Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #1061
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
They are quoting things out of the document, I don't care what Fox news says, it's what is in the document that is scary.
I read the article. It's classic Fox News reporting of cherry-picking quotes out of a document to make it sound scary or ridiculous, while providing zero context surrounding the quotes or the reasoning behind them.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #1062
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
HELPING BLACK, LATINX, & MULTILINGUAL STUDENTS TO THRIVE IN GRADES 5-9

A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction is an integrated approach to mathematics that centers Black, Latinx, and Multilingual students in grades 5-9, addresses barriers to math equity, and aligns instruction to grade-level priority standards. The Pathway offers guidance and resources for educators to use now as they plan their curriculum, while also offering opportunities for ongoing self-reflection as they seek to develop an anti-racist math practice. The toolkit “strides” serve as multiple on-ramps for educators as they navigate the individual and collective journey from equity to anti-racism.
I don't see the issue here. I guess you could quibble with the language and maybe say that how math is delivered can be racist, whereas math itself isn't, but I suspect that's how most reasonable people would understand it anyways.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #1063
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
They are quoting things out of the document, I don't care what Fox news says, it's what is in the document that is scary.
It's not new:

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...cation/524199/

https://www.seattletimes.com/educati...-even-in-math/

https://undark.org/2018/12/31/in-sou...g-mathematics/

Nor is it "scary" unless you are literally frightened by thinking of anything through a different lens. The suggestion is simply to rethink the way math is taught and how formal mathematics and its teaching was formed at a time where white supremacy was the standard, and how the system could change by incorporating other cultures, their contributions to mathematics, and their systems of learning.

It's also much less scary when you dig into the context of "white supremacy" and how it is being used by this group. When we hear it, we think of nazis or the KKK, but that's not the claim being made here:

https://www.dismantlingracism.org/wh...y-culture.html

https://www.thc.texas.gov/public/upl...cy_Culture.pdf

Approach it with an open mind.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #1064
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It's not new:

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...cation/524199/

https://www.seattletimes.com/educati...-even-in-math/

https://undark.org/2018/12/31/in-sou...g-mathematics/

Nor is it "scary" unless you are literally frightened by thinking of anything through a different lens. The suggestion is simply to rethink the way math is taught and how formal mathematics and its teaching was formed at a time where white supremacy was the standard, and how the system could change by incorporating other cultures, their contributions to mathematics, and their systems of learning.

It's also much less scary when you dig into the context of "white supremacy" and how it is being used by this group. When we hear it, we think of nazis or the KKK, but that's not the claim being made here:

https://www.dismantlingracism.org/wh...y-culture.html

https://www.thc.texas.gov/public/upl...cy_Culture.pdf

Approach it with an open mind.

In the South African article, it talks about the lack of application of pure math to what is going on around them - ie - water issues, etc. I get that, but you need a good solid base in pure math to move on to engineering or applied science, where you can tackle problems that are relative to one's circumstances. Maybe math courses should include some perspective as to where pure math is applicable to the real world.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #1065
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sham trial is actually just so injurious to watch. The "lawyers" for the former president are making a total mockery of this. Susan Collins just tossed them a huge softball and they couldn't even muster a lie that was worthy... they just evaded it entirely and parroted back the accusation that they had not presented any worthy evidence by saying the house managers had not presented such evidence.

It's completely outrageous and they should be immediately disbarred. The legal institution in the united states has been shown to be a complete joke. Guiliani can still practice law too.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #1066
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
This sham trial is actually just so injurious to watch. The "lawyers" for the former president are making a total mockery of this. Susan Collins just tossed them a huge softball and they couldn't even muster a lie that was worthy... they just evaded it entirely and parroted back the accusation that they had not presented any worthy evidence by saying the house managers had not presented such evidence.

It's completely outrageous and they should be immediately disbarred. The legal institution in the united states has been shown to be a complete joke. Guiliani can still practice law too.
I think people calling it a “sham trial” is their only goal. It’s a legitimate trial, and one side is making a mockery out of it. I know you’re basically saying the same thing.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #1067
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The two senators from South Carolina (who have -1 brain cell between both) just submitted a question about the unrightousness of trying to punish a political opponent (and indeed calling this a sham trial.)

Trump literally ran on the idea of locking up hillary clinton. The boundlessness of their hypocrisy is even beyond that of Oiler fans.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #1068
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
The two senators from South Carolina (who have -1 brain cell between both) just submitted a question about the unrightousness of trying to punish a political opponent (and indeed calling this a sham trial.)

Trump literally ran on the idea of locking up hillary clinton. The boundlessness of their hypocrisy is even beyond that of Oiler fans.
And to put a cherry on top, Biden has been rightly quiet about this- its just congress doing their job. There is no punishment of a political opponent as Biden has wisely deferred comment as far as I have seen.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #1069
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Michael van der Veen is probably the stupidest person in all of existence.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:54 PM   #1070
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

LMFAO softball Q from Hawley, the most favourable senator possible for the defence team, regarding the constitutional legality of disqualifying someone from future office without removing them from said office (not a great question IMO, but has some basis for merit.) This question is essentially trying to lead the proverbial horses to water and give the repub senators something to point to and say thats why we voted to acquit.

van der Veen just says no then tries to make a very tangential jab about how one of the house managers misrepresented a Trump tweet that he had read verbatim.

You can't make this up. It's very likely that Trump would have actually been better defending himself. No doubt that even Giuliani could have mustered a better defense.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #1071
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the ####. A senator just asked the official question on record "is Donald trump the most pro-israel president ever?"

What is happening. Why. The flaming wreckage of america is laid bare for us all to behold!
Old 02-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #1072
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-edu...hite-supremacy

Wow, now math is racist. Too much focus on getting the right answer.
I skimmed through the PDFs, and tried to find where it said only white people could be racist as the Fox News article said. I could not find it, I think I found a section that they might be eluding to, where it says (paraphrasing) that we need to not reinforce the White dominant culture, but that was the closest and really not even close.

Generally the document seems like a good strategy, not just to avoid racism, but in general to have math be more of an accessible subject for everyone in school.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #1073
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I think people calling it a “sham trial” is their only goal. It’s a legitimate trial, and one side is making a mockery out of it. I know you’re basically saying the same thing.
I've been working on a new word.

Definition:
Quote:
noun: kangaroo court; an unofficial court held without authority, in order to try someone without good evidence, as guilty.
Definition:

Quote:
noun: koala court; an official court held with authority to try someone with good evidence of guilt, in order to find them not guilty.

etymology: an upside down kangaroo court (credit to afc wimbledon for help with this word)

Spoiler!

Last edited by #-3; 02-12-2021 at 03:15 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #1074
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Cruz has a question for both sides . . .

Standard for "incitement?"

Says Kamala also incited! Whataboutism!

Last edited by troutman; 02-12-2021 at 03:26 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:35 PM   #1075
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Cruz has a question for both sides . . .

Standard for "incitement?"

Says Kamala also incited! Whataboutism!
The questions from both sides have devolved to relatively bad faith IMO, but the republicans have put forward 0 meritous questions to at least some from the democrats.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #1076
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a good example, the questions have now just become arguments back and forth across the aisle made in the form of questions.

van der Veen is just using the time allotment in these questions to widdle down the willpower and focus of anyone listening with ridiculous babble that he's passing off as argument.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #1077
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

van der Veen is legitimately not even saying anything coherent or of use. He's just throwing out strings of words.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:56 PM   #1078
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
I skimmed through the PDFs, and tried to find where it said only white people could be racist as the Fox News article said. I could not find it, I think I found a section that they might be eluding to, where it says (paraphrasing) that we need to not reinforce the White dominant culture, but that was the closest and really not even close.

Generally the document seems like a good strategy, not just to avoid racism, but in general to have math be more of an accessible subject for everyone in school.

I guess the part that I disagree with is where in the document it says (paraphrased) that the focus shouldn't be on the right answer. We are talking about math here, not philosophy. There is only one right answer. simplified but 2 + 2=4 - period. There is no other answer. I agree that teaching methods could be changed, but the focus should always be on getting the right answer. And I find it quite a stretch to link focusing on the right answer with racism.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #1079
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I guess the part that I disagree with is where in the document it says (paraphrased) that the focus shouldn't be on the right answer. We are talking about math here, not philosophy. There is only one right answer. simplified but 2 + 2=4 - period. There is no other answer. I agree that teaching methods could be changed, but the focus should always be on getting the right answer. And I find it quite a stretch to link focusing on the right answer with racism.
My interprutation of that part was not to focus on the answer, but teaching the student how to arrive at the answer. Though I did just skim the document so my initial interprutation may be incorrect.

Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #1080
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
My interprutation of that part was not to focus on the answer, but teaching the student how to arrive at the answer. Though I did just skim the document so my initial interprutation may be incorrect.

I think you are correct on teaching the students how to arrive at the answer. But the document clearly says that the focus should not be on the right answer. And somehow out of that, they managed to link racism with the focus on the right answer. That's the part I object to.