Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #581
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
The Eagles fan in me wants Dak to get $35 million plus a season.

Hell the Eagles fan in me says $50 million a season.
Dak is like 6-3 against the Eagles in his career, and one of those losses came when he gave way to Mark Sanchez at halftime in a meaningless season finale. I don't think he's a great QB but I'm not sure us Eagles fans can talk too much #### there.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #582
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Dak is like 6-3 against the Eagles in his career, and one of those losses came when he gave way to Mark Sanchez at halftime in a meaningless season finale. I don't think he's a great QB but I'm not sure us Eagles fans can talk too much #### there.
Still it's always nice to see Jerry repeat the cycle of paying a premium for good, not great teams. They did a good job getting out of cap hell from overpaying his guys like Romo, Bryant, Austin, Lee, Witten only to essentially do it all over again with this edition. Maybe Garrett was holding them back and McCarthy can be a difference maker or maybe the reality is that it's Jerry who's holding them back.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #583
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The new stadium in LA

Old 05-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #584
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's just an illusion but the lower bowl seating looks very flat and would have terrible sight lines.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #585
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't imagine this is going to go over well with Brees' black teammates.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1974611
Old 06-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #586
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can't imagine this is going to go over well with Brees' black teammates.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1974611
He apologized this morning but I have no idea why he decided it was a good time to double down on his feelings of the kneeling during the anthem.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #587
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He apologized this morning but I have no idea why he decided it was a good time to double down on his feelings of the kneeling during the anthem.
Yeah, just bizarrely tone-deaf. I also think it's one of those things he's going to have trouble walking back without some kind of accompanying action.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #588
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

"kneeling = disrespecting the flag" is such a weird way of thinking about it too. I mean, it's really hard in general not to roll eyes as a European when you see that excessive patriotism and pathos that Americans love to display before every sports event, but you'd at least expect a player like Brees, who's been a part of NFL locker rooms for a long time now, to see past all that and see the kneeling for what it was.

either way, congrats to the PR adviser on a great apology.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #589
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, just bizarrely tone-deaf. I also think it's one of those things he's going to have trouble walking back without some kind of accompanying action.
He's a year from retirement so it's not nearly the disaster it would be for a younger player. He supposedly addressed his teammates on a video call this morning. These players are pros so I imagine it will have little effect on the team's performance but I imagine a lot of players may never look at him the same again. I'm surprised of all players he would be that dumb as it's not a lot different than the Vic Fangio comments that racism isn't a problem in football. Best to keep your mouth shut as I don't understand how a white man could declare racism in his sport doesn't exist if he's never worked in it as a colored person.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:35 PM   #590
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After watching Malcolm Jenkins yesterday, I don't know if Brees can come back from this.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #591
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
After watching Malcolm Jenkins yesterday, I don't know if Brees can come back from this.
I'm not sure as he just signed with the team and is new to that locker room while most players have known Brees for years. Maybe if he played on the offensive side of the ball it may be an issue but seeing he's on the defensive side they don't really have to interact that often.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #592
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The new stadium in LA

Will they even fill the lower bowl for Chargers games?
Old 06-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #593
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure as he just signed with the team and is new to that locker room while most players have known Brees for years. Maybe if he played on the offensive side of the ball it may be an issue but seeing he's on the defensive side they don't really have to interact that often.
Malcolm Jenkins is incredibly well respected, and a leader of the teams he has played for. His voice carries a lot of weight, even with new teammates.

He has been a teammate of Brees in the past. You could see the hurt and anger in his eyes yesterday.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #594
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He's a year from retirement so it's not nearly the disaster it would be for a younger player. He supposedly addressed his teammates on a video call this morning. These players are pros so I imagine it will have little effect on the team's performance but I imagine a lot of players may never look at him the same again. I'm surprised of all players he would be that dumb as it's not a lot different than the Vic Fangio comments that racism isn't a problem in football. Best to keep your mouth shut as I don't understand how a white man could declare racism in his sport doesn't exist if he's never worked in it as a colored person.
He's had this stance forever though. He said it at the height of Kap's protest and other QB's like Dak Prescott have said the same. This isn't new for him, not sure why this is suddenly a big problem now. He said he doesn't agree with disrespecting the flag. Never said others couldn't kneel or do whatever, he's talking about himself. If people want to get upset about it that's their problem. The guy also donates millions of dollars to help the City of New Orleans which is majority black so I'd argue he's played an integral role at uplifting black youth, something that actually matters more than posting a black sqaure on insta or other slacktivism.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #595
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jake Fromm coming from out of nowhere to take the heat off Drew Brees.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1268608999122968577

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 06-04-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #596
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Jake Fromm coming from out of nowhere to take the heat of Drew Brees.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1268608999122968577
I'm not defending what he said but it's kind of spiteful for a casual acquaintance do something like this. If you don't like what he texted you then tell him that but why post it out there to destroy his career and livelihood? Are we at the point now where you can't text anyone in confidence anymore?
Old 06-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #597
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not defending what he said but it's kind of spiteful for a casual acquaintance do something like this. If you don't like what he texted you then tell him that but why post it out there to destroy his career and livelihood? Are we at the point now where you can't text anyone in confidence anymore?
Maybe don’t say stuff like that to a casual acquaintance as you put it. Even better if you don’t say stupid sounding racist stuff it won’t even come up. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #598
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Maybe don’t say stuff like that to a casual acquaintance as you put it. Even better if you don’t say stupid sounding racist stuff it won’t even come up. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
Even if he has underlying issues he was saying it in jest and let's not pretend like any of us have not kidding around with friends that if put out in public may not look great. Is the world really a better place if this guy loses his livelihood because of a few text like this in confidence? Maybe he's not a good guy but hopefully Ashley never makes a mistake in front of an acquaintance and loses everything because of it. Brees said his comments to the media so I have no issues with the backlash but this guy was just having a private conversation with an acquaintance and it really shouldn't be any of our business.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-04-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:24 AM   #599
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
He's had this stance forever though. He said it at the height of Kap's protest and other QB's like Dak Prescott have said the same. This isn't new for him, not sure why this is suddenly a big problem now. He said he doesn't agree with disrespecting the flag. Never said others couldn't kneel or do whatever, he's talking about himself. If people want to get upset about it that's their problem. The guy also donates millions of dollars to help the City of New Orleans which is majority black so I'd argue he's played an integral role at uplifting black youth, something that actually matters more than posting a black sqaure on insta or other slacktivism.
Well as long as he's consistently held a stupid, racist stance on the topic, then it's okay.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #600
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well as long as he's consistently held a stupid, racist stance on the topic, then it's okay.
Except it's not a racist stance. Like a lot of Americans he strongly considers anyone kneeling during the anthem as disrespecting the flag. If anything he is guilty of being ignorant to why the players were kneeling.