Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you take with pick #3 if you were the Flames GM
Levshunov 38 23.60%
Dickinson 39 24.22%
Silayev 5 3.11%
Catton 3 1.86%
Lindstrom 35 21.74%
Parekh 6 3.73%
Buium 1 0.62%
Eiserman 0 0%
Helenius 0 0%
Yakemchuk 1 0.62%
Iginla 33 20.50%
Greentree 0 0%
Brandsegg-Nygard 0 0%
Connelly 0 0%
Jiricek 0 0%
Chernyshov 0 0%
Hage 0 0%
Boisvert 0 0%
Sennecke 0 0%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2024, 09:40 PM   #41
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Anybody voting Iginla with the 3rd overall choice is voting with their hearts, not their heads.
I disagree to some extent. Yes, it’s a stretch based on the experts rankings but you would’ve said the same thing a month ago if someone had Iginla at 10 because of what the experts were saying then. He is young in this draft class, only 17 years old, and is stepping up when it matters most. That’s why he’s climbing quickly. His dad was taken 11th and in a redraft would easily go #1. His genetics and mentorship from his father cannot be overlooked. It’s a huge factor.

But yes, I’m voting with my heart to some extent. However, I don’t think it’s a detrimental choice. Taking him over Celebrini would be detrimental. Taking him over Dickenson or Catton probably wouldn’t be. But who knows.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 09:49 PM   #42
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I disagree to some extent. Yes, it’s a stretch based on the experts rankings but you would’ve said the same thing a month ago if someone had Iginla at 10 because of what the experts were saying then. He is young in this draft class, only 17 years old, and is stepping up when it matters most. That’s why he’s climbing quickly. His dad was taken 11th and in a redraft would easily go #1. His genetics and mentorship from his father cannot be overlooked. It’s a huge factor.

But yes, I’m voting with my heart to some extent. However, I don’t think it’s a detrimental choice. Taking him over Celebrini would be detrimental. Taking him over Dickenson or Catton probably wouldn’t be. But who knows.
It is totally 100% voting from the heart. Eiserman has one of the best releases of any forward prospect in the past decade, he has zero votes. Buium has #1 D man upside, he has zero votes. Guess how many votes Tij Iginla would have if his name was Tij Smith and his dad was not the greatest player in franchise history? Nothing I said about saying the people voting for Iginla at 3 are voting with their hearts is wrong, it's the truth. I mean that's fine, people can choose whatever they want, it isn't realistic though and I am certain the team won't decide who to draft by a sentimental pick, they will take the BPA.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 09:51 PM   #43
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

But also, the fact that Tij is an Iginla is obviously going to elevate him higher. Would Matthew Tkachuk be as good a player as he is if he was named Matt Smith and didn't grow up in the Tkachuk household? Don't think so.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:54 PM   #44
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
But also, the fact that Tij is an Iginla is obviously going to elevate him higher. Would Matthew Tkachuk be as good a player as he is if he was named Matt Smith and didn't grow up in the Tkachuk household? Don't think so.
Matt Tkachuk was ranked on here around where he was drafted and where he was ranked. If Matt Tkachuk was ranked 12-15 do you think people would vote on here as the #3 pick? Of course not.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:56 PM   #45
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I remember a *lot* of people being skeptical of Matthew Tkachuk because he played on a line with Marner and Dvorak in junior. He was ranked high ... but I think Iginla will be ranked similarly high when the final lists are posted.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:59 PM   #46
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I remember a *lot* of people being skeptical of Matthew Tkachuk because he played on a line with Marner and Dvorak in junior. He was ranked high ... but I think Iginla will be ranked similarly high when the final lists are posted.
We will disagree on that. I mean you may be right but I still don't see most draft guys including Bob Mackenzie having Tij Iginla in the top 10. I would have him 12. I believe Tkachuk was around 6 on most lists the year he was drafted.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:59 PM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's perfectly reasonable to pick Iginla, or anyone else on the list here
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:02 PM   #48
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It's perfectly reasonable to pick Iginla, or anyone else on the list here
Do you think it would be perfectly reasonable to choose Sennecke at #3? I mean you are right, anyone can choose whatever they want, it would not be reasonable for the Flames to have him 3 on their list though.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:02 PM   #49
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We will disagree on that. I mean you may be right but I still don't see most draft guys including Bob Mackenzie having Tij Iginla in the top 10. I would have him 12. I believe Tkachuk was around 6 on most lists the year he was drafted.
Yes, Tkachuk was between 4-6 but it’s clear now that he should’ve been #2.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 10:06 PM   #50
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s kinda like a popcorn….some pop…the rest don’t and end up at the bottom.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:32 PM   #51
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think it would be perfectly reasonable to choose Sennecke at #3? I mean you are right, anyone can choose whatever they want, it would not be reasonable for the Flames to have him 3 on their list though.
On April 2017 at this time, Makar was ranked around #10 by many, but had also been rising all year (much like Iginla). Makar would be a pretty good 2017 pick at #3 right now. No one can actually know how real scouts and teams see the prospects, but we do have what the ever-changing media says.

I still think Iginla is going to continue to rise in the draft rankings. He won't likely be chosen at #3, but things just as strange have happened.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:35 PM   #52
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
On April 2017 at this time, Makar was ranked around #10 by many, but had also been rising all year (much like Iginla). Makar would be a pretty good 2017 pick at #3 right now. No one can actually know how real scouts and teams see the prospects, but we do have what the ever-changing media says.

I still think Iginla is going to continue to rise in the draft rankings. He won't likely be chosen at #3, but things just as strange have happened.
I agree, nobody knows how things will pan out for prospects. I was just saying looking at the results that there are a lot of people voting with their hearts. I didn't say they shouldn't or it is even wrong to do so. Just an observation, certainly wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feathers which I have a knack for doing without intending to.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 10:44 PM   #53
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Zayne Parehk's scoring numbers are really abnormal. 96 points and finished 20 plus points ahead of the next guy on his team and lead them in goals. Normally I'd expect to see a really bad team, like Erik Karlsson on last year's Sharks. But they won 50 games and are a 2 seed that's in the second round of the playoffs.

With players like him scouts can get focused on what he's not good at right now and let it overshadow the things that he's exceptional at. I don't know if what he's doing scoring wise will translate to the NHL. But these guys with flaws might bust out. But with the right coaching maybe it's like Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, or Josh Allen not being at the top of their drafts but becoming the best player from those drafts a few years later.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post: