Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2020, 09:38 AM   #4381
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
enjoyed the movie, but not sure how a series will play out... i think they needed to create, like wider trains, for true suspension of disbelief. Its one think to see Train to Busan as 'possible" but an entire society with a caste system developing? need a bit more room than a 3m wide train allows for ...

that said, it has Jennifer Connolly, so i'll give it a try
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:50 AM   #4382
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished The Last Dance this morning, and besides stating the obvious, I'm surprised that there was no mention of the Jordan second comeback with the Wizards or his exec "career". I guess it was all about his time with the Bulls, but still. Also, at the end it just states what happened at the end of the '98 season to several of the players, but it'd have been nice to hear from those players about their moves themselves. Pippen saying Krause was the greatest GM all time was surprising given the chief editor as well. Lastly, to me, not the best documentary with the timelines bouncing back and forth, but it was alright to hear Jordan being Jordan.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #4383
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved the Last Dance. I said it before but I was a Fan of the Mark Price Cavs and had a massive hate for the Bulls.

But over the span of many years you can finally take the shades of and recognize what Jordan and the Bulls were, admit there's no shame in your team losing to the Greatest team of all time and just respect and marvel at what Jordan and his merry men did.

People I gained a massive amount of respect for over the time watching this series:

Karl Malone (always thought he was a big arsehole but that final scene on the bus changed my mind instantly)

Reggie (Always loved him and his deadly shot with wonky mechanics)

Scottie Pippen (Primadonna, turned out he was just acting out like all middle kids do, respect.)

Steve Kerr (His background story about his family was crazy)

Things that I learned to hate even more:
The media. Bunch of man eating piranhas.

But yeah, Micheal Jordan. Best there is or was, can never say the best that ever will be because you just don't know. Lebron came close but I bump him.lower than Kobe because he used the super team build that ear marked his era.

I liken the Raptors title win more to the spirit of a Bulls title.

Sorry this post is all over the place but long and short of it, a look into what made Jordan the GOAT was wonderful insight into the man and the team. I couldn't ever fathom living the way he did under such a magnifying glass.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 11:46 PM   #4384
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Finale in the Last Dance was really undermined with not having anything from Karl Malone...who apparently declined any interviews for it. Still a shame.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #4385
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The Finale in the Last Dance was really undermined with not having anything from Karl Malone...who apparently declined any interviews for it. Still a shame.
Its interesting because he claims he was never asked. Did an interview yesterday on Pardon My Take.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #4386
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The producers claim they asked Malone and Bryon Russell many times to participate and they declined. In Malone's case they say he was asked through other parties.

For me, not that a big deal it didn't have Malone. That doc was all about Jordan, of whom I have never been a big fan. I am probably slightly more of a fan now, if for no other reason this wasn't some flowery portrait of what a great human being he is. It focused on the athlete and the sport and I have nothing but respect for how he competed and how he elevated those around him. Playing with Jordan didn't sound easy but seems like the rewards were worth it.

Also finished The Devil Next Door. Simply incredible and thought provoking and one of the best doc's I've seen. Can't recommend it enough.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 09:06 AM   #4387
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Kimmy Schmidt vs The Reverend was decent. It's another 'choose your own adventure' style movie, but doesn't do anything that interesting with the format. It's mostly just an excuse to pump a few more laughs out of Jon Hamm and Titus' characters, which are great in this, but pretty much all the other characters are boring and bad.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #4388
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree it was all about Jordan, but it was also about his rivals
Jordan v. Bird
Jordan v. Magic
Jordan v. Miller
Jordan v. Malone
And even more broadly it was about relationships with his coaches, father, rivals and team-mates.
That's the theme that cut through it all for me.
So to not hear from Malone....was disappointing.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #4389
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish there was more of a critical focus of Jordan. I know he had full control in the editing room but it seemed there could have been a more critical view of him to sort of give an all encompassing telling of the story. (I haven't had a chance to watch 9 and 10 yet).
Old 05-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #4390
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I wish there was more of a critical focus of Jordan. I know he had full control in the editing room but it seemed there could have been a more critical view of him to sort of give an all encompassing telling of the story. (I haven't had a chance to watch 9 and 10 yet).
Given Jordan did have control of the footage, I thought it did a decent job of showing Jordan's warts as well. It wasn't a total PR job that it could have been. Plenty of discussion on his a-hole attitude towards teammates, discussed his gambling, death of his dad, etc. I thought it was well done.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #4391
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Given Jordan did have control of the footage, I thought it did a decent job of showing Jordan's warts as well. It wasn't a total PR job that it could have been. Plenty of discussion on his a-hole attitude towards teammates, discussed his gambling, death of his dad, etc. I thought it was well done.
Well...See thats the problem with Editorial control. We cant really know that.

The show focused on some of Jordan's warts, you're right, but really only the ones already widely known about.

I'm not saying that we need some sort of no-holds-barred investigative expose or anything but there isnt much point in a focused documentary if the subject of that focus controls the content.

Its not as though there were cheerleaders with pom-poms cheering Jordan on....wait...there were....thats not really the point though.

Its just not showing us anything that wasnt already known, in which case it really is just a puff piece, albeit an interesting and well put together one.

My favourite part of the entire thing has been:

"Barack Obama: Former Chicago Resident"

I think hes known for having done some other things since then. I cant quite put my finger on what exactly, but things...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #4392
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I think hes known for having done some other things since then. I cant quite put my finger on what exactly, but things...
Or the

"Bill Clinton: former Arkansas governor"
Old 05-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #4393
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

The show focused on some of Jordan's warts, you're right, but really only the ones already widely known about.

I'm not saying that we need some sort of no-holds-barred investigative expose or anything but there isnt much point in a focused documentary if the subject of that focus controls the content.

Its not as though there were cheerleaders with pom-poms cheering Jordan on....wait...there were....thats not really the point though.

Its just not showing us anything that wasnt already known, in which case it really is just a puff piece, albeit an interesting and well put together one.

I guess if the choice is no doc at all or what we ended up with, I would choose what we ended up with. Not a whole bunch new for anyone who was a fan or who at least was around at the time, but there were a few good nuggets and I think it will have opened up the eyes of a generation that didn't experience Jordan. He really was a game changer.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #4394
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

All of this, plus Jordan being given the chance to explain everything away. What about others sides to these stories and his attitude and how it affected them? Michael's PR person, Estee Portnoy, was the executive producer for chrissakes. Horace Grant comes out today and say the documentary was BS. It was entertaining and frankly ahead of its time to have that much inside footage day to day in an era where this wasn't normal. However entertaining, it was still the equivalent of a Michael Moore documentary. I definitely found the more affectionate moments very well done - Michael and Kerr's fathers, the security guards.

What I found interesting was how "journalists" were buddy buddy with Jordan. To see Michael Wilbon, David Aldridge, and Ahmad Rashad either gushing over him, or some footage where they're just chilling, is annoying to see. I don't expect Larry Brooks combativeness, but at least keep an arms length from the people you report on. These guys came across as just dying to be in Michael's inner circle.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #4395
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

That's exactly what it was. Only sociopaths and narcissists would make a total PR job documentary because they would lack the appropriate empathy and understanding to know that no one would buy what you're selling.

This was well produced, but at the end of the day it was a PR documentary from the guy who owned all the footage to make the documentary come to life. As you said the bad stuff wasn't behind the scenes bad stuff or tell all bad stuff. It was things that were already out there that basically needed to be in lest it look like a "total PR job".

Still fun to watch, though.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #4396
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

PR job or not, I thought it was fan-effin-tastic.

The music, the personalities, the fashion, the cars, crazy-intense Pacers lady yelling "in your farkin face!"...it was an extremely entertaining look back at the 90s and a golden era of the sport when even those of us who don't like basketball (ie. this guy) were paying attention.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #4397
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Finally finished it last night, and I realize it's slanted and I wish they'd talk to more players like Malone but I loved it. It's entertainment and that series is very entertaining. I forgot how banged up Pippen was in that last game, the guy could barely move. And even though I got to watch MJ all those years in his prime it still blew me away to see again some of the moves and shots he made in his career, I mean the guy was just on another level.

Only annoying thing was thinking about what could have happened if they did keep most of the core around and go for #7. Maybe it's nicer to end things on a winning note, maybe the Bulls would have lost in the 1st round, but as a sports fan you feel kind of ripped off that we didn't even get a chance to see what could have been.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #4398
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think MJ even admitted the Last Dance wouldn't exactly portray him as a good person which it definitely does not.

For an indicator of what type of person he is I like to look at the company he keeps and from what I see he is usually alone. In that regard he reminds me of Floyd Mayweather - best in his sport but the only people around him are paid employees. Does he have any friends at all or can anyone stand him? Hard to say because every time I see him he has his paid entourage and no one else. MJ reminds me of the same.

I also thought it was interesting all interviews for the Last Dance were individual, meaning I don't think they would all be willing to get together and speak as a group. Rodman even said they never spoke off the court, and Horace Grant has now called out MJ for what he said in the Last Dance.

I found Steve Kerr to be the most honest and down to earth, he even admitted he initially didn't have much talent and had to work a ton to get to the NBA, and often conflicted with MJ (as most did).
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #4399
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
PR job or not, I thought it was fan-effin-tastic.

The music, the personalities, the fashion, the cars, crazy-intense Pacers lady yelling "in your farkin face!"...it was an extremely entertaining look back at the 90s and a golden era of the sport when even those of us who don't like basketball (ie. this guy) were paying attention.
This is me too.
Entertainment value was through the roof
But certainly an example of history being written by the victor.
Selfishly, as a Rockets fan back then, I wish there was just even SOME mention of the back to back championships.
That team just is criminally under-rated.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #4400
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I found Steve Kerr to be the most honest and down to earth, he even admitted he initially didn't have much talent and had to work a ton to get to the NBA, and often conflicted with MJ (as most did).
The clip of Jordan covering his mouth telling Kerr to be ready in the 97 Finals was laugh out loud funny to me. Jordan trying to be as discreet as possible and Kerr responding like “YA MIKE, I’LL BE READY FOR IT FOR SURE!” I really do love Steve Kerr
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post: