might miss it.

Last edited by Rathji; 04-20-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #54
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
@Rathji

So is there a way to update and/or check twitter without using a browser. Possibly something that auto updates every X minutes. I keep thinking that Russic might go to the washroom and I might miss it.
If you are on a Mac: http://www.nambu.com/

Else: http://www.tweetdeck.com/beta/
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llama64 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #55
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying out Tweet Deck. Seems to be exactly what I want.

No idea if this twitter thing will be useful for much else, but I love it for flames games that I am stuck on the computer.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #56
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Twitter is a stupid poop mouth.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #57
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
@Rathji

I find I'll tweet about almost anything except standard bodily functions. For some reason I don't like hearing about people playing with their phone while they're on the can. I love twitter, but that's your personal time. Something must remain sacred.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #58
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I find I'll tweet about almost anything except standard bodily functions.
Notice how he added the qualifier "standard"? As a follower of Russic I can attest that he does twitter about non-standard bodily functions.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #59
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, I'm giving this a try. @89Cowboy
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #60
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel really dumb, but who is @smtorsch?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i don't get it , idon'tcarewhatyou'redoing , tweet , twitter , twooping