Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2020, 07:16 AM   #261
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Texans (rightfully) get all of the negative attention for their personnel moves, but the Rams have been brutal too.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:20 AM   #262
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The Texans (rightfully) get all of the negative attention for their personnel moves, but the Rams have been brutal too.
True...but i think a lot of the Rams issues are cap related rather than a complete dufus playing fantasy football...and poorly at that.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:47 PM   #263
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Bill Barnwell just roasts the Texans deal.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...n-failure-rams
I've been looking at some of the WR talent in this draft. You may be able to get a very talented WR in the 2nd round of this draft like Denzel Mims. Cooks is only 26 but he's got concussion issues and is making $12 million a season for the next three seasons. If Cooks is healthy it's probably okay for them but they could have saved a lot of cap space by drafting a WR that could come in and play on a rookie contract.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-11-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #264
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I've been looking at some of the WR talent in this draft. You may be able to get a very talented WR in the 2nd round of this draft like Denzel Mims. Cooks is only 26 but he's got concussion issues and is making $12 million a season for the next three seasons. If Cooks is healthy it's probably okay for them but they could have saved a lot of cap space by drafting a WR that could come in and play on a rookie contract.
Ravens GM DeCosta said you can probably find a 5th round WR in this class that can have an immediate impact ... the class is that deep.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #265
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Ravens GM DeCosta said you can probably find a 5th round WR in this class that can have an immediate impact ... the class is that deep.
Yeah, Howie Roseman basically said the same thing when asked why the Eagles didn't go after a WR in FA.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:08 AM   #266
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Reasonable minds apparently can differ on whether it’s OK for guys like Dak Prescott and Dez Bryant to go out (despite an order to stay home) and work out at a public gym (despite an order that it should be closed). It’s hard to imagine reasonable minds differing on this.

According to TMZ.com, Prescott hosted a birthday party for a friend on Friday night. At one point, thirty people attended. And one of the photos posted at TMZ.com shows in the background a cluster of bodies far closer than six feet apart. The photos also include a table set for a meal that would have entailed everyone sitting elbow to elbow.

Also present for the antisocially-distanced birthday party was Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-party-for-30/
Old 04-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #267
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought Prescott had more common sense, but hanging around a mental wizard like Elliot might have rubbed off on him.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:47 AM   #268
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I realize that plenty in the 20-30 year old age group aren't taking the pandemic seriously but you would have to think that Prescott would have handlers that would explain to him that a birthday party bash probably isn't a good idea. Someone needs to explain to these clowns that it's not only seniors that are dying from this as it's middle aged people with young kids;

Quote:
Anthony Causi, a highly skilled and popular sports photographer for the New York Post who covered the city's teams for 25 years, died Sunday from the coronavirus. He was 48.

Causi was married with two young children. Many of New York's professional teams and several players posted messages on Twitter expressing sadness, condolences and paying tribute to him.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...es-coronavirus

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-13-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:31 AM   #269
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Here's the thing about the Texans moves. If you knew Hopkins was angling for more money and was a holdout risk, I understand the idea of trading him because you don'y want too much of your cap tied up in one WR. Championship teams don't spend big for one player at that position.

I also think Fuller, Cooks, Cobb, Stills and Fells is a very good WR/TE group. You have some serious injury risk there, but I'm OK with taking risks and those are some highly skilled players.

But where it falls apart is the execution. Guys like Cobb and Stills are being paid too much (and Cooks too arguably) so you still have a ton of money tied up in the position.

And instead of rebuilding their draft capital in the Hopkins trade, they take on an overpaid David Johnson.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 09:50 AM   #270
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Former Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks quarterback Tarvaris Jackson died Sunday night in a car crash. He was 36.

A Tennessee State spokesperson confirmed Jackson's death to ESPN. Jackson was the Tigers' quarterbacks coach in 2019 after spending a year as a quality control and quarterbacks coach at his alma mater, Alabama State.
https://tv5.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...t?platform=amp
Old 04-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #271
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1249791634885226498

signing RBs to such long-term deals is always a risk, but if there's one who deserves it, then it's McCaffrey.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #272
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's only 23 years old so this deal locks him up for what's left of his prime years. My only worry is that he has the heaviest workload in the league and as we saw with LeVeon Bell that type of workload takes its toll as he looks like he's near the end of his career at only 28 years old (I bet he misses that Steelers OL now).
Old 04-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #273
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

4 years is long term? Ok.

I wonder if on the shorter than Zeke deal he took he still managed to pass the 50 mil guaranteed that Elliott took home.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #274
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
4 years is long term? Ok.

I wonder if on the shorter than Zeke deal he took he still managed to pass the 50 mil guaranteed that Elliott took home.
well it's on top of the one year he still has on his rookie deal, so I guess you can call it a 5 year deal. Runs until 2025.

we'll see how long he can keep up the production. RBs often slow down when they're closer to 30 than 20 and take a lot of beating, so I'm always a bit skeptical when RBs sign big deals. Guys like Gurley, Johnson and Freeman haven't exactly helped change my mind there either.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #275
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Yeah but they’re no Christian Great White Hype McCaffrey. When he starts slowing down they’ll just convert him to slot receiver and he’ll make Edelman look like Eddie Royal.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:48 PM   #276
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still kinda shocked Belichick didn't trade every asset he has for McCaffrey. Basically the best of Danny Whitehead, Rex Burkhead, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman in one guy.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #277
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

McCaffrey is truly a guy who deserves a big pay day. Fantastic player and one of the few good players on that offense right now. take him over Zeke anytime.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #278
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
LOL!!!Hahahaha....from a restaurant in Chicago.

Made me laugh
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DropIt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #279
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Denver Broncos Pro Bowl linebacker Von Miller has tested positive for the coronavirus, he told 9NEWS in Denver on Thursday.

"It's true," Miller told 9NEWS by phone. "I've just been here in the crib, and I started to get a little cough. You know, I have asthma, and I started getting a little cough a couple days ago. My girlfriend ... she told me when I was asleep, she said my cough, it didn't sound normal."

"It's crazy,'' Miller told 9NEWS. "I have to be quarantined here at the house. There's not really any medicine or anything like that. Dr. [Steve] Geraghty told me if my breathing changed ... honestly, I'm still new to this. This is like an hour [since learning I tested positive]. I'm not sure what's going on, but I tell you what, I'm in good spirits. I'm still Von. I'm not feeling sick or hurting or anything like that."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ve-coronavirus
Old 04-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #280
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Detroit Lions general manager Bob Quinn has started having conversations about potentially trading the No. 3 pick in next week's NFL draft.

While he declined to say whether the club has offers on the table from other teams, he made it clear Friday he is open to moving down from the pick. And if possible, he'd like to have his mind made up before the draft begins Thursday night.

"I've had a few of those conversations over the last week or so. Had a few of those conversations, honestly, as far back as the combine," Quinn said. "And then there will be more substantive talks next week if people are interested.

"I think the way, the world we're living in, with this being virtual, I think a lot of those things, if I'm going to do something, I think we'll have a pretty good idea Thursday afternoon of kind of where we stand. I don't think I'm going to be making a huge decision on trading the number three overall pick while I'm on the clock while I'm virtually talking to our head coach and our other personnel."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...bob-quinn-says

Assuming Burrow and Young are off the board...who trades up for Okudah or Simmons or Tua?