Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 AM   #201
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure the Chargers are long for that market anyway. Rams at least have a fan base in that city and the Raiders (the top team in that market) will be just over 4 hours away. I can't see the Chargers ever filling that new stadium. In fact I think it could be pretty ugly.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #202
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

cant see how the Chargers would have been worse off staying in SD. the move to LA has been a disaster which looks good on Spanos to be honest.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #203
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rams new primary logo makes you think of Chargers.

But the Chargers themselves should not be in LA. They gotta go back to San Diego ASAP. You guys are right that it's gonna be ugly for them in the new stadium.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #204
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The Rams new primary logo makes you think of Chargers.

But the Chargers themselves should not be in LA. They gotta go back to San Diego ASAP. You guys are right that it's gonna be ugly for them in the new stadium.
I don't know why the NFL doesn't investigate moving them to St. Louis. The city approved $150 million stadium for Kroenke with the state also kicking in money. The NFL wouldn't get a free stadium but at least it's better than embarrassing the league with an empty LA stadium. Best part is that there would be no need for divisional realignment as the Chargers could stay in the AFC West and the rivalry with the Chiefs would intensify as they would be state rivals.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #205
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't know why the NFL doesn't investigate moving them to St. Louis. The city approved $150 million stadium for Kroenke with the state also kicking in money. The NFL wouldn't get a free stadium but at least it's better than embarrassing the league with an empty LA stadium. Best part is that there would be no need for divisional realignment as the Chargers could stay in the AFC West and the rivalry with the Chiefs would intensify as they would be state rivals.
That would be interesting. Spanos does have options, and can set up a bidding war between San Diego and St. Louis if there is mutual interest in getting a NFL team back.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #206
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panthers haven't found a trade partner for Cam Newton, so they'll release him later today. Have to wonder if Belichick pulls the trigger.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #207
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of the Chargers, some on the Athletic speculating Cam Newton will end up there, now with Rivers in Indy.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #208
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

going to be interesting for sure. I wouldn't be shocked if the Chargers traded up for Tua or settled for Herbert, with Tyrod as a stop-gap. Then again, if they feel they can win now then adding Newton and using the pick somewhere else is an option too.

but like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Pats. I think McDaniels would like a more mobile QB, and they could still pick a developmental QB at some point in the draft. The thing with Newton is his health though, and Corona preventing traditional medicals could be an issue here. I'd be skeptical too.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #209
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose it's fallout from so many quarterbacks being available this offseason that the Panthers couldn't even get a middling draft pick for Newton. Teams were sniffing around Andy Dalton but the Bengals apparently are holding out for 2nd round pick which seems absurd given the fact that Winston and Newton are on the street.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #210
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose it's fallout from so many quarterbacks being available this offseason that the Panthers couldn't even get a middling draft pick for Newton. Teams were sniffing around Andy Dalton but the Bengals apparently are holding out for 2nd round pick which seems absurd given the fact that Winston and Newton are on the street.
Bungles gonna bungle.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #211
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Isn’t Newton problematically inaccurate? Of all the things Belichek values in a QB you’d have to think accuracy is #1.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #212
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Nobody wanted to take on Newtons contract.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #213
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Isn’t Newton problematically inaccurate? Of all the things Belichek values in a QB you’d have to think accuracy is #1.
They did sign Brian Hoyer yesterday but I have to imagine he's just veteran insurance. Hard to tell what the Pats are trying to do right now. McDaniels is pretty creative and could probably build something around Newton but the offense would certainly be different than what they have been running for decades. I feel they would sign Dalton if he was on the street but are too shrewd to overpay for him in a trade.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #214
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Nobody wanted to take on Newtons contract.
$20 million isn't that much for a starting QB in this day and age. I have to imagine teams aren't confident he's 100% healthy.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #215
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say the Pats are gonna tank for Trevor, but that defense is way too good to go 2-14 like will be necessary.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #216
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there's one thing I can't see Belichick do at this point, it's tanking. He's 67, and he had an elite D last year (granted, they have lost a few guys in free agency, but should still be pretty good). I'd honestly expect them to rather be in win now until Belichick retires.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #217
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
$20 million isn't that much for a starting QB in this day and age. I have to imagine teams aren't confident he's 100% healthy.
It isnt...but he isnt likely to be a starter.

He is a guy you have to design the offensive scheme around really...he just isnt a plug and play type.

On top of that no one can give him a physical...which would be an absolute must before you pay a guy 21M for a year.

He will sign somewhere as a backup or at least as a guy that has to compete for a job.....Jacksonville or Miami make sense. Just cant see Belichik taking him on.

Last edited by transplant99; 03-24-2020 at 12:25 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #218
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
If there's one thing I can't see Belichick do at this point, it's tanking. He's 67, and he had an elite D last year (granted, they have lost a few guys in free agency, but should still be pretty good). I'd honestly expect them to rather be in win now until Belichick retires.
But that's kinda why tanking makes the most sense. Sacrifice one season, get a potential elite QB on the rookie deal, and they'll have a five year window to really go for it. But if they're banking on Stidhan or Hoyer or Dalton to make them contenders, things are looking pretty bleak.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #219
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
But that's kinda why tanking makes the most sense. Sacrifice one season, get a potential elite QB on the rookie deal, and they'll have a five year window to really go for it. But if they're banking on Stidhan or Hoyer or Dalton to make them contenders, things are looking pretty bleak.
I wouldn't rule them out of anything right now as there's still plenty of options. They did go 12-4 last season with Brady playing at a non-elite level. They could sign a guy like Newton or trade for a QB. Even if they draft a young QB it could take years to get him up to speed where they could contend which doesn't fit the timeline of the defense they have built as well as Belichick's age. The only QB I don't see as a possibility is Winston because I don't think Belichick could stomach the turnovers.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #220
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

There is coaching ego to take into account. You really think Bill is gonna tank when Tom leaves and endure a year of “Brady made the Pats” talk? Unlikely. They’ll keep trying to compete. The idea of the Pats getting Lawrence because of their poor record is just the hollow memory of Indy walking bass ackwards into Luck.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post: