Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #1021
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife wont ride because of the grief she has received when riding shared use paths or trails. You ring a bell, they're annoyed with the noise. Or they jump and they're pissed off at you. You can't win.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #1022
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
My wife wont ride because of the grief she has received when riding shared use paths or trails. You ring a bell, they're annoyed with the noise. Or they jump and they're pissed off at you. You can't win.

If you're getting the reaction of a person being startled, is it possible bell was a bit late? The times I have been startled is when the person rings their bell as they're basically passing by you.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #1023
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, they're usually people with ear buds in. If you don't like being surprised, maybe pay more attention to your surroundings.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #1024
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is really no winning with warnings. Later we were going past Edworthy, and a train was going by, so it was obviously super loud. My wife rang her bell several times, got no response, so said "passing on your right" We were going about 15km/h. The women turns and says "use your bell!" As if using her voice was some affront to humanity.

I try to ring from a distance then a middle range, then when I am close if I haven't noticed any indication that the person heard me. And that is if they are off to the side. If they have dogs, or are walking near the line I'm giving a vocal warning when I get close. Unless they look totally oblivious to the world around them, then they get the thunder horn. Not my fault if I startle you at that point.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #1025
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

yesterday, i iphone-speedometered my 7 year old on the pathway. 21 km/h. i am tempted to send my kid through the next radar trap to see what happens.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #1026
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
yesterday, i iphone-speedometered my 7 year old on the pathway. 21 km/h. i am tempted to send my kid through the next radar trap to see what happens.
What do kids get for allowance these days? It might take a while to pay off the ticket.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #1027
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It would be worth every penny. She'd become the poster-child for meaningful speed rule reform. I'm down with busy areas/blind corners being 10km/h zones, but 20 is too slow for the other 100+ kms of pathway in town. Like if I get pulled over on the bow river east section at 645am, I will go full freeman of the land on the bylaw officer.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #1028
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biked to work today, what’s the deal with Bow Village Crescent? That road is like a DMZ.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #1029
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
It would be worth every penny. She'd become the poster-child for meaningful speed rule reform. I'm down with busy areas/blind corners being 10km/h zones, but 20 is too slow for the other 100+ kms of pathway in town. Like if I get pulled over on the bow river east section at 645am, I will go full freeman of the land on the bylaw officer.
It seems like bylaw is probably a lot more likely to be out on weekends in busy areas (if, like they say, the goal is to make the paths safer).
Looking to ticket commuters early on weekdays would send a pretty clear message that they're just looking to cash in on the growing cyclist commuter community.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 AM   #1030
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
It seems like bylaw is probably a lot more likely to be out on weekends in busy areas (if, like they say, the goal is to make the paths safer).
Looking to ticket commuters early on weekdays would send a pretty clear message that they're just looking to cash in on the growing cyclist commuter community.
The only times I ever remember seeing them have been weekdays.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #1031
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i would say of the handful of times i have seen the bylaw folks - 3/4 of them have been during the week and then one time on a weekend in sandy beach area.

i would agree if they are out doing enforcement before 8 they are looking to raise money as most folks would simply be trying to get to work 5 minutes sooner not looking to set strava times.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #1032
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Biked to work today, what’s the deal with Bow Village Crescent? That road is like a DMZ.
That road has been that way for as long as I can remember (15+ years)

Quote:
Granted I don't typically frequent the paths near DT on weekends but the only times I have seen speed traps set up are weekday afternoons during the commute.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #1033
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Adding to the notes above, most times I've heard of the bylaw guys being out ticketing cyclists is on the river pathway on the morning commute. Sometimes you can get a heads up by checking #yycbike on Twitter.

For anyone who's still fuming over the fine increase, I emailed my councillor and got back a pretty detailed response. I would encourage you to do the same.

Quote:
Speeding on pathways up to 10 km/h over the limit now carries a specified penalty of $150, with speeding of more than 10 km/h over the limit carrying a specified fine of $400. There is an additional specified fine for “unsafe speed on a pathway” of $400.
  1. The change was the result of changing the entire Pathway bylaw. Council didn’t notice they were going up so much and Parks didn’t bother to bring it up.
  2. Speeding on the pathway was identified by Calgarians as a top concern (plus inflation...).
  3. Parks wants a “heavy hammer” for people who recklessly speed, most infractions are just a warning.
  4. Druh Farrell agrees the amount is excessive (lighter than cars + lower speeds = less kinetic energy = less damage) and "is considering" bringing forward a reconsideration to bring the amounts in line with driving.
  5. Pathway speed limits were initially set based on their use for "recreation" not for commuting. There was discussion of revisiting the limits, but council was not interested. Getting them changed is unlikely.

Last edited by Flames0910; 06-11-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #1034
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the first admission is dereliction of duty. Nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #1035
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Adding to the notes above, most times I've heard of the bylaw guys being out ticketing cyclists is on the river pathway on the morning commute. Sometimes you can get a heads up by checking #yycbike on Twitter.

For anyone who's still fuming over the fine increase, I emailed my councillor and got back a pretty detailed response. I would encourage you to do the same.

1. The change was the result of changing the entire Pathway bylaw. Council didn’t notice they were going up so much and Parks didn’t bother to bring it up.
  2. Speeding on the pathway was identified by Calgarians as a top concern (plus inflation...).
  3. Parks wants a “heavy hammer” for people who recklessly speed, most infractions are just a warning.
  4. Druh Farrell agrees the amount is excessive (lighter than cars + lower speeds = less kinetic energy = less damage) and "is considering" bringing forward a reconsideration to bring the amounts in line with driving.
  5. Pathway speed limits were initially set based on their use for "recreation" not for commuting. There was discussion of revisiting the limits, but council was not interested. Getting them changed is unlikely.
I would email my councilor, but it's Farkas.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #1036
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd email mine, but it's Chu.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #1037
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely write in ALL CAPS then.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #1038
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe you can trick him into it by showing that it's an opportunity to grandstand?
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #1039
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He is a fellow cyclist though, but I think more of the "weekend warrior" variety that rides out of town.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #1040
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So the first admission is dereliction of duty. Nice.

In fairness, councillors definitely get a tonne of paperwork to review every day, and they’re probably relying on the executive summary. I read the executive summary and it mentions that fines were increased, but refers to the appendix for what the fines are. If I was a councillor I probably would have skipped it too. Someone should have taken a closer look though.