Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2020, 04:26 PM   #361
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've never seen anything like that before. The unintended benefit was to the actors and their total immersion in the environment.

I think its really cool that it uses game engines, and you need to think of the actors as the players and the camera can be controlled like a video game camera.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #362
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Filmed version of Hamilton with the original cast hits Disney+ on July 3. That will be huge.
Oh man, that is such awesome news. I really don't like theatre or musicals but Hamilton seems like such a great Production that I'm actually looking forward to seeing it. If I don't like it I can just turn it off without feeling bad for having spent hundreds of dollars for tickets.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #363
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Oh man, that is such awesome news. I really don't like theatre or musicals but Hamilton seems like such a great Production that I'm actually looking forward to seeing it. If I don't like it I can just turn it off without feeling bad for having spent hundreds of dollars for tickets.
Original cast too

Which you wont see at the theater anymore
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #364
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

OAR Simpsons are now available.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1266044763997908996
Old 05-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #365
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Mandalorian gallery was great today, they talked about practical effects and had a whole segment on Baby Yoda. They talked about WH almost forgetting that it was a puppet and giving it acting tips and lessons.

Overall a fun half hour.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #366
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

My daughter just loves the original Lion King so I thought we'd try the new one. Even though the CGI is an incredible achievement that deserves praise I did not like. The style gives it the feel of a nature documentary which didn't work for me at all when trying to tell a fantastical story of singing and dancing animals involved in a Shakespearean drama. It felt so dull and sterile. Also all the extended scenes to show off the CGI really hurt the pacing. This should not be a 2 hour movie. I will however give Chiwetel Ejiofor credit. I didn't think anyone could replace Jeremy Irons but he was acceptable. 5/10

My daughter's updated Disney+ power rankings:

1. Lion King
2. Frozen 2
3. Toy Story
4. Moana
5. Bambi
Old 06-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #367
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
My daughter just loves the original Lion King so I thought we'd try the new one. Even though the CGI is an incredible achievement that deserves praise I did not like. The style gives it the feel of a nature documentary which didn't work for me at all when trying to tell a fantastical story of singing and dancing animals involved in a Shakespearean drama. It felt so dull and sterile. Also all the extended scenes to show off the CGI really hurt the pacing. This should not be a 2 hour movie. I will however give Chiwetel Ejiofor credit. I didn't think anyone could replace Jeremy Irons but he was acceptable. 5/10

My daughter's updated Disney+ power rankings:

1. Lion King
2. Frozen 2
3. Toy Story
4. Moana
5. Bambi
Wow Bambi the total wildcard in there.

My daughter loves Moana and so do I. She is 15 and claims to be over Frozen 2 but she has watched it more than once and if I suggested another viewing, she'd be all over it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 09:09 PM   #368
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The only Disney movie that my 3-year old wants on repeat right now is Moana, which I'm considering a minor blessing. All the songs in that are pretty damn good, and as far as Disney princesses go it's hard to top one where she's the actual hero and doesn't need to be saved by some token prince
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #369
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah Moana is great especially for ignoring many of the tired Disney tropes. The princess actually has agency with no love interest, her parents are alive, the music is decent, there are no talking animals, indigenous cultures are treated with respect, and the ending is unpredictable. It also has the best water animation ever and features Alan Tudyk voicing a chicken and Jemain Clement doing his Bowie impression.

I’d say it and Lion King are the two best Disney animated films.

Also speaking of princesses and water we gave the Little Mermaid a try the other day. Wow it hasn’t aged well. There is definitely room for improvement in the remake to make Ariel a more interesting character than just wanting a man.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #370
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still like Tangled and The Emperor’s New Groove best, but I’m a big weirdo.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #371
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I still like Tangled and The Emperor’s New Groove best, but I’m a big weirdo.

No the Emperor's new groove is one of the best kids movies with a lot of subtle adult humor in it.

Still one of my favorite animated movies.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #372
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm kind of disappointed with the lack of content. So far Disney+ is living off the Disney and Start Wars catalogue and the Mandalorian. Any other channel with such little new content would be dead in the water.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #373
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm kind of disappointed with the lack of content. So far Disney+ is living off the Disney and Start Wars catalogue and the Mandalorian. Any other channel with such little new content would be dead in the water.
It’s a children’s channel. They survive as the babysitter of the pandemic.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #374
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Monsters Inc has held top spot in my house with my 2 year old daughter for several months. It knocked off Coco a while back and has been the favourite since then. Moana is a very close second right now though, and I think will take top spot soon. As others mentioned, Moana is top quality.

1) Monsters Inc/University
2) Moana
3) Coco
4) Onward
5) Frozen
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #375
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton trailer out.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 11:10 PM   #376
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've cancelled Disney for now, I'm going to let the content build up probably til the fall and then resign up then.

A new epsisode of the Mandalorian doc isn't enough. I'm also gassing Amazon Prime for now but holding onto Netflix maybe.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:53 PM   #377
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't think I'd bother with Disney+ if not for my daughter. Star Wars, Marvel, and the Simpsons isn't quite enough to justify the cost especially if you already own some of the DVDs.

Anyways, I've been watching through The Simpsons lately. It's bringing back so many memories from watching as a teenager. I think it was Channel 7 in Calgary that had the reruns and then also the Fox Spokane channel? One thing I'm really noticing is just how jam packed the episodes are with references to older pop culture I never understood at the time. It's evidence of great writing that I still got enjoyment despite not getting all of it.

Here are my views on each season:
1: Feels a bit like a pilot season with the lower quality animation and different voices. Dull at times but still some good moments.
2-3: Excellent television. The show is really starting to find its feet.
4-7: Some of the best TV ever made. Just brilliant hilarious episode after brilliant hilarious episode.
8: Still excellent but starting to lose the lustre.
9-12: Big drop in quality but still worth watching for a few solid moments/episodes.
13+: don't bother.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:02 AM   #378
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've cancelled Disney for now, I'm going to let the content build up probably til the fall and then resign up then.

A new epsisode of the Mandalorian doc isn't enough. I'm also gassing Amazon Prime for now but holding onto Netflix maybe.
I hope that Disney starts dumping a lot more Fox content into Disney + soon. In particular animated shows like King of the Hill and American Dad as well as Futurama (if they still own that.) Some of the other shows that would be great to see would be Beverley Hills 90210, Party of Five, The Fringe, House. I don't actually know which shows they have the rights to anymore but more content is needed.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #379
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine delays around the new Marvel shows are going to hurt their new subscriber numbers. For now, the animated vault is really the big draw for families.

They definitely seem to be going more for quality over quantity.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #380
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not surprisingly Hamilton was fantastic. Only thing I didn’t really like were all the cuts and camera angles. Would have preferred some longer shots to give you a real audience perspective. The spittle on King George though! Talk about speaking moistly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: