Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2020, 11:20 PM   #101
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
He would be a top 6 winger on your team.
BOOM! lol
Old 01-29-2020, 11:24 PM   #102
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

He may not be a top-6 winger, but I think he could be an everyday NHLer.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:26 PM   #103
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really appreciate how heavy Buddy’s forecheck is. He retrieves pucks at a solid rate. Can’t do a whole lot with it once he gets it in tight, but he’s sent both Johnny and Sean in for breakaways in two games, so maybe there’s something there, at least for now.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #104
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He’d have a $3.5M contract by now.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #105
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He’d have a $3.5M contract by now.
And a letter
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:36 PM   #106
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Buddy has some skill. The added bonus is making Johnny happier!
Johnny is Happier?

Why did he contribute so little tonight?

The Flames need him to be miles better than the level he’s at right now for them to be a threat.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:43 PM   #107
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Robinson is a nice story. Not sure there's regular role for him in the NHL, but he'd be good to have as a Black Ace come playoffs.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:44 PM   #108
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Robinson can have 5 games up there to see if he can break through. What I love right now is Bennett re united with Backlund and things are trending the right way. Weird how that works.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #109
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean honestly, he's about the level of Alex Chiasson. I think he could be an NHLer the same way Chiasson has been, bouncing around the lineup and from organization to organization. He has some NHL elements to his game.

I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I hope they give him a real shot to show what he can do at this level. Nobody else has really done much with Gaudreau and Monahan yet, but Robinson has shown some chemistry. If not for a lack of finishing ability he'd have a few points already.

That early showing may fade as he keeps playing, but so far so good.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #110
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Robinson is not a top six player. I don't want to take anything away from him, I thought he played a good game, but he is not the solution. He missed a tap in, handcuffed Gaudreau a few times, and was not efficient defensively.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #111
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Robinson is not a top six player. I don't want to take anything away from him, I thought he played a good game, but he is not the solution. He missed a tap in, handcuffed Gaudreau a few times, and was not efficient defensively.
Agreed, seems like he could potentially work on the bottom six more limited, but he just doesn't have the overall quickness to be a top 6 player (not in the hands, the feet, or the mind.) Good energy though.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #112
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Agreed, seems like he could potentially work on the bottom six more limited, but he just doesn't have the overall quickness to be a top 6 player (not in the hands, the feet, or the mind.) Good energy though.
Great energy. He also was a good 'insurance policy' to step in if things got a little wild. In a perfect world he would be Ferland 2.0 but Ferland had a beauty shot, and moved laterally very well.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #113
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Robinsons hit last night was probably one of the prettiest hits I have seen in a long time
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #114
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

He’s only had two games and back to back! I’d like to give him a ten game evaluation. He certainly wasn’t hurting the team the last two games.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #115
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

One thing I saw Buddy do last night which I thought was wonderful and could be a neat little trick moving forward. I dont remember it entirely, however he helped rush the puck into the offensive zone and dished it off to someone else so the flames could get set in the O-zone. Then as soon as he dished the puck to someone else bolted off the ice and Chucky came on and then they had a 3 of their best forwards on the ice with sustained pressure. It was a very interesting little play that i wonder if it was coached, buddy thought Chucky would do better in sustained O-zone pressure, or he was just tired. Regardless, It was 100% a repeatable play.
Abatedmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #116
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abatedmean View Post
One thing I saw Buddy do last night which I thought was wonderful and could be a neat little trick moving forward. I dont remember it entirely, however he helped rush the puck into the offensive zone and dished it off to someone else so the flames could get set in the O-zone. Then as soon as he dished the puck to someone else bolted off the ice and Chucky came on and then they had a 3 of their best forwards on the ice with sustained pressure. It was a very interesting little play that i wonder if it was coached, buddy thought Chucky would do better in sustained O-zone pressure, or he was just tired. Regardless, It was 100% a repeatable play.
I think they did it twice, with one of the times leading to Monahan's goal that was waived off for no apparent reason.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:21 PM   #117
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone other than Robinson is on Gaudreau's line Flames would have won in regulation. I do like his chutzpah though.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:52 PM   #118
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I mean honestly, he's about the level of Alex Chiasson. I think he could be an NHLer the same way Chiasson has been, bouncing around the lineup and from organization to organization. He has some NHL elements to his game.

I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I hope they give him a real shot to show what he can do at this level. Nobody else has really done much with Gaudreau and Monahan yet, but Robinson has shown some chemistry. If not for a lack of finishing ability he'd have a few points already.

That early showing may fade as he keeps playing, but so far so good.
People keep selling Chiasson short. He's pretty good for a bottom line player, and can move up the lineup if needed.

I'm not saying it's impossible Robinson finds a way to stick, but since this is likely his "pumped to be here" / "need to show I belong" gear, well, he basically can't afford to have lower gears.

That said, he's old enough that it wouldn't shock anyone if he already had a veteran level of consistency. Maybe he's another Derek Ryan, who was I think 29 when he entered the league.

Obviously would be a huge surprise, but you never know. Would be a nice story, and the competition on the right side isn't much.

Last edited by Itse; 01-30-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #119
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
People keep selling Chiasson short. He's pretty good for a bottom line player, and can move up the lineup if needed.

I'm not saying it's impossible Robinson finds a way to stick, but since this is likely his "pumped to be here" / "need to show I belong" gear, well, he basically can't afford to have lower gears.

That said, he's old enough that it wouldn't shock anyone if he already had a veteran level of consistency. Maybe he's another Derek Ryan, who was I think 29 when he entered the league.

Obviously would be a huge surprise, but you never know. Would be a nice story, and the competition on the right side isn't much.

His hands are what are going to drown him. The guy can skate and has a GAF factor this team needs. He's great on the forecheck so maybe just getting people the puck will be his saving grace.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #120
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Chaisson is a clownshoe, rode on McDavids coat tails.