Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #1661
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read an article about a week ago mentioning that the tax revenue from weed in Canada didn't actually cover the drops that have been seen from tobacco and alcohol. So that exact portion of what people push for a reasoning of legalizing didn't work out.

However, there are other considerations like a growth in tax revenue from employees/employers and other health benefits from a reduction in alcohol and tobacco that it would still be a no brainer to legalize.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #1662
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I read an article about a week ago mentioning that the tax revenue from weed in Canada didn't actually cover the drops that have been seen from tobacco and alcohol. So that exact portion of what people push for a reasoning of legalizing didn't work out.

However, there are other considerations like a growth in tax revenue from employees/employers and other health benefits from a reduction in alcohol and tobacco that it would still be a no brainer to legalize.
Anecdotally, there are quite a few people who are still getting pee tested for weed at work, and I would be willing to bet its in the millions of people across Canada. That is a huge untapped tax base because companies haven't adapted to the mouth swab.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #1663
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
What percentage of those groups are judgey snobs?
A high one.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:57 PM   #1664
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

An update:

Special votes in New Zealand were released today, and while they significantly favoured legalization, it was not enough to swing the referendum. 50.7% is the final percentage of no votes.

I hope that with a result so close, the Green party will still introduce a bill to parliament, probably for decriminalization, and I hope that our suddenly too-centrist-to-take-a-position Labour government votes in favour. I guess that's the best we can hope for right now.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #1665
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Direct democracy sucks.

People don’t have the knowledge to effectively determine if legalization is the correct Solution. We elect people whose job it is to study these issues and make a decision based on the best available data

Referendums are not effective. Just to some polling and it’s close enough. 2/3rds of New Zealanders are against pot legalization. A referendum wasn’t required to get that information.
This is another example of why referendums are just a cop-out for politicians, rather than being effective. It really comes down to who can market their side best, rather than the voters being informed enough to make a conclusive decision.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #1666
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are you all using for desktop vaporizers?

Right now we have a herbalaire 2.0. It's been fine but I'm not a fan of the amount of metal in the parts that get hot.

I've found another Canadian model, the ExtremeQ, they say the entire pathway is glass. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this model?

And what about a source for good food grade silicone tubing for replacement whips? Am able to find food grade PVC easy enough but would really rather silicone.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #1667
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anybody into the cannabis drinks? I've had some really good ones, but they're pricey compared to pretty much every other way to consume. What's neat is they hit way faster than other edibles...like in 30 minutes versus two hours.

I enjoy them way more than a beer, but I think I'll go broke if I keep buying them at full price. Anybody seen any good prices on them anywhere?

The 10mg ones are good if you want the full hit right away.

2.5mg ones are good for sitting around drinking like you would a beer.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:39 AM   #1668
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

That's interesting - why would drinking it be different than eating it? Either way it has to be absorbed in your stomach?

That's good it comes in 10 and 2.5 so you can adjust to your sweet spot.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #1669
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Anybody into the cannabis drinks? I've had some really good ones, but they're pricey compared to pretty much every other way to consume. What's neat is they hit way faster than other edibles...like in 30 minutes versus two hours.

I enjoy them way more than a beer, but I think I'll go broke if I keep buying them at full price. Anybody seen any good prices on them anywhere?

Personally, I still find the 10mg too weak. Canada seriously ####ed the market with restrictive THC limits. A 30mg drink would be dynamite.

The majority of the market is still propped up by the heavier users, and the low cap and high price make the drinks fairly inaccessible to that group. The segment is growing from new users but IMO the THC cap will impact it's ultimate growth potential.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #1670
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That's interesting - why would drinking it be different than eating it? Either way it has to be absorbed in your stomach?

Hey, I don't know. I don't understand why the THC spray isn't as fast acting as the drinks. It doesn't make sense. The guy at the store had some fairly implausible explanation as to why it was the case, but I tuned him out because it sounded like mumbo-jumbo.

Try a couple out, though, and see what you think. What's great is socially drinking those like you would a beer, and you slowly get more intoxicated in a way very similar to a beer buzz, except with a fraction of the calories and no hangover.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #1671
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

It's all about the speed in which the substance gets to your small intestine with enough of the additional lipids needed for absorption. With edibles, they can affect you anywhere from 30 minutes-2 hours, depends how you ate it, how much you chewed, what else you ate, etc. The drink form just passes through the stomach more quickly.
That said, there are ACE receptors in your stomach that can bond with cannabis too, and some (minor) absorption happens before the intestine. Just not a lot.
There was some movement in the industry to look for ways to target absorption through the mouth (sublingual usually) to get around the lag time and make it closer to smoking. But it seems to have hit a dead end.

Edit: sorry, I have been out of the cannabis industry for a year now. But it seems that the OCS does still stock the sublingual strips, they just arent super popular yet. Probably because onset time is still ~10 minutes and you have to sit with it under your tongue. In addition to the THC limits as well. https://ocs.ca/collections/sublingua...ce_per_uom_asc

Last edited by Monahammer; 04-01-2021 at 11:48 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 11:56 AM   #1672
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Personally, I still find the 10mg too weak. Canada seriously ####ed the market with restrictive THC limits. A 30mg drink would be dynamite.

The majority of the market is still propped up by the heavier users, and the low cap and high price make the drinks fairly inaccessible to that group. The segment is growing from new users but IMO the THC cap will impact it's ultimate growth potential.
I can see how that would be frustrating for you. 10mg is fine for me. 15mg gets me quite messed up. I don't often take edibles beyond that, but I'll supplement with a vape or a bowl if I want to turn it up a bit. If it took me more to get where I want, I'd be pretty annoyed with the limit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #1673
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Skip the overpriced cannabis drinks. Grab yourself some xmg drops or yawn drops. Each drop is 0.5mg. It's an emulsified liquid so fast acting like the drinks. Drop your favorite bevy to the potency that works for you and enjoy. Way cheaper and can do alcoholic drinks too!
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IGGYRULES For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #1674
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYRULES View Post
Skip the overpriced cannabis drinks. Grab yourself some xmg drops or yawn drops. Each drop is 0.5mg. It's an emulsified liquid so fast acting like the drinks. Drop your favorite bevy to the potency that works for you and enjoy. Way cheaper and can do alcoholic drinks too!
Oh cool, didn't know about those. Thanks I'll pick some up today and give them a go.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #1675
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't find the drops blend into drinks as well myself (often they can just pool on the top if not mixed well) but the effect is usually pretty consistent! I do really like to just drop the drops on top of an oreo or something...

I hope everyone has an enjoyable long weekend.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #1676
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You using soluble drops? The oil drops don't work very well. The drops I mentioned work perfect.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #1677
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You using soluble drops? The oil drops don't work very well. The drops I mentioned work perfect.
Emulsified= oil or fat based solution. In fact the fats are necessary for THC absorption. So even "soluble" drops have some type of oil in them.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #1678
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Under the tongue with the drops, don’t mess around trying to mix it into anything. Get after it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #1679
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Emulsified= oil or fat based solution. In fact the fats are necessary for THC absorption. So even "soluble" drops have some type of oil in them.
not sure what you're arguing here. They're soluble and mix well contrary to your belief. I've gone through a few bottles of each and can confirm. I've also tried regular drops meant for under the tongue and they don't work worth a damn to mix.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/TheOCS/comm...WMdCWIBSHtuldQ
Old 04-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #1680
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
not sure what you're arguing here. They're soluble and mix well contrary to your belief. I've gone through a few bottles of each and can confirm. I've also tried regular drops meant for under the tongue and they don't work worth a damn to mix.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/TheOCS/comm...WMdCWIBSHtuldQ
not arguing, just saying they still contain oil- just less. And I appreciate that they've worked for you! I haven't had the same experience myself, even with the brands you've suggested.