Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-25-2023, 09:14 AM   #15081
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Lying

https://twitter.com/user/status/1705684151847080156

Liars

https://twitter.com/user/status/1705684155261174147

Lie to you

https://twitter.com/user/status/1705684157396054080

And you bought it, despite all the warnings.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 09:18 AM   #15082
Zarley
First Line Centre
 
Zarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

There isn't really a financial rationale for Alberta to stay in CPP - I can't think of a rational argument against an APP other than doing a favour to the other provinces.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1705021521586954349
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:22 AM   #15083
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!
 
Bill Bumface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Exp:
Default

Should the residents of Mount Royal continue to contribute to the City of Calgary roads budget?

It makes no fiscal sense for them to do that. Pull out their contributions, and let the gold paving begin!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:25 AM   #15084
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!
 
Torture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
There isn't really a financial rationale for Alberta to stay in CPP - I can't think of a rational argument against an APP other than doing a favour to the other provinces.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1705021521586954349
I mean, if you had bothered to read the thread that you posted, you would know that while an APP might legitimately mean a small (like, very small) decrease in contributions that comes with a very large increase in risk and potentially very large set up costs.

So there's your financial rationale to stay in CPP...in the very thread you posted.

Last edited by Torture; 09-25-2023 at 09:27 AM.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:26 AM   #15085
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
There isn't really a financial rationale for Alberta to stay in CPP - I can't think of a rational argument against an APP other than doing a favour to the other provinces.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1705021521586954349

You believe Smith's numbers?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:26 AM   #15086
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!
 
Bill Bumface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Exp:
Default

This all seems like a continuation of the selfish ideals prevalent among conservative voters. Everyone only cares about how much tax they individually pay, or what's in it for them, while never recognizing the benefits they receive on the backs of others.

The great example already brought up in this thread is how all of the eastern provinces are subsidizing the post-secondary education of all of the young workers that move out to Alberta and then pay taxes here for their prime earning years.

I don't get what the end game is here. If we don't want to cooperate with the rest of Canada and help the rest of the country out every once in a while, what's our upside? A thriving and successful landlocked nation like Tajikistan, but with only half the population?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 09:28 AM   #15087
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
No matter how angry some of you are or how much text you write, it doesn't change the facts. Ask yourself how I knew what the broad results of the study would be before the study was released. The underlying facts that Albertans in aggregate pay more into CPP than they receive in benefits isn't really up for debate.

For anyone who actually understands how cpp was designed and it's history prior to CPPIB, it was obvious what the outcome of the study would be because it's axiomatic based on the contribution and benefits formulas.

You can argue that AB should subsidize other Canadians. And that CPP is a reasonable program where subsidies should exist. Those are valid positions are based on values and ideologies. And its plausible a plurality of Albertans feel that way. And if they do, then continuing with CPP makes sense.

But to howl about how the math is based on lies or that AB would necessarily be less responsible with the funds or that it's outside of AB's jurisdiction to unilaterally leave CPP...those are pretty disingenuous arguments imo
Which set of numbers do you use when you refer to as the Math. I suggest Toombes analysis be the basis of any rational discussion. Do you agree that should be the numbers we use?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:35 AM   #15088
Izzle
First Line Centre
 
Izzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Absolutely hilarious that this topic has exposed posters who openly and willingly admit to being gullible.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 09:43 AM   #15089
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Absolutely hilarious that this topic has exposed posters who openly and willingly admit to being gullible.
We should give them a blue checkmark.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:48 AM   #15090
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Exp:
Default

Did you know that having a blue checkmark raises your IQ 40 points, increases your pay 125%, and let's your personal musings on every topic known to man not only become primary scientific facts but become sage advice worthy of being on equal or better footing than the 'supposed' subject matter experts working in their fields for their entire careers?

It's true.
Ozy_Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:53 AM   #15091
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Absolutely hilarious that this topic has exposed posters who openly and willingly admit to being gullible.
Not that I disagree with you, but insulting people usually does not win hearts and minds.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:59 AM   #15092
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Not that I disagree with you, but insulting people usually does not win hearts and minds.
What, you think this is the time they'll finally come around, once all the facts are in front of them, if we just treat them nicely? Uh huh. That's likely.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:59 AM   #15093
sa226
#1 Goaltender
 
sa226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back in Calgary!!
Exp:
Default

If we've learned anything over the past 3 years, reasoning, logic and overwhelming evidence doesn't win them either. So insults are just easier.

Last edited by sa226; 09-25-2023 at 10:08 AM.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:00 AM   #15094
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!
 
BlackArcher101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Imagine thinking the conservatives will trickle down any savings in the APP in the form of decreased payments into it, or increased payouts. How naive can you be? Even if promised, that will just be a lie as well.
__________________
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:12 AM   #15095
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Imagine thinking the conservatives will trickle down any savings in the APP in the form of decreased payments into it, or increased payouts. How naive can you be? Even if promised, that will just be a lie as well.
I expect we would see decreased contributions with an APP. Thatís the whole point - put more money in the pockets of voters today. A lot of UCP supporters donít even think we should have public pensions -let people save for their own retirement, like I do.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If this day gets you riled up, you obviously aren't numb to the disappointment yet to be a real fan.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:24 AM   #15096
edslunch
Franchise Player
 
edslunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Exp:
Default

Quebec declined to join the CPP, in part because their favourable demographics would give them a better deal going alone. Their birth rate was 4, so the projection was an ever-increasing tax base. Sixty years later their birth rate is 1.5 and they need to contribute more than other Canadians to get the same return.

Imagine where Alberta could be in sixty years, or even thirty years, as the world de-carbonizes. As attractive as the mirage of immediate benefits may be our politicians should be looking out for the best interests of the province long into the future when it comes to pensions.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 11:02 AM   #15097
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
No matter how angry some of you are or how much text you write, it doesn't change the facts. Ask yourself how I knew what the broad results of the study would be before the study was released. The underlying facts that Albertans in aggregate pay more into CPP than they receive in benefits isn't really up for debate.

For anyone who actually understands how cpp was designed and it's history prior to CPPIB, it was obvious what the outcome of the study would be because it's axiomatic based on the contribution and benefits formulas.

You can argue that AB should subsidize other Canadians. And that CPP is a reasonable program where subsidies should exist. Those are valid positions are based on values and ideologies. And its plausible a plurality of Albertans feel that way. And if they do, then continuing with CPP makes sense.

But to howl about how the math is based on lies or that AB would necessarily be less responsible with the funds or that it's outside of AB's jurisdiction to unilaterally leave CPP...those are pretty disingenuous arguments imo
The issue with this line, is that it's fleeting. Today Albertans pay more than they received because of the demographics. But, what you get from CPP is dependent on your contributions, so if you contribute more today you'll receive more in the future. In other words...those higher contributions by Albertans will mean higher benefits for them when they start to draw the pension.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 AM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021