Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2024, 06:25 AM   #1181
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is why I think Flames fans need to give Conroy the benefit of the doubt on trading Tanev a few days ago rather than just before the TDL. Conroy has an eye for good hockey players. His player acquisitions have all been shrewd so far.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 09:06 AM   #1182
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...deadline-week/

Quote:
They made a late pitch to keep Tanev (three years at $4.5M?), but things were too far down the line. Much to the defenceman’s relief, that saga is over. I haven’t watched Artem Grushnikov enough to make an honest assessment, but a few things are clear. First, this is a player Calgary likes and targeted (once Dallas eliminated their top three prospects from conversation). Like Pittsburgh with Guentzel, the Flames valued a slightly older prospect than a 2024 first-rounder, basically choosing two seconds and a conditional pick, rather than a first for Tanev. I’ve heard quite a bit now that teams are not crazy about late first-rounders this June, and this is more confirmation. A couple scouts who know Grushnikov better than I do said his ceiling is a left-handed version of the player they traded — although they made it very clear he needs AHL time and should not be rushed.

Second, even though Tanev doesn’t miss many games, the Flames felt not trading him was walking a tightrope because no one eats pucks like he does. Third, if Edmonton, Toronto or Vancouver was going to get Tanev, they were going to have to blow Dallas out of the water. Things may have changed, but, at one recent time, the Canucks also offered a second and a prospect, while Toronto was offering multiple picks — although the best of them wasn’t in the immediate future. The Oilers were the team that I believe put a first-rounder on the table, but included a contract Calgary didn’t wish to take.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 09:36 AM   #1183
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Ok so that seems to verify the Ceci+1st scenario.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:39 AM   #1184
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Oilers were truly motivated to snag Tanev they would have added either Broberg or Holloway to the 1st + Ceci. The flames aren’t a charity, especially not for their most bitter rival.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 09:43 AM   #1185
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amen to that. I also like this trade, a little underwhelmed at first but think it's the right move.

The ONLY hesitation i have, and this is such a conditional that it's hardly worth thinking about, but it would have been nice to have even a late round 1st in the can to potentially use to move up and get Iggy if necessary. But that's a bridge you cross if and when you get to it.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 09:47 AM   #1186
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

We could always package our first with the Nucks first and something else (b prospect or additional pick) to move up in the draft. I do think the flames target Tij though and for good reason, take the name association away and I still think he’s in our top 3 targets of the 1st round.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:48 AM   #1187
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah I had read that Flames viewed Grushnikov as more valuable than a first round pick. The trade really comes down to hitting on their evaluation of him.
With Solovyov out, he is certainly going to get a some more looks on the Wranglers. Maybe even be bumped up to the next call up.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:48 AM   #1188
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Grushnikov is the best defenceman on the ice at this Wranglers game, and it's not all that close.
I actually thought Aspirot was the best Dman for the Wranglers... actually in hindsight I think the one shift where he blocked 3 or 4 shots in a row, lost his stick, threw a big hit, etc. may be skewing my memory of the game overall.

Grushnikov looked really solid as well though. Had one especially nice shot.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 09:49 AM   #1189
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course Brad just threw a bundle of middling picks their way and that's as creative as he got. He loves giving the scouts nothing to work with at draft time to bring vets in for a hopeless playoff run.

Honestly I like the Dallas package more than Edmontons rumoured one. But only slightly. Ceci is a player they could stomach. What it comes down to is the late first round being purportedly weaker and not helping the Oilers directly in any way. I prefer fuelling their opponents.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:49 AM   #1190
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Aspirot is walking himself to an NHL contract, would happily add him into the fold heading into next year.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:50 AM   #1191
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

This quote from the sportnet article doesn't make much sense:

"Second, even though Tanev doesn’t miss many games, the Flames felt not trading him was walking a tightrope because no one eats pucks like he does."

If they felt this way at the point they traded him, why not just sit him? You are trading him for futures anyway, so it has no impact on your on ice product. The Flames are icing the same team until the trade deadline either way so I hope this really wasn't a factor in deciding whether or not to wait another week.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 09:55 AM   #1192
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I've had to be a glorified Chauffeur of late and listen to more radio than normal. On Friday Jason Gregor had Craig Button on his show and the comment was if you trade Tanev to Dallas and they win a Cup. Your fans likely are not that angry. Trade him to Edmonton, and that happens, your fans are angry.

I won't be too angry if the Flames circle back to Tanev to try and bring him back in the offseason. I think he could help Kylington a lot in the next couple of seasons and there will be a hole on defence for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 10:10 AM   #1193
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This quote from the sportnet article doesn't make much sense:

"Second, even though Tanev doesn’t miss many games, the Flames felt not trading him was walking a tightrope because no one eats pucks like he does."

If they felt this way at the point they traded him, why not just sit him? You are trading him for futures anyway, so it has no impact on your on ice product. The Flames are icing the same team until the trade deadline either way so I hope this really wasn't a factor in deciding whether or not to wait another week.
Because you don’t do that to your professional athletes… especially when they are earning their next contract. Unless you’re a complete bush league organization. It would be absurd to sit him, he’d be pissed, and the room would be pissed.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:13 AM   #1194
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oilers are so hilarious. It's honestly a relief to me they didn't offer Holloway and a 1st or something and tried to wedge Ceci into the deal. Would suck to see them actually address an area of need with a quality player, because I think they would have been so much better with Tanev.

Have probably the two best players in the world for almost a decade, mostly refuse to add players and behave like normal contenders to - and then they sewer the picks and development of the assets they've refused to deal anyway.
They'll end up adding like Edmundson or Seeler or something for a 3rd and pat themselves on the back.

When you look at the deals where they actually pay up for quality in needed positions, like the Ekholm deal, they improve their team so much - thank goodness they sit on their hands most of the time.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:18 AM   #1195
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really surprised how the return has been almost universally sneered at and think the Flames didn't get much value. I think Conroy did okay here considering he was always aiming for 2nd plus a "B" prospect. To me, it was mission accomplished. I also think the prospect fits nicely in the system and definitely plays for the club in the future.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 10:24 AM   #1196
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they were aiming for a 1st actually.

But they saw a prospect they've liked for a while and given the quality of this draft decided a former 2nd rounder with nhl upside and a 2nd would be worth more to them than a late 1st alone seeing as the selections will probably be a total mix up after the top 20 this year.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:28 AM   #1197
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Really surprised how the return has been almost universally sneered at and think the Flames didn't get much value. I think Conroy did okay here considering he was always aiming for 2nd plus a "B" prospect. To me, it was mission accomplished. I also think the prospect fits nicely in the system and definitely plays for the club in the future.
This trade reminds me of the Toffoli trade. Too much value put into a late 1st by posters. They see trades and don't see a 1st and it's not good now because we didn't get the 1st. Once you are picking outside the top 20 or so the players picked start to go out of order and teams go with what their scouts think, and the draft lists start to look a lot different team by team. The odds of drafting an impact player 21-32 overall vs 52-64 overall might be 1% different and quite often you might get the guy you want at 30 at 45 or 50 due to other teams wanting different players.

We also need some dmen who aren't all about points and playing on the PP. I like the addition Grushnikov and IMO getting just a 1st is less than what Conroy added.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 11:35 AM   #1198
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I actually thought Aspirot was the best Dman for the Wranglers... actually in hindsight I think the one shift where he blocked 3 or 4 shots in a row, lost his stick, threw a big hit, etc. may be skewing my memory of the game overall.

Grushnikov looked really solid as well though. Had one especially nice shot.
think that was Duarte
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:38 AM   #1199
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we're going to look back on this trade as a very good one for the Flames. Conroy and the scouts seem to be quite adept at recognizing young talent.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:41 AM   #1200
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Yup and i think its being grossly overlooked by so many.

He fills a big hole in the organizations depth chart.

He is a Tanev type.

That's awesome. Hopefully the development side of the Flames do this thing properly and in 1 or 2 years he becomes a fixture as a 4/5 dman who blocks shots and kills penalties. He will have a role.