Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #441
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

And the Romunlans knew it was coming. Hell, it's now implied they did it on purpose

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:44 PM   #442
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone want to go in on 'Make Romulus Great Again' Hats group-purchase?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:50 AM   #443
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

"Make Romulus Exist Again" and I'm in

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #444
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
And the Romunlans knew it was coming. Hell, it's now implied they did it on purpose
Sounds like you're talking about present day Earth

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #445
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Data knew how to nerve pinch. Spock complimented him on his technique.
Picard knew how to Vulcan nerve pinch. “Starship Mine”

A I Soong is Lore.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #446
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
they were rebuilding the Artifact, and they were gonna make the Federation pay for it
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #447
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
they were rebuilding the Artifact, and they were gonna make the Federation pay for it
It was yuge! YUGE!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #448
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Wow. So good. Luved the series and it was an epic season finale.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 09:40 PM   #449
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, I thought he most meta line in the episode occurred early on:

Raffi "What's happening?"
Rios "Nothing that makes any sense."

Bingo.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #450
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I loved the end for Data. It was the last human thing he needed to experience and it was great. The relationship between Picard and Data was perfect.

Minor thing: I hate they cheaped out and used an identical model for all the starfleet ships. I love different classes and different designs and Trek is famous for their kit bashes and they have a library of ships to use from STO. They could have at least tried to diversify the fleet.

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-26-2020 at 10:01 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #451
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, the end of the data story in general was good, but "they re-created me from one neuron"? What? Data doesn't have neurons, does he? And one? How? what?

And it was weird that he was just a box sitting on the counter, and Picard unplugged USB sticks to turn him off. Would have been more interesting if he was kept in unique room of some sort.

But having a final moment with Picard was nice.

Did I miss what happened with Narek? The Romulans left, and Picard and gang left. Did they just forget to wrap up his story?

I'm wondering where the show goes. Do they head of for some real Star Trekking now? God, I sure hope so.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:19 PM   #452
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

There were too many technical inconsistencies and plot holes in this series.

For example, at first it was supposed to be a series of subspace frequencies to contact the Uber Synthetics and they would arrive. All of sudden it is building something to open a portal in space for them to come through and apparently the Uber Synthetics aren't advanced enough to find their way to that planet even though they almost came through the portal.

I decided to stop worrying about it.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 10:37 PM   #453
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Over all I liked the first series though there were of course things that drove me crazy. And yeah at the end I was like, Did Narek just leave halfway through the episode, The Soccer ball plan failed and I'm outie.

The Data death scene was ok, but I guess my problem was that out of a tremendously bad movie, the way Data's death was handled was really well done, did we really need to have a whole other Data death scene? I don't know. It was nicely done but it just seemed fan servicey.

But they did Phil Coulson Picard, I kind of get tired of shows doing these tearful death scenes and then bringing that character back, its almost like they think its this unexpected twist and we're going to be surprised by it. They could have literally left Picard's death as a cliff hanger for next year.

I've said recently that Patrick Stewart was ok but not great from the mid point of the season, as if he just got lost. But he was great in the fianale as was the rest of the crew.

If I have one complaint with the first season is that it felt over stuffed. I think sometimes these writers have no patience and have to get everything in, a show like Picard needs to have better pacing.

Oh and I hate the uber plot filler tool, the ultimate cheat device in this episode. Hey I'm imaging a microwave and a can of Ravioli pffft. I'm amazed they didn't use it as a surgical tool to fix Picard's brain.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:58 PM   #454
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was a fun first season! It had some flaws for sure, but overall I think it's a much more enjoyable show than Discovery. It was great seeing Picard, Riker, and Seven back in action, and I liked the way they concluded Data's story.

So I guess Picard and his ragtag crew are now gonna head off to explore the galaxy and get themselves into adventures, Firefly style? Works for me. I'm looking forward to season 2, provided they're able to start filming eventually. I assume pretty much every production in Hollywood is currently on hold for the time being.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #455
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I needed some time to digest the finale yesterday. Overall, I have mixed feelings about it.

Things that were awesome:
- Riker back in the chair. Booyah!
- Data’s death. Very well-played. I hadn’t even considered that Data would want to die but it makes sense to me, in terms of his quest to experience being human.
- Stewart was great.
- I liked the different character groups and the race to make a plan to stop the oncoming chaos. I always enjoy that aspect of Trek.

Things that were not awesome:
- Oh and the Romulan fleet backing down so easily. It was cool that they didn’t resort to all-out battle and on the other hand, I don’t buy Oh giving up so easily, given the significance that plot was given for much of the season.
- Soooo, is Jurati still getting turned in? Or are we a big happy family now?
- What about the Borg cube? I thought the Borg would have an interesting backstory...or something significant this season. I guess not. I found this frustrating. Maybe they’re leaving it dangling for Season 2?
- As mentioned, what happened to Narek? Also dangling for Season 2? I can only hope so...the writing couldn’t be that lazy...could it?
- Picard’s death. The crying scenes may have had some more weight if he was really gone...but then he is back (albeit in a slightly different form) shortly after.

Not the worst finale and not the best, IMO. And that’s ok. Each Trek show has taken time to find itself and that’s important to remember. It was still great to have a new episode to look forward to each week. Season 1 was worth it for “Nepenthe” alone. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with for Season 2. Please don’t gloss over the Borg and Narek.

Last edited by Tabaracci_31; 03-27-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #456
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Really enjoyed the first season. Watched some old TNG key episodes intermittently with it, which brought it together well.

The end of the first season was the only disappointment in that
Spoiler!
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #457
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overall the season was about a 5 out of 10. Too many characters that I didn't care about. Especially the samarui guy who could have been completely omitted and it wouldn't make a difference to the show.

Hopefully they can return to the roots of Star Trek and season 2 will be episodic.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #458
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the season of Picard was pretty good in getting viewers familiar with the cast of characters. Maybe even more successful than the first couple of seasons of STTNG. I think this segues better in episodic television, if that’s how they decide to pursue future seasons. I feel like after this season, I know Rios, Jurati, Raffi better than I did the cast of STTNG.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #459
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was so hoping that when they had Picard flying the ship that they'd show an outside view with the left signal blinker on.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #460
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I stopped after episode 3 as I didn't like the serial format and wanted to just binge it. Now I'm caught up. Overall, I enjoyed it and would give it a 7 out of 10. It won't go down as great sci-fi, or even above average Trek in my opinion, but it wasn't Voyager trash.

I might be a little harsh as I've never been a big fan of robots are real people too sci-fi. I understand that Trek is famous for thinly veiled analogies and they are trying to beat a racism drum to death, but there are just too many plot holes and they always keep changing the rules in an attempt to try and make the artificial life unique, and not something that can be easily copied or mass produces, as it would inherently be.

A few questions, other than what happened to the Romulan Jamie Lannister:

1) So Data, the most famous android of all time has been living in a simulation for the last 20 years. Why did they never bother to build him a body or talk to him?

2) The girl android that "died" from some jewellery in the eye, why didn't they just fix her? I mean Data got decapitated regularly in TNG and in this show they established that an android can be rebuilt from a single positron.

3) Why did the twin androids get sent to earth and a borg cube with altered memories? What was the girl's mother doing when she put her to sleep every night?
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote