Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best player to wear this jersey?
Jamie Hislop 4 1.75%
Mike Eaves 2 0.87%
Jiri Hrdina 98 42.79%
Marc Habscheid 0 0%
Wes Walz 0 0%
Bob Sweeney 1 0.44%
Todd Hlushko 0 0%
Hnat Dominichelli 2 0.87%
Jason Botterill 0 0%
Sergei Krivokrasov 2 0.87%
Chris Clark 18 7.86%
Chris Simon 14 6.11%
Eric Godard 2 0.87%
Rene Bourque 63 27.51%
Blake Comeau 0 0%
Lance Bouma 14 6.11%
Milan Lucic 9 3.93%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Covid Jersey Vote - Best #17 Flames History

#1 - Turek (Riggin)
#2 - MacInnis (Commodore)
#3 - Phaneuf (Musil)
#4 - McCrimmon (Bouwmeester)
#5 - Giordano (Albelin)
#6 - Housley (Sarich)
#7 - Mullen (Brodie)
#8 - Risebrough (Bure)
#9 - McDonald (no vote)
#10 - Roberts (McGrattan)
#11 - Backlund (Yelle)
#12 - Iginla (Loob)
#13 - Gaudreau (Titov/Cammalleri)
#14 - Fleury (Nilsson)
#15 - McCarthy (Simon)
#16 - Chouinard (Stillman)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

So many names!

Guys I'd look at would include ...

Hyslop - first trade, and was my high school gym teacher for two weeks
Eaves - good player, didn't play enough here
Hrdina - great player added to a great team
Clark - heart and soul player
Bouma - ditto

But it's Hrdina for me. The depth he added by scoring on a third line for that cup championship team was a difference maker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

But man the number of guys that could have been or should have been.

Excitement for adding Dominichelli with his junior history with Iginla, Botterill, Krivokrasov, Comeau.

Didn't even mention Rene Bourque ... talented, productive, but so frustrating.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was just about to say that Bingo. Bourque had an interesting career here where he was constantly "Hot and Cold" and just kinda grew to accept he could be great and completely invisible.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Bingo doesn't mind, but looking at the voting so far, I've been thinking- what would a roster made up of these players look like? I mean clearly by the time we are done the Alltime jersey winners would be a stacked team that would dominate the league year after year. but what about the 2nd place team- would they be competitive? could they challenge for the playoffs? the presidents trophy? a Stanley cup? stay tuned

I will post the rosters and depth charts as they evolve. Please no-one try to predict who will fill the rest of the spots, those numbers still need to have their votes play out! and remember this is based on the players tenure as a Flame- voting for future St. Louis' doesn't help the task

First Team

Roberts Iginla

Gaudreau Backlund Mullen
Chouinard Fleury

McCarthy Riser Lanny

MacInnis Giordano

Housley McCrimmon

Phaneuf

Turek

Ok- so these team will be pretty stacked by the end. the D is already absurd, and will get better. the goaltending , we know help is on the way. dont' fuss about the forwards too much- likely several of these guys aren't in the lineup by the time the dust settles. Flames have always had a RW-LW balance issue (although flipped now!) that will need to be sorted out. Center help is coming. I like the idea of the 2 powerforward wings together and the two smaller Americans but could definitely switch those up

Second Team
Titov/Cammy Nilsson Loob

Stillman Bure

Simon Yelle Donovan

BIGERN

Brodie Musil

Bouwmeester Sarich

Albelin Commodore

Riggin

First line is certainly still high end, middle 6 has some ok pieces but will need improving. D is reasonably balanced- you could mix these guys in various ways. it will improve and will need to for this to be a true contender

Last edited by looooob; 04-12-2020 at 09:54 AM.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to lose my old guy membership card here, but I don't think I can vote Hrdina- I mean I really really liked the guy, came over as an older veteran and a stabilizing piece of the cup team. in his 5 year NHL career won 3 cups. but he was mostly injured during the 89 cup run and had only really the one big season
also considered : Clark, Hislop, Eaves

Bourque was everything Hrdina was not- undisciplined, frustrating etc. but had a longer tenure and was really one of the Flames top players for a few seasons. I'm not a huge Bourque fan but I'm going to vote for him
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #7
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Yeah this is a number with a lot of players who could have been more.

Had the 84 Olympics been in Calgary and Hrdina defected as a 26 year old, he would be the guy. Unfortunately he was 30 when he came over at a time where most guys didn't last past that age.

Bourque was good his first two years and scored a good amount of goals every year. I think he would be remembered better had Sutter not given him a 6 year contract.

Chris Clark is another guy Sutter got rid of too early. Should have kept him over Donovan...or better not sign Amonte. Chris Clark scored 10 goals a year regardless of his ice time. I still laugh at Killer Carlson's hatred of him. But I don't think Clark would be the guy unless he played 10 years for the Flames.

I vote Bourque similar reasons to why Loooob did.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #8
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jiri Hrdina by a country mile sad when he was gone

Last edited by calgaryred; 04-12-2020 at 10:27 AM.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
doublej_23
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I had to go with Bouma, he gave my oldest a puck at his first NHL game in Vancouver and he's been all about the Flames since.
doublej_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doublej_23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I'm going to lose my old guy membership card here, but I don't think I can vote Hrdina- I mean I really really liked the guy, came over as an older veteran and a stabilizing piece of the cup team. in his 5 year NHL career won 3 cups. but he was mostly injured during the 89 cup run and had only really the one big season
also considered : Clark, Hislop, Eaves

Bourque was everything Hrdina was not- undisciplined, frustrating etc. but had a longer tenure and was really one of the Flames top players for a few seasons. I'm not a huge Bourque fan but I'm going to vote for him
Full agreement with Hrdina. 1 assist in 11 playoff games over 3 years. He was a nice guy, good for a funny quote, and a decent hockey player that would’ve been more impactful if he came here earlier. Brian MacClellan played more in 1989, was more productive in that “veteran role” in that same time period for 3 seasons, and he is on no ones radar for #27.

Can’t give it to Bourque though, for the goal scoring ability he had, he was also all kinds of clueless, highlighted by the time he skated around with a fully broken stick for about 10 seconds and refs after yelling at him finally had to call a penalty on him.

Clark is up there. Underrated on the 2004 team, goals tying the Canucks 4-4 to complete the comeback in Game 6 round 1, and got the Flames started in Game 6 vs Tampa were memorable, and played an honest game throughout.

I was in awe that we could trade the worst player in the Flames history (Hulse)and it netted us a legit player in Sergei Krivokrasov, and he was talented at other stops, so that had me excited, for the cup of coffee he had here. Lost him in the expansion draft I believe at the end of that year.

I’ll go off the board here. Godard. Became the heavyweight champion of the league here, for a few seasons, after his defeat of Boogaard, and played himself off the team because he was too good of a fighter and no one in the division wanted to engage him. (Huggy bear Stortini, for one, after his first encounter)

Last edited by browna; 04-12-2020 at 11:56 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #11
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I was a big Godard fan.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to consider tenure and contributions to the team at their time. I boiled it down to 3 options:

Jamie Hislop (actually was a decent player for a few years in the early 80s)
Jiri Hrdina (Good player on a stacked team, but didn't play for too many games here)
Rene Bourque (Maddeningly inconsistent, but he could score goals when he gave a crap)

I went with Bourque for tenure and the fact he was consistently one of the better goal scorers on the teams he was on. 3 straight years with 20+ goals and flirted with 30 goals a couple of times.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #14
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Sure, Bourque and Hrdina and Hislop are all probably better choices, but as the President of the Super Secret Milan Lucic Fan Club, (1) I've said too much, and (2) I voted for Looch.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #15
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm going with Bouma. Liked him as a player, was part of the awesomely fun 14-15 season.

Surprisingly is the most 'capped' Flame on the list (unless I messed up somewhere) at 304 games.

Bourque was too frustrating to go with. Glimpses of everything we wanted and needed matched with so much we hated.

Chris Clark was a reliable Flame I hated losing after the Cup run. That 4th goal against the Canucks in Game 6 was just an electric moment.

Too young to remember Hrdina.

Always loved Hlushko's name, but that's about all I really have to say about it.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #16
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough one, seems all the great #17's were before my time so had to go with Bouma
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #17
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Tough one, seems all the great #17's were before my time so had to go with Bouma
I wouldn't say any of the guys who wore #17 were "great". That's kind of what makes this such a tough one.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #18
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I wouldn't say any of the guys who wore #17 were "great". That's kind of what makes this such a tough one.
This is the case with most numbers so far.

I really don't know which way to lean for this one.

My gut tells me it's bourque. For all his warts, he produced goals and was a legit top 6 player for most of his time in Calgary. 21 goals in his first 58 games.

But the team also had no playoff success with him.

Hrdina was a member of that cup winning team but was maybe a shallow contributor.

Clark was like a mix of the two. Big contributor to a cup final run, while not being a big goal producer.

Godard was a big favourite but at least with The Sandman there was games played to point to. Godard had no hockey skills.

I will keep thinking about it but I'm leaning towards Clark.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #19
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sergei Krivokrasov should win this on name recognition alone.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #20
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted for Hrdina. I figure it's good to make a mod happy.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post: